GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   My Tulips are discolouring my white rose (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/22625-my-tulips-discolouring-my-white-rose.html)

Heather 15-05-2003 03:44 PM

My Tulips are discolouring my white rose

I have a garden with a beautiful white rose that has some tulips (red)
growing around them for colour, and the tulips seem to be bleeding colour
into the rose. When the rose bloomed last year it was somewhat pink. Why
does this happen? Should I move the tulips elsewhere in my garden?

Heather

lms 16-05-2003 02:44 PM

My Tulips are discolouring my white rose

In article ,
says...

I have a garden with a beautiful white rose that has some tulips (red)
growing around them for colour, and the tulips seem to be bleeding colour
into the rose. When the rose bloomed last year it was somewhat pink. Why
does this happen? Should I move the tulips elsewhere in my garden?

Heather

no, it's impossible for tulips or anything else to bleed colors into roses.
if your rose has turned entirely red, it's the rootstock you are seeing,
the hybrid grafted onto it has died. If any of the canes are blooming any
color other than the color of the rose you planted, cut them off as close
to the main cane as possible. If it's blooming entirely red, dig it up and
plant another rose.

over the years I've grown hundreds of tulips--most die and I have to keep
replacing them although a few are pushing 20. I can still discern the 'S'
pattern down the middle of the 10 x 130 ditch garden. of daffs and tulips.

Jerome Morrow 16-05-2003 08:08 PM

My Tulips are discolouring my white rose

Your rose probably have botrytris. Its a disease.

Are there pink spots on your rose flowers?