Old 16-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default need help with planting my first rose bush (Blue Girl)

Theo Asir wrote:

Help! not blue girl again.
People get one bloom from this rose
and they get all weepy. Unless
a rose produces arms full of roses
for me it has no place here.

Hey Theo!

Both of my BGs produced arm fulls of roses this year. *grin* Only
downside was the water marks. I was "bad" as I simply trimmed those few
outer petals when I cut them for inside and voila a beautiful bouquet!

Oh yeah, I'm also in 7b which definitely helps this rose. However, it
is certainly not my most cold sensitive rose. One of my mystery roses,
a dark red bloom, wins that award. It's not starting to bloom after
recovering from the damamge from our last cold snap. None of my other
roses even blinked and eye nor slowed down for a second during that snap
except for that red one.

As to someone new to roses planting this one, I would definitely
recommend trying something a little less delicate than a BG. Either
that or treating it as a learning experience. Mine, to be honest, were
definitely an impulse buy at Lowes based solely on colour. If I had to
do it again, I think I would exercise a little more patience and order
something different instead.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 16-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Theo Asir

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message
Theo Asir wrote:

Help! not blue girl again.
People get one bloom from this rose
and they get all weepy. Unless
a rose produces arms full of roses
for me it has no place here.

Hey Theo!

Both of my BGs produced arm fulls of roses this year. *grin* Only
downside was the water marks. I was "bad" as I simply trimmed those few
outer petals when I cut them for inside and voila a beautiful bouquet!

Ok! Ok! I get zee picture.

Zone 7b is definitely not a
cold winter zone for roses.

Even the Gigantea hybrids
can survive your zone with no problem.

Personally that particular mottled
shade does nothing for me. Too much
like day old placental material. Heh!

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 16-05-2003, 06:44 PM
JimS.

"Theo Asir" wrote in message

Ok! Ok! I get zee picture.

Zone 7b is definitely not a
cold winter zone for roses.

Even the Gigantea hybrids
can survive your zone with no problem.

Personally that particular mottled
shade does nothing for me. Too much
like day old placental material. Heh!

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

WELL-- I personally could have done without THAT visual.... :Þ

JimS.
Seattle