Old 18-05-2003, 08:08 PM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Default Suckers: Why remove them?

I had what I think is a sucker come up last year, it came out from the dirt
near the base of this 9 year old plant. It grew like wildfire, at least 7
feet. My partner said to remove it and that it was a bad thing, but I didnt
listen to him and just cut it down to about 3 feet. This year it has a
branch coming off of it thats like 4 feet long and absolutely filled with a
red flower whereas the rest of the flowers on this plant are pink. The
plant is a J&P Color Magic.

Is the oddball offshoot flowers different because they grafted the color
magic to a different species of rootball?

And what is the downside of suckers and leaving them on the plant?

Old 18-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Snooze

Most roses sold these days have a bud grafted onto root stock. As you have
discovered the root stock is often a different kind of rose. Eventually the
graft will die off, and the root will send up it's own branches. Allowing
suckers to grow speeds up this process.

This is why own root are preferred, but they require more work and time at
the nursery, so they cost more.

Sameer

Old 18-05-2003, 08:32 PM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Thanks, I better get cutting today then.
Should I dig down around the root (this rose has been in the garden for 9
to 10 years now) to get to the beginning of the sucker, and just cut if off
at that point, or must I twist and pull to pull it out where it joins the
root stock?

link.net...
:

Old 18-05-2003, 08:32 PM
GamePlayer No. 1058

This also explains the mystery "wild" rose climber that grew up in my yard 2
years ago. I used to have a yellow climber near where this one came up, and
my tennants at the time said the yellow bush blew down in a violent wind
storm, 2 years later this pathetic looking twig slightly resembling a rose
came out near where the old one used to be. Must be a sucker that grew out
of the ground of the root of the original rose. Now it's bushy as all can
be and 12 to 20 feet long on the longest stem, and covers a trellis around
my patio now. Now I know where it came from.

link.net...

Old 18-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Scopata Fuori

Should I dig down around the root (this rose has been in the garden for 9
to 10 years now) to get to the beginning of the sucker, and just cut if

off
at that point, or must I twist and pull to pull it out where it joins the
root stock?

If it's an attractive, healthy variety, and it seems to be thriving "on its
own," I'd be inclined to carefully sever it at the bud union, then
transplant the miscreant and enjoy it on its own merits, if any.

But then again, I have a soft spot for those who survive and "blossom" when
they aren't supposed to.

Scopata Fuori

Old 19-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Cass

In article f34e661bb3ae40bd1faf743217291bd8@TeraNews, GamePlayer No.
1058 wrote:

Thanks, I better get cutting today then.
Should I dig down around the root (this rose has been in the garden for 9
to 10 years now) to get to the beginning of the sucker, and just cut if off
at that point, or must I twist and pull to pull it out where it joins the
root stock?

Tearing off the sucker is more likely (but not 100% certain) to damage
the bud which is producing the sucker. Therefore tear, don't cut,
suckers.
Old 20-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Gail Futoran

This also explains the mystery "wild" rose climber that

grew up in my yard 2
years ago. I used to have a yellow climber near where

this one came up, and
my tennants at the time said the yellow bush blew down in

a violent wind
storm, 2 years later this pathetic looking twig slightly

resembling a rose
came out near where the old one used to be. Must be a

sucker that grew out
of the ground of the root of the original rose. Now it's

bushy as all can
be and 12 to 20 feet long on the longest stem, and covers

a trellis around
my patio now. Now I know where it came from.

I've let a couple of rootstocks grow before I
knew enough to keep them from taking over
the grafted rose. Several never produced
flowers. One (since ID'd as Dr. Huey) did,
and I transplanted it near a shed. Had my hubby
build a planting box and trellis for it to replace
the plastic container I had tossed it into.
Now, several years later, it produces a lovely
spring bloom that lasts for several months and
really spruces up the shed.

But it depends on whether you have the space
and like the bloom/blooming period. If not,
take it out and plant something you do like.

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8