Old 14-05-2003, 07:08 PM
dave weil

Default White blooms on The Fairy (Cl)

Maybe this isn't all that unusual, but today I noticed a couple of
scattered pure white blooms amongst the pink.

Is this unusual? Should I call Ripley's Believe it or Not?
chuckle Is this a reversion to one of the ancestors?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/FairyWhite.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/FairyWhite1.jpg

And no, they aren't just bleached out blooms...
Old 14-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Radika Kesavan

dave weil wrote:
Maybe this isn't all that unusual, but today I noticed a couple of
scattered pure white blooms amongst the pink.

Is this unusual? Should I call Ripley's Believe it or Not?
chuckle Is this a reversion to one of the ancestors?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/FairyWhite.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/FairyWhite1.jpg

And no, they aren't just bleached out blooms...

How neat! A white sport on The Fairy rose. I looked around to see if
sporting is reported or known for the Fairy rose, and found this essay
on the phenomenon by Paul Barden that I thought you might find interesting:

http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/main_october2002.html

Paul actually gives the name of a white sport of The Fairy rose as White
Lawrence Rose [Lawrenceana alba]. Are you going to propagate this
particular sport of The Fairy? It might be nice ... that one is very
pretty, and it will be nice to see if it turns out to be a climbing
white sport ... actually, one of those seems like ablushing pink and
the other seems to be white, at least on my monitor.

--
Radika
California

Old 14-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Theo Asir

Hey dave how's about trying
to root that sport. We could
do with another hardy white ground cover.

I've heard about Austins Mary Roses &
Winchester Cathedral sporting back & forth.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 14-05-2003, 08:20 PM
dave weil

On Wed, 14 May 2003 18:32:13 GMT, "Theo Asir"
wrote:

Hey dave how's about trying
to root that sport. We could
do with another hardy white ground cover.

I've heard about Austins Mary Roses &
Winchester Cathedral sporting back & forth.

I've got one of the local rosarians coming by in a couple of days.
She'll give it a shot.

Believe it or not, I've noticed some half-white and half-pink blooms
as well.

I've also noticed at last 10 panticles that sport these sports...

And thanks to Radika for the link as well.

I'll try to put up a shot of a half and half a little later...

Well, here it is:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/FairyWhite2.jpg
Old 14-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Theo Asir

I've got one of the local rosarians coming by in a couple of days.
She'll give it a shot.

Yay!

Believe it or not, I've noticed some half-white and half-pink blooms
as well.

Sounds just like the Mary rose situation.
check out this link.

http://www.justourpictures.com/roses...cathedral.html

I've also noticed at last 10 panticles that sport these sports...

Mark 'em! The flowers on Fairy tend to
fade to white. Ties some string or something around them.

And thanks to Radika for the link as well.

As always keeping the flock edicated. =Wink

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 14-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Radika Kesavan

Theo Asir wrote:
I've got one of the local rosarians coming by in a couple of days.
She'll give it a shot.

Yay!

Hurray, indeed! Applause, applause ...

I've also noticed at last 10 panticles that sport these sports...

Mark 'em! The flowers on Fairy tend to
fade to white. Ties some string or something around them.

Yeah, he is right, absolutely right.

And thanks to Radika for the link as well.

As always keeping the flock edicated. =Wink

LOL! Thanks, I think g?

--
Radika
California

Old 16-05-2003, 01:56 PM
lms

In article ,
says...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/FairyWhite.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/FairyWhite1.jpg

And no, they aren't just bleached out blooms...

How neat! A white sport on The Fairy rose. I looked around to see if
sporting is reported or known for the Fairy rose, and found this essay
on the phenomenon by Paul Barden that I thought you might find interesting:

http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/main_october2002.html

Paul actually gives the name of a white sport of The Fairy rose as White
Lawrence Rose [Lawrenceana alba]. Are you going to propagate this
particular sport of The Fairy? It might be nice ... that one is very
pretty, and it will be nice to see if it turns out to be a climbing
white sport ... actually, one of those seems like ablushing pink and
the other seems to be white, at least on my monitor.

I'd say about 9999 times outa ten thousand these 'sports' are just blooms
that for whatever reason come out relatively colorless--shaded under a leaf,
atmospheric conditions, the whim of Pluto, whatever. As you say, one of
them is a blushin. I grow The Fairy and it, as well as Raz Ice, Straw Ice,
Double Delight, Peace, and Kristin, to name a few, all yearly show a bloom or a
few which are practically colorless. I wouldn't really call them white, just
totally washed.
But you could be lucky. I grow a white sport of Jeanne LaJoie--Vigilance--
and I much prefer it over its clonema. Except for the blum shape it shows
little resemblance to the original, grows in a 2-3' tall by 5' wide mound.
Stays white, water doesn't bother it.

I've seen two cases of definite sports here on the plantation, one was
the easiest of all, Rose foetida bicolor, which is widely known to revert
back to Rosa foetida--several canes over the years bloomed completely
yellow from year to year. The other one was from the Hybrid Tea Madras,
which is a high-centered queenbitch and quite gojus--if you've ever seen
Madras, you know that it looks nothing like a stephen f. austin rose, an
'english rose', which this one looked like. I rather think that when you
see a real sport, you'll know it.
But I don't much buy the blush pink to white business.

Old 16-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Unique Too

dave weil writes:

Maybe this isn't all that unusual, but today I noticed a couple of
scattered pure white blooms amongst the pink.

Dave,
Last year one of my Mons. Tillier's did the same thing all season. I got pale
apricot/yellows and some half 'n half, along with regular blooms. I could
never isolate a cane where the pale color was stable. It would move from cane
to cane.
Not to suggest this will happen to The Fairy, but Mons. T cankered badly this
spring, so much so that I finally removed him. I tried to get some cuttings
rooted before the shovel found him, but none of them survived.
Julie

Dgmra. Winter Wonderland 'White Fairy' Dayton Orchid Photos 1 15-12-2007 03:06 AM
xmas fairy, naure and celtic themed spam Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 6 27-11-2003 03:02 PM
Fairy Rings Pen Phill United Kingdom 41 16-10-2003 07:22 PM
QJust a warm hello from Fairy Holler madgardener Gardening 7 18-06-2003 10:56 AM
up on the ridge with my addictions to plants of all kinds and the changing faces of my fairy beds madgardener Gardening 2 30-05-2003 04:09 PM