GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pics (including Double Delight) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/27602-pics-including-double-delight.html)

Susan H. Simko 19-05-2003 09:32 PM

Pics (including Double Delight)

http://152.3.63.1/reality/garden/rose_index.htm

This site is far from done so I wouldn't bother wandering beyond Roses
as nothing else is really done.

I'm also going to be replacing digital pictures with scanned images from
35mm cameras as I get them back from the lab.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Shiva 19-05-2003 11:32 PM

Pics (including Double Delight)

On Mon, 19 May 2003 16:20:32 -0400, "Susan H. Simko"
wrote:

http://152.3.63.1/reality/garden/rose_index.htm

This site is far from done so I wouldn't bother wandering beyond Roses
as nothing else is really done.

Wow, Susan, you got a really good Granada!

Tell me, what is that groundcover growing all around your Double
Delight? And is it growing up close to the base of DD, as far as under
the drip line?

I am curious about companion plantings.

Susan H. Simko 20-05-2003 02:44 PM

Shiva wrote:

Wow, Susan, you got a really good Granada!

She is certainly gorgeous and right next to the patio so I can see her
whenever I want.

Tell me, what is that groundcover growing all around your Double
Delight? And is it growing up close to the base of DD, as far as under
the drip line?

It's phlox. The phlox was there before DD and I had to clean some of it
out in order to get DD in the ground. It is right up under DD now well
within the dirp line. She seems to be fine with that.

I am curious about companion plantings.

Both of my Blue Girls have alyssum planted directly under them. In
front (at the edge of the drip line) is dianthus and rocket snap
dragons. My mystery roses have bearded irises in front, grape hyacinth
underneath and somehting else that was planted by the previous owners
that I haven't bothered to identify yet.

I tend to lean towards the cottage garden style with full beds. Partly
because it cuts down on weeds but also because I simply like the look.
My s.o.'s mother is always commenting to me that I need to thin the beds
because she obviously doesn't like the look. I find that interesting
since she is Irish, born in Ireland. *sgrin* My standard reply is that
I thin when the plants tell me they need to be thinned.

I can't wait to get the four rolls of film from my 35mm cameras back!
My digital camera is old and does not meter well for close up shots of
white flowers. Since it's an auto metering camera, there's nothing I
can do about it. I guess that's why I still prefer my 35mms especially
since I'm still not willing to pay the price for a digital body to go
with my lens collection for my 35mms.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Shiva 21-05-2003 12:20 AM

Pics (including Double Delight)

On Tue, 20 May 2003 09:32:01 -0400, "Susan H. Simko"
wrote:

It's phlox. The phlox was there before DD and I had to clean some of it
out in order to get DD in the ground. It is right up under DD now well
within the dirp line. She seems to be fine with that.

This is really interesting. As you probably know, "conventional
wisdom" (whatever that is) has it that roses hate to share space with
any plants, or at least hate to compete for nutrients. If phlox are
okay growing right on top of the little white feeder roots of the rose
(and they are growing on them if they go under the drip line) then my
roses are in no danger if I don't weed for a while, I guess.

I am curious about companion plantings.

Both of my Blue Girls have alyssum planted directly under them.

I love what I have seen called "sweet alyssum." I would love to grow
it under my roses!

In
front (at the edge of the drip line) is dianthus and rocket snap
dragons. My mystery roses have bearded irises in front, grape hyacinth
underneath and somehting else that was planted by the previous owners
that I haven't bothered to identify yet.

We have similar tastes in non-rose plants. I love grape hyacinths,
too.

I tend to lean towards the cottage garden style with full beds. Partly
because it cuts down on weeds but also because I simply like the look.
My s.o.'s mother is always commenting to me that I need to thin the beds
because she obviously doesn't like the look. I find that interesting
since she is Irish, born in Ireland. *sgrin* My standard reply is that
I thin when the plants tell me they need to be thinned.

I find it interesting that she wants to tell you what to do with your
garden! I like the look.

dave weil 21-05-2003 12:44 AM

wrote:

http://152.3.63.1/reality/garden/rose_index.htm

This site is far from done so I wouldn't bother wandering beyond Roses
as nothing else is really done.

I'm also going to be replacing digital pictures with scanned images from
35mm cameras as I get them back from the lab.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

http://152.3.63.1/reality/garden/rose_mys02.htm

The photo on the right really reminds me of Ingrid Bergman, when the
bloom is fully formed.

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=3389

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Ingrid1.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/IngridBergman.jpg

Note that the color on the last link isn't true at all. There is not a
hint of magneta or purple in the bloom.

I'm not saying that your rose *is* Ingrid Bergman, mind you...

Susan H. Simko 21-05-2003 06:20 PM

dave weil wrote:

http://152.3.63.1/reality/garden/rose_mys02.htm

The photo on the right really reminds me of Ingrid Bergman, when the
bloom is fully formed.

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=3389

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Ingrid1.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/IngridBergman.jpg

Reading the description did catch my attention as my mystery rose has an
intense fragrance. However, the one thing that I saw about Ingrid
Bergman is that she is disease resistant. This is the worst of my roses
in disease resistance and cold hardiness.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Susan H. Simko 21-05-2003 06:20 PM

Shiva wrote:

This is really interesting. As you probably know, "conventional
wisdom" (whatever that is) has it that roses hate to share space with
any plants, or at least hate to compete for nutrients. If phlox are
okay growing right on top of the little white feeder roots of the rose
(and they are growing on them if they go under the drip line) then my
roses are in no danger if I don't weed for a while, I guess.

My roses have a choice - weeds or companion plants. Well, maybe not. I
certainly prefer the look of the companion plants to weeds. *grin*

I love what I have seen called "sweet alyssum." I would love to grow
it under my roses!

I started white sweet alyssum in most of my beds. All of the plants
were started from seed and have self-seeded since then. Personally, I
find the cost of sweet alyssum bedding plants to be ridiculous
considering how easy it was to get it established form seed. Besides
that, the cost of filling the bed with bedding plants would have been
ridiculous.

The only two beds who do not have alyssum in them are the lily bed and
the vegetable bed. The lily bed will soon have some in it also as I can
still see large (to my eye) patches of dirt between the plants. *grin*
I'm just waiting for my orienpet order ot come in before I seed the
alyssum.

We have similar tastes in non-rose plants. I love grape hyacinths,
too.

Aren't they fabulous?!

I find it interesting that she wants to tell you what to do with your
garden! I like the look.

She is very opinionated but in a non-pushy way so I simply ignore it if
it doesn't agree with me. No hard feelings either. The s.o. is of the
opinion that it's our yard so we(I) can do with it as we(I) want so I
have total support from that side of things.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

dave weil 21-05-2003 06:32 PM

Pics (including Double Delight)

On Wed, 21 May 2003 13:11:08 -0400, "Susan H. Simko"
wrote:

dave weil wrote:

http://152.3.63.1/reality/garden/rose_mys02.htm

The photo on the right really reminds me of Ingrid Bergman, when the
bloom is fully formed.

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=3389

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Ingrid1.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/IngridBergman.jpg

Reading the description did catch my attention as my mystery rose has an
intense fragrance. However, the one thing that I saw about Ingrid
Bergman is that she is disease resistant. This is the worst of my roses
in disease resistance and cold hardiness.

I can say that my Ingrid Bergman has never been immune to blackspot.
I'd rate it as moderately susceptable. It's not the worst but it's not
nearly the best either.

Mine didn't do really well after the first year because it was planted
below Old Blush, which rapidly formed a canopy over it. It looked
great at first but then last year, the year that it should have taken
off, it floundered under the canopy. I moved it this spring and it's
been slow to recover, although it hasn't done poorly by any means.
Last year, it got pretty spindly after a year of partial shade and
blackspot. I'm hoping to see some new basal growth as it warms up. I
really had to take some nice canes last year at the end of the season
and they haven't been replaced yet.

Oh yeah, does your plant show much smaller blooms in the hot July sun?
This is another indicator of Ingrid Bergman.

saki 21-05-2003 06:44 PM

Pics (including Double Delight)

(Shiva) wrote in news:6624b4f8385173e24bf154f8feef0415
@TeraNews:

This is really interesting. As you probably know, "conventional
wisdom" (whatever that is) has it that roses hate to share space with
any plants, or at least hate to compete for nutrients. If phlox are
okay growing right on top of the little white feeder roots of the rose
(and they are growing on them if they go under the drip line) then my
roses are in no danger if I don't weed for a while, I guess.

It's whatever you can live with, I think.

I'm not sure whether "conventional wisdom" is a holdover from American
rose-bed designs of the forties and fifties; maybe just a neatness thing.

But roses are often planted with companion plants in cottage-garden
landscape schemes with little ill effect, so far as I can see in my garden
(which uses this scheme).

I have lavender, pelargonium and species geranium piled around the base of
bourbons and shrub roses. My pair of Zepherines have nasturtiums and
campanula at their feet. A couple HTs, Vanilla Perfume and Steppin' Out,
have naturtiums and ornamental pink-flowering strawberries.

Interestingly the only place I have weed problems is with container roses,
where there's no competition except for the rose and where the oxalis dig
in their little claws. There's too much growth with the companion plants to
allow weeds in the main beds, which is a pleasant side-effect.

----