Old 13-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Me

Default Additional info from poster

Hi Everyone:
Thanks for all the responses, they help.
I got some more pictures on the web site at

http://home.earthlink.net/~cenews/garden/

Here's a few things:
The picture on the top right. Although it didn't come out well in the photo,
there's a vine where the new leaves are the usual red, then they normally
turn to a healthy green. A few of the leaves are orange. It's as if someone
rubbed a cheeto on the leaf. They whole vine doesn't look healthy.

Some of my 8 plants have completely healthy leaves, some have a few yellow
mixed in. The bottom left photo gives a good example of what they look like
when they are yellow. One of the posters yesterday mentioned it's normal.

Assuming the yellow leaf is normal, and the orange can easily be explained,
the pictures give an accurate description of all my roses. The red one
covered in shade is has a wilted leaf on the outside on the outside. You can
see how the yellow looks similar in shape to the pink one

It is accurate to say it occurs on the outer part of the petal, but there's
slight damage on the inside of the petal too. I tried peeling back some of
the petals to give away for Mother's Day but these flowers aren't one's to
give away (unless you want to show someone you don't care!). When the petals
are just blooming it looks slightly brown and really ugly. I can tell the
petals that are just blooming are going to come out looking like this. Some
of the dialog in posts mention stem rotting. I wouldn't consider this the
case unless you would consider what I mention above rotting.

They normally don't get the leaves watered but I had the sprinklers on as I
was taking pictures. Any water on the petals in the last two months would
have been in a rain storm, this is the first time I've turned my sprinklers
on in months. We've had 3 or 4 rainstorms since March

Hopefully I've clarified and not convulted the thread. I appreciate the
feedback,

Craig

Old 13-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Cass

In article ink.net,
Me wrote:

Hi Everyone:
Thanks for all the responses, they help.
I got some more pictures on the web site at

http://home.earthlink.net/~cenews/garden/

Here's a few things:
The picture on the top right. Although it didn't come out well in the photo,
there's a vine where the new leaves are the usual red, then they normally
turn to a healthy green. A few of the leaves are orange. It's as if someone
rubbed a cheeto on the leaf. They whole vine doesn't look healthy.

Craig, the picture on the top right looks like something you want to
deal with. Roses aren't vines, by the way, they are shrubs. That rose
probably has a fungus called rust. You can see it on the undersides of
the leaves, and it is hard to deal with. I tend to remove roses with
rust, as I don't like to spray. On the other hand, you started watering
fairly late, so it is possible you stressed the rose and it contracted
the fungus. Now that you are watering regularly, one of the approaches
to rust is to remove all leaves by hand and throw them in the garbage.
Check for leaves on the ground too. Your rose will leaf out with new
clean foliage if you do a thorough removal.

Sorry about the blooms not meeting your standards. Roses from the
florist are very particular varieties grown hydroponically in
greenhouses, usually in South America. Garden roses are rarely as
perfect.

By the way, do your sprinklers spray your roses with water every time?
A lot of open blooms will deteriorate after being sprayed with water
several days in a row.

Last, look carefully for spots on that pink bloom and report whether
you see polka dots on the outsides of the outside petals.

Good luck.
Old 14-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Me

I'm picky on the roses because I know how incredible they were last year
All the neighbors made comments about them being so nice over the years.

I do have white spots on some of my leaves, hardly noticeable on the pink
roses but more noticeable on the yellow. I don't see any polka dots on the
rose petals though.

My sprinklers do hit the roses. Last year it was never a problem. This year
I've only had them on twice. Most of the moisture they've contracted has
been rain or general humidity.

The rust only had one of my 8 bushes. I'll prune it down.

Thanks.