Old 10-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Kim

Default About grafted roses...

If you need to cut back a grafted rose, how do you know how much is TOO much?
Are all the stalks that come from the main canes coming from a graft at the bud
union on the main stalk? And are the the flowers on them from the grafted stock
rather than the root stock? Sorry if I'm sounding confused, but I sort of am.

If someone can point me to an article or two to read about how grafting is done
I'd appreciate it.

--

Kim

"We have done so much with so little for so long that now we can do anything
with nothing." -- Dave Marcis
Old 11-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Shiva

Kim wrote:

If you need to cut back a grafted rose, how do you know how much is TOO

much?

Why do you "need" to cut it back? The only reason I ever do is serious
disease such as canker, or if I must move a rose that is too large to
handle. Never prune severely unless you have a good reason. Don't cut off
canes because of blackspot, that is just stupid, though lots of people do
it. If you leave the cane and remove the diseased leavea, Voila! New
leaves in a couple of weeks.

Are all the stalks that come from the main canes coming from a graft at

the bud union on the main stalk? And are the the flowers on them from the
grafted stock rather than the root stock? Sorry if I'm sounding
confused, but I sort of am.

Everything above the bud union is the rose you ordered, everything below
is the rootstock. It could not be simpler.