Old 19-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Me

Default systemic for earwigs and rust

I'm looking for a systemic that will treat both earwigs and rust. I've found
products, but not in the same bottle. I'd like to minimize the amount of
chemicals I put in the soil.

Thanks

Old 19-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Radika Kesavan

Me wrote:
I'm looking for a systemic that will treat both earwigs and rust. I've found
products, but not in the same bottle. I'd like to minimize the amount of
chemicals I put in the soil.

In El Nino years in California, rust goes away once the untimely rains
stop. All you would need to do, after the bothersome untimely rains stop
and the weather actually warms up, is to strip the infected leaves and
dispose off them in garbage (not in the compost). We have such a long
growing season here (and for you even more so than it is for me in
Northern CA) that this approach actually works.

As for earwigs, I try three approaches all of which work nicely: (a) put
out shallow bowls (cut out from bottoms of yoghourt containers work well
for this) cheapest possible beer. The evil-looking insects love beer,
get drunk and drown themselves by the droves; every couple or so days,
clean out the bowls and fill with fresh cheap beer; (b) crumple
newspaper pages or brown paper from bags you wish to recycle and throw
them around in the area where there is an earwig infestation; for
reasons that are not clear to me, earwigs love to go hide in the
crevices of crumpled newspaper (which works better than brown paper as
an attractant); every coupel of days, collect the Earwig Motels and
discard them in plastic bags closed appropriately (so that the earwigs
cannot simply run away) in the garbage; (s) provide a lot of other
organic material in your soil such as compost, etc. so that the earwigs
aren't tempted to chew on your roses and other ornamentals because there
is nothing else to eat.

I have not seen any damage from earwigs to my roses though they tend to
eat leafy green vegetables, particularly chard. However, I find them
very repulsive to look at and so, do not want to see them sleeping
inside the rose blossoms that I bring in for the vases ....

--
Radika
California

Old 19-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Daniel Hanna

In .net Me wrote:
I'm looking for a systemic that will treat both earwigs and rust. I've
found products, but not in the same bottle. I'd like to minimize the
amount of chemicals I put in the soil.

I think Shiva uses Orthenex, which contains a systemic insecticide and
systemic fungicide. Correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm right, that should
do the trick in one bottle.
Old 19-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Shiva

On 19 May 2003 11:03:00 GMT, Daniel Hanna
wrote:

In .net Me wrote:
I'm looking for a systemic that will treat both earwigs and rust. I've
found products, but not in the same bottle. I'd like to minimize the
amount of chemicals I put in the soil.

I think Shiva uses Orthenex, which contains a systemic insecticide and
systemic fungicide. Correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm right, that should
do the trick in one bottle.

Yep. I see an occasional earwig, but have never noticed any damage to
my roses at all.

earwigs and corn Todd Gardening 7 03-09-2011 06:21 AM
Earwigs on my vegetables and flowers LSD Gardening 5 21-07-2007 11:56 AM
Woodlice and now also earwigs More to Wiggle United Kingdom 11 02-07-2003 06:09 PM
"systemic" treatment for blackspot JAC Roses 1 14-04-2003 09:56 PM
Red spider systemic insecticide Carol Russell United Kingdom 10 26-12-2002 04:47 PM