Old 09-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Jane

Default buds are starting to swell

Hi all, I finally have some swelling buds here in Maryland 6b and most of
the damage I incurred was from planting the last ones too high for last
winter. We're having so much rain things are shooting up like rockets. Guess
I'll be fungiciding this weekend. All in all I think it's going to be very
pretty here soon.
I'm excited to say I was in the Memphis Botanical Gardens last Saturday and
all roses and Irises were blooming beautifully there. The rose selections
were lovely but they didn't bother to keep the names on so many of them I
was disappointed. I had the impression they were short of funds or staff.

In Anticipation,
Jane

Old 10-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Shiva

On Fri, 09 May 2003 03:39:20 GMT, "Jane"
wrote:

Hi all, I finally have some swelling buds here in Maryland 6b

Jane, I really have lost all perspective on the differences between NC
and MD climates and growing seasons. My first flushes are finished,
some roses are beginning their second, and my bare roots are budding
and showing some color.

BTW--the mosquitos have been out for at least two weeks. It's all a
trade off!

In Anticipation,
Jane

Old 10-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Jane

Thanks for sharing that Shiva...especially about hte mosquitoes (grin). I'd
love to see picture!
Jane

Old 10-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Jane

Hi Henry, do you ever go to DR Snell Nursery off rte 70 in Mt.Airy? Loads of
good selections of roses. My local Thanksgiving Farms in Buckeystown is
filled with exotic other things, but no roses yet.
Do you have pictures?
Jane
"Henry" wrote in message
. ..
Jane wrote:
Hi all, I finally have some swelling buds here in Maryland 6b and most

of
the damage I incurred was from planting the last ones too high for last
winter. We're having so much rain things are shooting up like rockets.

Guess
I'll be fungiciding this weekend. All in all I think it's going to be

very
pretty here soon.

Most of my roses are also in the bud stage although the rugosa seedlings
are in bloom (first bloom on Wednesday). Blanc Double de Coubert is
just about to pop. Only a few aphids so far, usually there are swarms
of them by now.

--
Henry
Gaithersburg, MD

Old 12-05-2003, 03:56 AM
Henry

Jane wrote:
Hi Henry, do you ever go to DR Snell Nursery off rte 70 in Mt.Airy? Loads of
good selections of roses. My local Thanksgiving Farms in Buckeystown is
filled with exotic other things, but no roses yet.
Do you have pictures?

I bought a few roses at Dr. Snell last year. Nice place. I haven't
been there yet this year. We were at Thanksgiving Farms yesterday for
my wife's annual Mother's Day spree. ;-)

Today we stopped at Johnson's, right by you. Although everything is
overpriced, I bought Pat Austin (for which I have to blame Shiva). I
planted that and New Dawn (a gift from someone at work) this afternoon.

--
Henry

Old 12-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Shiva

On Sun, 11 May 2003 21:50:59 -0400, Henry
wrote:

I bought Pat Austin (for which I have to blame Shiva).

I was marveling at this rose today. Wonderful color gradations and as
it ages, even some blushing at the outer petal edges. I will be
interested to know what you think of the scent. And how you would
characterize it!

-- I planted that and New Dawn (a gift from someone at work) this afternoon.

You must be well liked at work! I planted my New Dawn last fall as a
small potted grafted rose. It was among the last to bloom, is just now
half full of buds with perhaps 10-15 blooms. What I love about it--the
dainty, dark green, slightly rounded leaves, the floriferousness, and
the medium rosy scent. There is an example of this rose that grows on
the grounds of the NC Governor's Mansion, so I had occasion to watch
its habits for ten years or so. Although on the north side of the
building and fairly severely pruned every year, it was the first thing
to bloom in the spring and the last to bloom each fall, sometimes
giving blossoms as late as December. I liked it so much I could not
believe my luck the day I looked down and saw the metal J&P tag at the
base! This rose gets big if you let it, but does quite well if you
don't. Up in Maryland your mileage may indeed vary. I think this was
the first patented rose?
Old 12-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Henry

Shiva wrote:
On Sun, 11 May 2003 21:50:59 -0400, Henry wrote:
I bought Pat Austin (for which I have to blame Shiva).

I was marveling at this rose today. Wonderful color gradations and as
it ages, even some blushing at the outer petal edges. I will be
interested to know what you think of the scent. And how you would
characterize it!

They had both Pat Austin and Jude the Obscure (among others) but I
decided I'd go with this one for now. After all, it's Mother's Day so I
couldn't buy too much for myself. Jude is still on my list. Johnson's
is overpriced so even at 20% off it was $32 but it's a lovely, large,
healthy plant so I guess it's worth it. I'll let you know how it does
and how I like it. My wife's not sure about the mix of colors I've got
but I don't care. I don't think she will, either, when they are all
blooming. I'll mix perennials around the them to fill in and add to the
riot of color.

[...]

The New Dawn was rooted by a friend so will be growing on it's own
roots. Don't know what difference that might make. I'm going to grow
it along my front fence (from the outside). I currently have four roses
on the inside (Linda Campbell, Johann Strauss, Auguste Renoir, and
Barbara Bush) plus those growing up the arbor at the end of the walk (at
the gate)(Zephirine Drouhin, Sombreuil, and Madame Isaac Pereire). Now
with these two outside, I'm really running out of space up front. The
south side of the gate just doesn't get enough sun. There's a very
large buddleia that may have to go. I think it will give me room for
two or three more...

--
Henry

Old 12-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Henry

Jane wrote:
Do you have pictures?

The latest are here (05/11/2003):
http://www.dotrose.com/whatsinbloom/

--
Henry

Old 12-05-2003, 03:57 PM
Jane

Oooh! Makes me wish I was a mother!
Where's Johnson's?
Jane
"Henry" wrote in message
news

Old 12-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Shiva

On Sun, 11 May 2003 23:37:55 -0400, Henry
wrote:

They had both Pat Austin and Jude the Obscure (among others) but I
decided I'd go with this one for now. After all, it's Mother's Day so I
couldn't buy too much for myself. Jude is still on my list. Johnson's
is overpriced so even at 20% off it was $32 but it's a lovely, large,
healthy plant so I guess it's worth it.

Sometimes the sheer ease of picking up a big healthy specimen of a
rose you really want at a pricey local garden center is worth the
extra money. My Pat Austin is a Muncy's ownroot, and I do recommend
Ken and Suzie Muncy for ownroot roses. They will not ship to
California, but they will ship to you. There is a website:

http://www.muncyrose.com/

If you look, remember that the price includes shipping. The one-gallon
ownroot of Jude the Obscure is $16.95. (You can also get a
three-gallon grafted Jude for $26.95 total, including shipping.) The
roses come packed kind of funky but are always intact and, best of
all, they take off like weeds! I planted Pat Austin, Golden
Celebration, Tradescant, and three Abraham Darbys last fall (not a
really good idea here as we can have nippy winters) and they came
through GREAT despite just a few oak leaves for insulation. And they
were so small! Each has produced 10-15 roses so far, that's how much
they have grown!

He has a nice list of Austins, Henry! Check our Happy Child!

I'll let you know how it does
and how I like it. My wife's not sure about the mix of colors I've got
but I don't care. I don't think she will, either, when they are all
blooming.

You are a smart man! The odd colored roses add interest. There is
nothing more boring to me than a fistfull of pastel pink and white
roses. I took a bouquet to a neighbor that had some Pat Austin,
(coppery) plus Tradescant (gorgeous deep velvety wine) Jude the
Obscure (buttery) and Abraham Darby--most gorgeous handful of roses I
have seen in a long time.

Have you seen Distant Drums? Speaking of unusual? I have four. It is
the first rose I have four of. I am truly smitten with this rose.
Fragrant, too.

The New Dawn was rooted by a friend so will be growing on it's own
roots. Don't know what difference that might make.

I would love to hear progress reports. From what I hear it is hard to
find a more vigorous rose, so I imagine it is a perfect one to grow on
its own roots.

I'm going to grow
it along my front fence (from the outside).

MIne has the entire end of the new rectangulat bed--I left it five
feet on each side, and it has a chainlink fence to grow on. On one
side, Barbra Streisand, at the juncture of the side fence, on the
other, Blue Nile, at the other juncture. Framing this, viewed from the
end of the bed, is Joseph's Coat, Climbing Rainbow's End (when I get
mine) and Golden Celbration and Pat Austin and Abe Darby! So its
Orange, yellow, purple, pink, lavendar, pink (Paul Neyron, can't
forget him) Orange-pink (Darby) golden yellow, Orange! Then there are
Simply Marvelous, Royal Amethyst, and Outta the Blue, ranging from
grapey mauve to deep purply-something, respectively. My garden is
probably your wife's idea of a bad dream! Contrast, CONTRAST, I love
contrast! I don't know why, it just does it for me.

I currently have four roses
on the inside (Linda Campbell, Johann Strauss, Auguste Renoir, and
Barbara Bush)

Of these I have only seen Barbara Bush, which is such a good,
floriferous rose in a friend's garden that I am tempted to buy it,
even though it has no scent to my nose. How do you like it?

plus those growing up the arbor at the end of the walk (at
the gate)(Zephirine Drouhin, Sombreuil, and Madame Isaac Pereire). Now
with these two outside, I'm really running out of space up front. The
south side of the gate just doesn't get enough sun. There's a very
large buddleia that may have to go.

Oh, yes ... the .... Buddleia ... must ... GO! ;0)

I think it will give me room for
two or three more...

Yippee! More roses!

--
Henry

Old 12-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Henry

Jane wrote:
Oooh! Makes me wish I was a mother!
Where's Johnson's?

Oops. I went back and checked and it's Kate Kaercher that's near
Johnson's, not you. It's at the intersection of Rt. 28 and Quince
Orchard Road in Gaithersburg. They do have a nice selection.

--
Henry

Old 12-05-2003, 06:08 PM
dave weil

wrote:

[...]

One thing worth noting is that Muncy's roses are all fortuniana
rootstock. This means that for those of us in zone 6b and north,
special care has to be taken with winter care. For a long time, it was
thought that this rootstock really didn't do well here in Nashville.
Now it turns out that it does just fine, we just have to do the high
mulch and leaf mounding that those in zones 5 and 4 have to do
routinely, something that we normally don't have to worry too much
about. Plus, there are another couple of minor considerations as well.
Someone wrote an article in the local rose society newsletter about
growing them as an experiment and he had some good success.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Unique Too

dave weil writes:

One thing worth noting is that Muncy's roses are all fortuniana
rootstock.

He sells both ownroot and grafted.
From his website:
"We carry a line of Hybrid Teas, Floribunda and OGR's. We are most excited
about our new line of David Austin roses. We will be offering them as well as
all our roses either own root or grafted on Fortuniana. All our roses a
guaranteed virus free and healthy.".
http://www.muncyrose.com/frame.html
Julie

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 04:57 AM
Buds! Buds! NTANTIQUES Roses 21 03-02-2011 05:48 PM
Buds - Buds.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 4 31-07-2007 03:33 AM
Starting off a planted tank -- starting one (or maybe) two strikes down.... [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 09-11-2005 02:31 AM
swell gift idea Birchy Ponds 0 22-12-2004 12:24 AM