Old 14-05-2003, 09:56 PM
JimS.

Default problem with my roses-need help

It is a pain in the ass.
But if you can get a clean bloom and without blackspot, it really is very
nice looking. Nice fragrance too. But you're right, if this year is as bad
as last, she's toast.

JimS.

"Theo Asir" wrote in message

I never hear anything good about this
rose why do people still try to grow it.

Just Curious.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"Ol' Thornfinger" wrote in message

My Blue Girl is a regular Typhoid Mary too. She picks up everything.

So
far, I've managed to keep the blackspot to a minimum, but I figure

it's
only
a matter of time. No blooms yet, so I don't know if they'll be brown

yet,
but they were last year.

JimS.
Seattle

My thrips seems to have a love affair with my Blue Girl..

Old 15-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Me

I don't know what kind of roses I have unfortunately. And I don't smell any
fragrance.

Sorry ...
It's on my lost to figure out.

Old 15-05-2003, 03:44 PM
MaryMind

My neighbor's is absolutely glorious this year and I'm extremely jealous
and planning on getting one for myself!!
The only thing strange is that now she's two rose buses in one due to an
injudicious pruning session by an amateur gardner last Fall.
Located in Zone 7 Chapel Hill NC
Mary

Old 16-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Susan H. Simko

Radika Kesavan wrote:

Interesting. There are only two roses amongst my 100 plus roses which
exhibit this phenomenon of getting damaged by the rain also; one is Blue
Ribbon and the other is Sheer Bliss. Just two ... I wonder ...

I wonder if it is a function of certain kind of petal weight and colour
combination. All the roses the three of us have mentioned so far - SdlM,
Blue Girl, Blue Ribbon and Sheer Bliss are heavily fragrant as well as
lightish pink to mauve roses, aren't they.

Petal weight has definitely been a suspect in my mind with Blue Girl.
She has such thin delicate petals.

As far as anything else goes disease-wise, I've had a bit of problem
with black spot which was easily remedied by spraying. Both of mine are
more or less isolated (though the two are not far apart) so they get
plenty of air flow. No sign of thrips or anything else - just these
tannish edges on the outer petals that looks suspiciously like water
damage. I've only had one other rose on a different bush show the same
type of damage and this was a bloom that was pressed up against the
house where dampness got trapped between those couple of petals and the
house. That bloom was in a cluster and it was the only one that did
that and those petals on that bloom were the only ones that showed that
damage.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 16-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Theo Asir

Blue Girl is a kordes rose.
And I will always have considerable
respect for his roses.

Seems there are many lines for this rose.
Most of them weak. If you get the
vigorous line, cool, if not it sucks.

But there are so many roses that you don't
have to worry about this way!
Shakes head in incomprehension

--
Theo in Zone 5