Old 10-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Roger

Default black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspppOOOTTTSSSS!!!!!!

Why don't someone talk about "BLACK SPOTS"? Is it like venerial
disease- - -something if you have it, you just don't talk about it????

Now that I have your attention, I would also like your help. I am
sure there is someone out there that manages their roses in a manner
that they do not have any problem with black spots.

My roses are along a fence, full sun, not crowded, yet black spots has
been a nightmare for the past several years. Last fall, I decided I
would "take the bull by the horns" and eliminate this problem. I
removed all my old mulch. Totally wet the rosebush, as well as the
ground around the plant with fungicide. In January, when we had a
warm spell, I sprayed with dormant spray and when the folage came out,
I sprayed with a fungicide. I have used at least three different
bands of fungicide.

I have 23 roses, over half of them have black spots, some to the point
of defoliating some of the canes.

QUESTION!: What is a good fungicide spray and how often do apply
it??

Could it be that I water too often (drip about every 4 days) ?

Are there any "home remedies" that might work.

Oh, I live in the central US.

Thank you in advance, Roger
Old 11-05-2003, 12:08 AM
jammer

You didnt search the group for headers with black spot in it, did ya?
We have been talking about it. People here will tell you (or you can
read back and see) to use this and that spray. I want to add to all
that; you may try $120 worth of stuff and nothing will work. You have
to decide if the spots are more unsightly than the flowers are pretty.
You either live with it or pull the plant. This is my opinion after
trying everything everyone suggested from several sources, over 3 yrs.
I STILL have black spot but the flowers can't be beat!

Old 11-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Roger

Hi Jammer, I appreciate your post. Yes I searched the headers, at
least back thru Feb 03. That is all I have on my computer, and there
was no headers with Black Spots?? Is there another place I can search,
or am I doing it wrong- -I would like to read the post. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Scopata Fuori

Try a search for blackspot instead of Black Spot.

Believe me, we all have it. For some it's worse of a problem than others,
but the fungus: it's EVERYWHERE.

Scopata Fuori

Old 12-05-2003, 01:08 AM
jammer

On Sun, 11 May 2003 14:53:46 GMT, Roger wrote:

Hi Jammer, I appreciate your post. Yes I searched the headers, at
least back thru Feb 03. That is all I have on my computer, and there
was no headers with Black Spots?? Is there another place I can search,
or am I doing it wrong- -I would like to read the post. Thanks.
On Sat, 10 May 2003 17:07:34 -0500, jammer j@mmer wrote:

Is it humid where you are? I have read unless you chose plants that
are resistant to fungi, humidity brings it on.

Old 12-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Theo Asir

I'll second Jammer.

Black spot control(not elimination)
is an year round activity.

Now that I've scared you let me add
that it's work but for those gorgeous
flowers its not much.

The big one is spraying with lime-sulphur
twice in winter. Strip leaves and generally
clean up before and after spray.

Then prevention is the watch word.
Use the Cornell formula and spray
after every rain when the temp is below 90F.

This way I never see BS till August and even
then it is small localized patches.

To deal w/ the localized patches get
some Cleary's 3336. This is one of the few
fungicides that actually kills the existing
fungus not just prevent its spread

Much shovel pruning occurs in my garden to get rid
of the weak roses. This month Candelabra & Showbiz
are slated to meet their maker after their spring flush.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 12-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Roger

Thanks Jammer and Theo, You have made my day a little brighter.

I think "Theo's plan" is what I need, in addition to the advice- -That
is Shovel pruning.

I don't know why I keep sickly specimines and try to revive them. It
would be cheaper to just dig them up and replace them.

Thanks Guys!