Old 21-05-2003, 07:44 AM
AMY CHAN

Default Leaves falling off mini

My Sunny Kordana mini rose was purchased a week ago. I have placed it in a
bright window that has full sun for part of the day (have yet to time the
sun exposure)

Stalks of leaves are falling off, the edges of the yellow blooms are dry,
even the buds.

I do not detect pests, the soil is moist.

What can I do to aid my mini rose?

Amy

http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

Old 21-05-2003, 01:32 PM
dave weil

On Wed, 21 May 2003 02:37:20 -0400, "AMY CHAN"

My Sunny Kordana mini rose was purchased a week ago. I have placed it in a
bright window that has full sun for part of the day (have yet to time the
sun exposure)

Stalks of leaves are falling off, the edges of the yellow blooms are dry,
even the buds.

I do not detect pests, the soil is moist.

What can I do to aid my mini rose?

Amy

You basically need to get it outside and into the ground. Roses are
outdoor-loving plants.

There are people who grow roses successfully in pots outside, but if
you've never grown roses before, you'll probably have better luck just
sticking it in the ground. Make sure it gets lots of sun and water.

If you leave it inside, even in a sunny window, it will surely die,
and, as you've already noticed, pretty quickly at that. If you act
now, you can save it. At the very least, get it outside, even if you
can't get it in the ground. Remember that outside, if you leave it in
the pot, you'll probably have to water it almost every day.
Old 21-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Shiva

On Wed, 21 May 2003 07:23:35 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

On Wed, 21 May 2003 02:37:20 -0400, "AMY CHAN"

My Sunny Kordana mini rose was purchased a week ago. I have placed it in a
bright window that has full sun for part of the day (have yet to time the
sun exposure)

Stalks of leaves are falling off, the edges of the yellow blooms are dry,
even the buds.

I do not detect pests, the soil is moist.

What can I do to aid my mini rose?

Amy

You basically need to get it outside and into the ground. Roses are
outdoor-loving plants.

[...]

If you leave it inside, even in a sunny window, it will surely die,
and, as you've already noticed, pretty quickly at that.

Amy--just want to say, Dave is right. What you describe happened to
every potted mini I kept indoors beyond the first dead leaf. As soon
as I got them outside and in the ground, they perked right up.
Old 21-05-2003, 05:44 PM
lms

In article , says...

My Sunny Kordana mini rose was purchased a week ago. I have placed it in a
bright window that has full sun for part of the day (have yet to time the
sun exposure)

Stalks of leaves are falling off, the edges of the yellow blooms are dry,
even the buds.

I do not detect pests, the soil is moist.

What can I do to aid my mini rose?

Amy

Plant it outside in the ground. Roses are not indoor plants at all, unless you
count a misted greenhouse as inside. Roses detest the dry still air, spider
mites appear out of nowhere, and everything you have described fits the pattern
to the T, your experiences have been posted here hundreds of times.

Put it in a decent sized pot outside, if you must grow it in a pot, but unless
you do this, your rose is toast.
And just follow any normal precautions of the pot drying out, etc., etc.
But putting it in the soil is far preferable to the rose. Always. A lot of
exhibitors grow roses in pots before they find out if they're good enough to
put in the ground, this goes for big roses too.

I grow one called Chica Kordana, and I swear, infact, that it's the bustingest,
healthiest miniature I've ever grown. Blooms by the bazillions. Bought it
on some counter at a hardware store. These are commonly called thwoaway woses,
but since miniatures are most often bred from crossing a Mini with a
Hybrid Tea or a Floribunda (two larger roses) there is no reason they shouldn't
exhibit every hardiness characteristic of their parent(s).

Old 22-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Tim Tompkins

As a rule minis are grown on their own roots and thus are hardier than a
grafted variety.

In the ground they tend to be susceptible to spider mites due the their lack
of height. Just keep an eye on them and I you can, remove the lower leaves
to reduce the
risk.

Tim

"lms" wrote in message
In article ,

says...

Old 22-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Scopata Fuori

Stalks of leaves are falling off, the edges of the yellow blooms are dry,
even the buds.

The plant has most likely lived its short life in a greenhouse, in a
carefully controlled environment of optimal humidity, water, and light.
Taking it out of the greenhouse, into the store was a shock to it, then into
the very different, and harsher, environment inside the house, has caused it
quite a bit of trauma.

I would more gradually acclimatize it to the outdoors, though. Make sure its
in a south facing window, keep the window open as much as possible, and take
it outdoors during the day for a few hours, sheltering it from any strong
winds. After a couple weeks, let it stay out overnight, and see how it does.

Then plant it, using the proscribed dilution of vitamin B-1 plant starter.

Be sure to include it in your spray program! I don't spray the leaves as
long as with the others, but I still make sure they are covered top and
bottom.

Scopata Fuori

Old 23-05-2003, 05:32 AM
lms

In article ,
says...

Stalks of leaves are falling off, the edges of the yellow blooms are dry,
even the buds.

The plant has most likely lived its short life in a greenhouse, in a
carefully controlled environment of optimal humidity, water, and light.
Taking it out of the greenhouse, into the store was a shock to it, then into
the very different, and harsher, environment inside the house, has caused it
quite a bit of trauma.

I would more gradually acclimatize it to the outdoors, though. Make sure its
in a south facing window, keep the window open as much as possible, and take
it outdoors during the day for a few hours, sheltering it from any strong
winds. After a couple weeks, let it stay out overnight, and see how it does.

put the plant outside immediately and leave it there, forget about growing
miniature roses inside longer than is required to admire them for awhile.
I've never had to acclimatize a rose to the great outdoors, and the only
and then after about a week 'help me god'. but that's beside the point.

Then plant it, using the proscribed dilution of vitamin B-1 plant starter.

Be sure to include it in your spray program!

spraying your roses stinks up the garden to high heaven and poisons everything
that moves, including you. It's a bourgeois practice perpetuated by the
over-the-hill generation of people who grew up not knowing any better and by
selfish people who just don't give a damn about the planet.
When I'm King, we'll be checking the receipts and purchase records of all
gardening stores, looking for perps. We're talking major time here.

I don't spray the leaves as
long as with the others, but I still make sure they are covered top and
bottom.

the scorched-earth approach. til they drip. makes me wanna hurl just thinkin
about it.

Old 23-05-2003, 03:21 PM
Cass

In article , lms
wrote:

When I'm King, we'll be checking the receipts and purchase records of all
gardening stores, looking for perps. We're talking major time here.

Isn't Texas bigger than Iran? You gonn be real busy, son....... the
looting of the Home Depot and Walmart accounting offices.....Ortho HQ
Old 24-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Scopata Fuori

When I'm King, we'll be checking the receipts and purchase records of

all
gardening stores, looking for perps. We're talking major time here.

Isn't Texas bigger than Iran? You gonn be real busy, son....... the
looting of the Home Depot and Walmart accounting offices.....Ortho HQ

And I'll have my stockpile of WMD's. Starting with Bt, fish emulsion, bone
meal, Milky Spore, and kelp extract. Stinks, yes it does.

Scopata Fuori

Old 28-03-2006, 03:13 AM
Registered User

Location: Pennsylvania, USA

[quote=Scopata Fuori]

Stalks of leaves are falling off, the edges of the yellow blooms are dry,
even the buds.

This is exactly what my rose is doing.

However, in PA. USA, it is quite cold right now. What can I do till it warms enough to place outside? Even a gradual acclimation is rough considering the below freezing nites.

How about a plastic tent to keep moisture in??

thanks,

Mark