Old 12-05-2003, 03:57 PM
R & L Porter

Default Sunsprite hardy? was Repeat Blooming Scented Yellow Rose?

"Radika Kesavan" wrote in message
, clear yellow. ... Any suggestions much
appreciated.

Sunsprite, Sunsprite, Sunsprite! Here, take a look:

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=6077

Out here, it does not so much repeat bloom as blooms constantly. And it
needs a lot of sun, in our climate, a minimum of eight hours was
recommended by the locla nurseryman from whom I bought this rose four or
five years ago.

Anyone have any idea of hardiness in Sunsprite? Is anyone out
there successfully growing it in a colder clime? I've heard raves
about this rose for years.

Laura

Old 12-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Theo Asir

Hey Laura,

I grow it w/ no die back
or damage. Really tough rose.

Really yellow too.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

news

Old 12-05-2003, 04:20 PM
R & L Porter

"Theo Asir" wrote in message
Hey Laura,

I grow it w/ no die back
or damage. Really tough rose.

Really yellow too.

Thanks Theo. No die back whatsoever? I'm impressed.
It does look extremely yellow in many of the pics I've
seen. Not for the faint of heart. Might go nice with
my yellow lilies.

My next rosy purchase (and first of this year) will
be Graham Thomas. The local nursery (as in within
spitting distance of my house) is carrying it for the first
time. There are three or four more they
are carrying that caught my eye that would fill those
empty holes in my flower beds quite nicely.

I'm going to keep my eye open for Sunsprite.

Laura

Old 12-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Radika Kesavan

R & L Porter wrote:
"Radika Kesavan" wrote in message

Sunsprite, Sunsprite, Sunsprite! Here, take a look:

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=6077

Out here, it does not so much repeat bloom as blooms constantly. And it
needs a lot of sun, in our climate, a minimum of eight hours was
recommended by the locla nurseryman from whom I bought this rose four or
five years ago.

Anyone have any idea of hardiness in Sunsprite? Is anyone out
there successfully growing it in a colder clime? I've heard raves
about this rose for years.

I know that gardeners grow it with no trouble at all with dieback in
Chicago, which is what - Zone 5? I see that Theo has given you an
answer from first-hand experience which is far, far better than my
reported answer.

Be warned though - it is a very spritely yellow, which I happen to love,
but some folks find the clear yellow colour grating.

--
Radika
California

Old 12-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Theo Asir

It has been slow getting going
this year. It just sat there while rose mary rose and
america were leafing out and getting buds.

Then suddenly there were new leaves two weeks back and
the first flower opened today. Talk about a sprint.

America & rosemary rose have still not bloomed.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 12-05-2003, 05:08 PM
dave weil

On Mon, 12 May 2003 15:16:24 GMT, "R & L Porter"
wrote:

"Theo Asir" wrote in message
news:1b29ff20925c8ab3e2d5df2e39be2f10@TeraNews. ..
Hey Laura,

I grow it w/ no die back
or damage. Really tough rose.

Really yellow too.

Thanks Theo. No die back whatsoever? I'm impressed.
It does look extremely yellow in many of the pics I've
seen. Not for the faint of heart. Might go nice with
my yellow lilies.

My next rosy purchase (and first of this year) will
be Graham Thomas. The local nursery (as in within
spitting distance of my house) is carrying it for the first
time. There are three or four more they
are carrying that caught my eye that would fill those
empty holes in my flower beds quite nicely.

I'm going to keep my eye open for Sunsprite.

Laura

One thing that I noticed about GT during its first season was that it
tended to droop around 2pm in the afternoon in full sun. in the middle
of the summer. I pretty much had to water it every day to keep this
from happening here in Nashville (zone 6b) Some of this could have
been transplant shock and I'm interested in seeing what happens this
year, now that it has a season under its belt. I've heard that it's
susceptable to this and my limited experience backs this up.

I'd try to arrange some sort of midday June, July and August dappling
shade if at all possible.

Meanwhile, GT is looking good for me at the moment.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:44 PM
R & L Porter

"dave weil" wrote in message

One thing that I noticed about GT during its first season was that it
tended to droop around 2pm in the afternoon in full sun. in the middle
of the summer. I pretty much had to water it every day to keep this
from happening here in Nashville (zone 6b) Some of this could have
been transplant shock and I'm interested in seeing what happens this
year, now that it has a season under its belt. I've heard that it's
susceptable to this and my limited experience backs this up.

I'd try to arrange some sort of midday June, July and August dappling
shade if at all possible.

Meanwhile, GT is looking good for me at the moment.

Thanks for the advice. That is a problem I have with many
of my roses in the front bed. They get sun pretty much all
day and nearly until sun set at 9 or 10 pm in the summer.
This problem is compounded by our long winters and
short growing season. By the time the roses are in bloom it is hot,
hot, hot. July is the peak of our summer and the peak of the roses.
There is no kind, gradual introduction for them. Several just wilt
after a day or two, particularly my gallica rose Tuscany Superb. I have
considered moving it again, but this would be its third move in three
years and I want to give it another shot this year to see if it can
establish
itself.

Does GT shatter as easily as I have heard? As bad as Heritage?

Laura

Old 12-05-2003, 08:32 PM
R & L Porter

R & L Porter wrote:
"Radika Kesavan" wrote in message

Sunsprite, Sunsprite, Sunsprite! Here, take a look:

I know that gardeners grow it with no trouble at all with dieback in
Chicago, which is what - Zone 5? I see that Theo has given you an
answer from first-hand experience which is far, far better than my
reported answer.

Be warned though - it is a very spritely yellow, which I happen to love,
but some folks find the clear yellow colour grating.

--
Radika
California
USDA 9 / Sunset 15

At the moment I have only one yellow rose - Goldbusch - and
even that is not a pure yellow. I also have Morden Sunrise,
but that too is not a pure yellow as it is edged in red/orange.
(This is not counting my species roses). It is time for a
nice, strong yellow. It would be a real test for Sunsprite
to survive our looooooong winters. That is something that
I have only begun to realize. I may be in the same zone as
many people farther (or is that further?) south than me, but
the shortness of our growing season does not always make
this an accurate comparison.

Rain again today. At least my grass is finally green. A few of the
roses are tentatively putting out leafs, while most are still breaking
dormancy. Only 5 weeks to the first bloom.

What's blooming in your garden, Radika?

Laura

Old 13-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Theo Asir

nice, strong yellow. It would be a real test for Sunsprite
to survive our looooooong winters. That is something that
I have only begun to realize. I may be in the same zone as
many people farther (or is that further?) south than me, but
the shortness of our growing season does not always make
this an accurate comparison.

It does seem bizzare doesn't it.
I had a friend who worked in Paris
for a year and he came away from the
experience feeling deeply deeply depressed.

Apparently Paris is on the same line as central
Canada or some thing but in winter there is only
about 8 hours of sunshine and even in summer they
never get that bone liberating deep sun & heat.
I can only shudder about london & britain.

Many of my roses have finished their first flush
though many are still in the middle of their flush.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 14-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Radika Kesavan

R & L Porter wrote:
"Radika Kesavan" wrote in message

Be warned though - it is a very spritely yellow, which I happen to
love, but some folks find the clear yellow colour grating.

At the moment I have only one yellow rose - Goldbusch - and even that
is not a pure yellow. I also have Morden Sunrise, but that too is
not a pure yellow as it is edged in red/orange. (This is not counting
my species roses). It is time for a nice, strong yellow.

King's Ransom is a wonderful yellow, as Mack also mentioned it, but he
says that it did not survive even his New Mexico (Zone 6? 7?) winters.
Too bad. You would really like it too, it has foliage that is made of
pure deep green steel. Gorgeous rose, but may be fit only for
California? It is also grown by every gardener who loves hybrid teas in
my native city in Southern India. Needs no spraying or any coddling in
that hot and steamy climate; pure green leaves, absolutely stunning in
contrast with that yellow. What is nice too is that as long as it is
half-open, the blossoms are high-centred and when the flowers open
fully, the petals curve every which way revealing a really old-fashioned
beauty.

It would be a real test for Sunsprite to survive our looooooong
winters. That is something that I have only begun to realize. I may
be in the same zone as many people farther (or is that further?)
south than me, but the shortness of our growing season does not
always make this an accurate comparison.

Aye. I can well imagine. Zone 5 South-Western Ontario is very different
from your Zone 5, isn't it.

Rain again today. At least my grass is finally green. A few of the
roses are tentatively putting out leafs, while most are still
breaking dormancy. Only 5 weeks to the first bloom.

Hurray! We have had no rain in Jan, Feb and may be even March, but then,
in April we have been breaking all kinds of records. Wreaks havoc with
many things including the bees pollinating our cherries, plums and
apples. Oh well, better than a drought.

What's blooming in your garden, Radika?

Almost everything, Laura, excpet the peonies and the hibiscus (the
tropical ones) are still sitting with tightly balled buds; the deciduous
hibiscus (Rose of Sharon) are all leafed out, gorgeous looking but no
bud setting yet; they are more a late summer / early fall bloomers
anyway. Oh, the Gallicas are not yet blooming, though the Albas finished
their shows. With this weird weather we are having, the specie roses and
the semi-species (is there such a classification?) such as Rosa foetida
bicolor and Rosa banksiae are all blooming at the same time as all the
HTs and Austins. Among the Austins, Othello is ahving the best show I
have ever seen. For two years in a row, I have chosen to not prune
Othello in winter at all, though I cut long-stemmed flowers for the vase
from him every now and then, and he seems to really like it. The
mock-orange and the citrusses finished their fragrant flowers a while
back, and the Chinese Jasmine went before that. The bearded Irises are
blooming over a very long period this year. The perennial sweet peas are
beginning their big show, some of the clematises are blooming (Niobe,
for example) but not others (Polish Spirit) though everyone looks very
happy. Some polyanthas are going gang-busters (Cl. Margo Koster and
Excellenz von Schubert, for example) but the spray Cecile Brunner is
demurely holding all her buds still shut though the nighbour's bush CB
is filled with blossoms. OTOH, when the spray CB opens up, it is going
to be a spectacular show!

Cass gave me an own-root Gruss an Teplitz when I met her at the Spring
at Guadelupe Park Festival this year, and I am cherishing it as the
treasure that it is purported to be. I have not yet decided where I
ought to plant it, so I am nurturing it in a pot. She told me that it
misbehaves in a pot, but Man, if *this* is misbehaving, I would love to
see what it would do when planted in the ground! She was also kind
enough to pick up an own-root Lavender Lassie for me from one of her
local nurseries during our earlier get-together, and I am still pondring
where to set it in the ground. There are other uncertainties in life
which makes me want to defer these decisions till those factors clear
up. OTOH, it is sort of like waiting for the waves to subside to bathe
in the ocean (that is a probverb from my mother tongue, btw).

And you? How is life treating you? It sounds like they et you out of
school for the summer may be? How did you fare in the class of the
professor whose test for law students is the proper use of the comma?

It is very nice to "see" you around these parts once again.

--
Radika
California

Old 16-05-2003, 03:08 PM
lms

In article ,
says...

R & L Porter wrote:
"Radika Kesavan" wrote in message

Be warned though - it is a very spritely yellow, which I happen to
love, but some folks find the clear yellow colour grating.

At the moment I have only one yellow rose - Goldbusch - and even that
is not a pure yellow. I also have Morden Sunrise, but that too is
not a pure yellow as it is edged in red/orange. (This is not counting
my species roses). It is time for a nice, strong yellow.

King's Ransom is a wonderful yellow, as Mack also mentioned it, but he
says that it did not survive even his New Mexico (Zone 6? 7?) winters.
Too bad. You would really like it too, it has foliage that is made of
pure deep green steel. Gorgeous rose, but may be fit only for
California?

comes close to being hardy here, just not close enough. this rose grew next
to the Pink Peace by the front door in Alamogordo for as long as I can
remember, but it's about a hundred miles south and doesn't get the brunt of
the jet as we do. I grew it for quite a few years actually, remember the
winter it checked out. grew with Granada, Voodoo and that yellow hybrid
tea single Roses of Yesterday and Today used to sell. that one was a most
unusual rose, died completely back every year--disappeared--and then threw out
two or three or four 4-5' footers. So it's Granada and Voodoo there now.
Big guys both, pushin 15. The other day I was checking them out, thinking how
lucky they were to be sitting in the three inches of Rio Grande flood plain
which makes up the front yard out yonder by the fence. Every three weeks
a flood, it's a pretty good deal. Doesn't cost me a dime?

It is also grown by every gardener who loves hybrid teas in
my native city in Southern India. Needs no spraying or any coddling in
that hot and steamy climate; pure green leaves, absolutely stunning in
contrast with that yellow. What is nice too is that as long as it is
half-open, the blossoms are high-centred and when the flowers open
fully, the petals curve every which way revealing a really old-fashioned
beauty.

I think you must like this rose.

Old 21-05-2003, 01:44 PM
lms

In article ,
says...

In article , lms

.. So it's Granada and Voodoo there now.
Big guys both, pushin 15.

15 what's? Years or feet?

years. they're in the glade, in the glen now, but still trying. Had years of
glory getting here, that's why I'm not so frantic over their decline. There
are places I remember, right? I should probably get another Granada and
plant it in the sun, that one's as good as they get.
Granada's always been the junior, 7-8', Voodoo 9-10'.

I need to plant Granada in da ground ASAP,
and I don't know how big.

Average to big. I don't think it would mind at all if you pruned it, I
just never have. Other than dead wood--it and Voodoo both have always done
the deadwood winter thing. Granada's a Hybrid Tea you can spot from the
foliage alone, those crinkly petals. Floradora's like this, only about 3
times as crinkly. Twisted, basically. It's blooming now, someone near and
dear spotted one of them from 25 feet. Out of the crowd, you see. Gives me
a warm fuzzy growing this rose, which has only one redeeming factor, color.
Although that foliage is right up there. All things considered, it's one of
the luckiest roses on the block.
Doesn't take too much imagination to see Floradora in Tropicana, a few short
hops with that one and you get Baby Chateau x R. Roxburghii. Alpine Glow to
Cinnabar to Baby Chateau x R. Roxburghii. there you go.

At the thought of Granada's leaves, it brings to mind the best Hybrid Tea
foliage of any of em--the first time I saw it I thought it was just me. heheh.
But that'd be Silver Jubilee, the Cocker rose. Magnificent, real dense, very
shiny, deep green. I grew it a number of years ago, grew into a stout unit,
was most puffy-chested about it and then one day one of the canes turned
*brown and the next day three more and just like that it was dead. I've
always planned on getting another. And the flowers are killer, that's the
kicker.

Old 21-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Cass

lms wrote:
says...
wrote:

Hey, better mung you addy. Some Asian porn site harvested my email addy
and now I'm spewing spam all over the internet for anyone who wants to
grow a bigger penis. (Mine's big enough already.) The annoyance is the
bounced messages come to me, hundreds a day.

So it's Granada and Voodoo there now. Big guys both, pushin 15.

15 what's? Years or feet?

years. they're in the glade, in the glen now, but still trying. Had years
of glory getting here, that's why I'm not so frantic over their decline.
There are places I remember, right? I should probably get another
Granada and plant it in the sun, that one's as good as they get. Granada's
always been the junior, 7-8', Voodoo 9-10'.

I need to plant Granada in da ground ASAP, and I don't know how big.

Average to big. I don't think it would mind at all if you pruned it, I just
never have. Other than dead wood--it and Voodoo both have always done the
deadwood winter thing. Granada's a Hybrid Tea you can spot from the foliage
alone, those crinkly petals.

I thought it was trying to mildew. Whew. Glad to know it's that way.
Already in its second flush. I'm sitting here looking at a vase of 6
blooms. My family is ectastic I finally grow a rose that looks like
something they can buy at Safeway (except it has scent).

At the thought of Granada's leaves, it brings to mind the best Hybrid Tea
foliage of any of em--the first time I saw it I thought it was just me.
heheh. But that'd be Silver Jubilee, the Cocker rose. Magnificent, real
dense, very shiny, deep green. I grew it a number of years ago, grew into a
stout unit, was most puffy-chested about it and then one day one of the canes
turned *brown and the next day three more and just like that it was dead.
I've always planned on getting another. And the flowers are killer, that's
the kicker.

I'll check that out. I know I saw it in the gloom of the UK summer but
don't remember being in love. How tall? Gotta be big or it will get
weed whacked.

I came away with the big four HT's with perfect foliage and nice
looking plants: Rosemary Harkness, Painted Moon, My Joy and Eden. I
have RH, PM and Eden own root, and Eden is the one that is growing like
corn. Painted Moon is doing okay, and Rosemary Harkness was such a weak
little 2 inch tall nothing that the nursery gave it to me. Hasn't died
yet and will probably make it. I don't think I'll ever find My Joy,
another Norman rose. The Lady was pretty, a bit insipid, but perfect
foliage, only the size of florries at that point and thus likely
victims of neglect here until they learn how to grab some attention.

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eberndoo...s/FrameSet.htm

Hard to believe they don't mulch. And what they did mulch was some dyed
chit that was sort of ghastly orangish brown.

Okay, work with me here. See if you can check out this foliage in the
pictu

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...s/Eden1949.jpg

I know, I know, it's 1950. Eden's a Peace baby by Kordes but the
foliage has nothing, zippo, zero, in common with Peace. The bloom I'm
looking at, fully open, is a good 7 incher a week old. A keeper.