Old 30-05-2003, 07:57 PM
JimS.

Default Question about pruning roses

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message
saki wrote:

By the way, I've discovered that the best way to get a reluctant bloomer

go forward is to reveal the problem in r.g.r.

Not two days after I asked for some advice on Rockin' Robin it popped

out
with new growth along its pegged canes and now sports numerous flower

buds.

Hey, I think you have something there! I mentioned my thoughts on
s.p.'ing Pristine after three weeks in the ground and not having broke
dormancy and next thing I know she's breaking dormancy! *grin* Maybe
they know we're serious when we start talking about them instead of
simply to them?

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Well, all I have to do to get a slowpoke to get moving, is to buy a new
potted rose, and place it next to the slowpoke. ( a bit of chastising
thrown in for fun, too....). Nothing like a shortage of real-estate to make
a laggard appreciate his/her acreage!

JimS.
Seattle

Old 30-05-2003, 08:33 PM
Scopata Fuori

Long Tall Sally could be the third. Virused POS I think. Why get an
imitation Sally Holmes? What was I thinking?

Sally Holmes is a climber, I believe. Long Tall Sally is a fat, vigorous,
attractive bush, albeit with "nontypical" blooms. I had several, although I
am not fond of white roses (except the vanilla scented Full Sail!), but a
black cane dieback tore through one grouping of container roses, taking out
all but one in a matter of a few days.

Scopata Fuori

Old 30-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Cass

In article , Scopata Fuori
wrote:

Long Tall Sally could be the third. Virused POS I think. Why get an
imitation Sally Holmes? What was I thinking?

Sally Holmes is a climber, I believe. Long Tall Sally is a fat, vigorous,
attractive bush, albeit with "nontypical" blooms. I had several, although I
am not fond of white roses (except the vanilla scented Full Sail!), but a
black cane dieback tore through one grouping of container roses, taking out
all but one in a matter of a few days.

Sally Holmes grows anyway you prune it. It grows into a 15 ft. climber
with training. Down the street they cut it back to 3 feet every winter
and keep it at 4 ft. all season with bi-monthly whacking. Mine are 6
ft tall and 9 ft wide.

http://www.rosefog.us/gardenshots/im...allyHolmes.jpg

If LTS can match that, then she gets a reprieve.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:32 AM
lms

In article , says...

In article ,
says...

In article ,

says...

This reminds me that I have a problem bloomer in my garden this
year, the Weeks shrub rose called Rockin' Robin.

another Tom Carruth striper in the wake of Scentimental, I grow this
rose, have had basically similar results....

By the way, I've discovered that the best way to get a reluctant bloomer to
go forward is to reveal the problem in r.g.r.

Not two days after I asked for some advice on Rockin' Robin it popped out
with new growth along its pegged canes and now sports numerous flower buds.

Perhaps it hates bad publicity.

here's a snap of the one here,
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Rockrob1a.jpg

it may look like this is an abused rose but it never showed any kind of
willingness to turn into a bushy thing even before Frau Dagmar decided it
was a good spot to pop up. The center of Frau Dagmar is off the side of the
pic to the left and shows no such reluctance. I enjoy them together actually.
I guess you can also see one of the main flavors of the tall grass that most
everything around here has to deal wit. You might imagine if you were a mini.

----

Old 01-06-2003, 06:56 AM
lms

In article ,
says...

In article , lms
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I got the Moore striper Shadow Dancer last fall. Little OR squirt,
won't stop blooming long enough to grow. Starts crimson/pink, fades to
pink/white.

That one was on my last Moore order form that I didn't send in. I have one
of those from Nor'East right now. Postage figured, everything. Strict

limit
of 5, it was tough but I'm satisfied I picked the very best roses.
To not grow. hahaha.
no, really, I'm going to send it n.

It's a good idea to let them age a bit. I buy some stuff that really
shouldn't get out of the garage but it was the only thing blooming. I
was systematic for a while with a list.

For the first couple years I considered mysefl a discerning rose grower I
wouldn't buy any rose rated lower than 8, period. Then I saw a Talisman
growing across from my mom's house in Alamogordo, and that pretty much took
care of that hangup. Mamie also grew The Countess, as she called it--Comtesse
Vandal, I believe-- and it was in the same genre, they looked similar. So I
could only find Climbing Talisman, which Roses of Yesterday and Today said
was a climbing sport which was actually better than the original, which the
'ratings' agree with. To this moment it's still one of my faves, such a
fantastic rose. Climbing Red Talisman, another sport, and which is not
Olympiad Red, is still a fantastic rose if you ever get a chance. Alluring is
the word and highly fragrant. Winter croaked it the third year, after it had
become wonderful.

Then I got a lotta stuff on the
list or saw it and took it off. I need to get some discipline. Cold
day. I did actually nuke a couple before they got out of their pots.
Long Tall Sally could be the third. Virused POS I think. Why get an
imitation Sally Holmes? What was I thinking?

Haven't ever seen a rebloomer white that can beat it, outside of Trier. Well,
besides Iceberg and I don't really think the two should be compared. I've
regularly changed fave white roses, this year it's Alba Semi-plena.
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/raspspa03.jpg

Fourth year I think, but in any case it's over the top from here. And besides
it's a pretty honest view of the hapnin thing, in general. at this time
basically.

-=-
Cass
USDA Zone 9 Left Coast
www.rosefog.us

Old 01-06-2003, 08:20 AM
lms

In article ,
says...

Long Tall Sally could be the third. Virused POS I think. Why get an
imitation Sally Holmes? What was I thinking?

Sally Holmes is a climber, I believe. Long Tall Sally is a fat, vigorous,
attractive bush, albeit with "nontypical" blooms. I had several, although I
am not fond of white roses (except the vanilla scented Full Sail!), but a
black cane dieback tore through one grouping of container roses, taking out
all but one in a matter of a few days.

ahh, it's all rich.
Your black cane dieback and your nontypical are both entertaining if not
exactly clear. I've never heard of a black cane dieback. Which of your
weapons do you reckon caused this sudden sweeping black cane dieback?
hahahaha

Sally Holmes is a rose which defies classification, I've seen it called a
floribunda and a shrub, and it's infact half hybrid musk.
Sally's never shown any propensity to sky, has just shown major abilities to
do the big spread here. The term 'climber' doesn't really specify which
direction so I guess you could call it a climber if you were real hard up.
Sally Holmes was named for Robert Holmes' lady. I wonder what he would think
of a Long Tall Sally? I'm thinking he'd have to like it.
I guess LTS goes under the category Names That Want To Convey Something Without
Having To Start From Scratch. Like Mildewfree Else Poulsen kinda.

Full Sail--being a sport of New Zealand, I am now of the opinion that
New Zealand grows well in New Zealand but I know it doesn't grow well in New
Mexico, and I've heard this widely about other places. If you look at
helpmefind.com, for instance, it says in Big Bold Black letters, needs winter
protection where temps drop below freezing. That includes mosta North America.
I grew 2 New Zealands before I gave up 2nd year into the 2nd. I could tell the
second was going to be just like the first. Sadly.

Old 01-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Cass

In article , lms
wrote:

In article ,
says...

In article , lms
wrote:

In article ,
says...

It's a good idea to let them age a bit. I buy some stuff that really
shouldn't get out of the garage but it was the only thing blooming. I
was systematic for a while with a list.

For the first couple years I considered mysefl a discerning rose
grower I wouldn't buy any rose rated lower than 8, period.

Yeah, well, it's a perfectly legitimate way to start. I don't think you
can go wrong (except as to hardiness) with those roses. Except that
those ramblers only get rated by the six or seven ARS members that
care, and they always rate the ramblers they grow at 9.1.

Then I
saw a Talisman growing across from my mom's house in Alamogordo, and
that pretty much took care of that hangup. Mamie also grew The
Countess, as she called it--Comtesse Vandal, I believe-- and it was
in the same genre, they looked similar. So I could only find
Climbing Talisman, which Roses of Yesterday and Today said was a
climbing sport which was actually better than the original, which the
'ratings' agree with. To this moment it's still one of my faves,
such a fantastic rose. Climbing Red Talisman, another sport, and
which is not Olympiad Red, is still a fantastic rose if you ever get
a chance. Alluring is the word and highly fragrant. Winter croaked
it the third year, after it had become wonderful.

I see Talisman in every variety up at Vintage and I'm always wowed.
Then I worry that it could get scary looking (readrange or coral like
America. SOB doesn't fade here. I don't even want it in the
neighborhood.), but it never does. The veining in those petals is
awesome, on a par with the scent. I think I need it. But I don't really
want to futz with a Cl.HT, so I've been holding out for the bush form.
Guess I just pack it in and get the climber.

Then I got a lotta stuff on the
list or saw it and took it off. I need to get some discipline. Cold
day. I did actually nuke a couple before they got out of their pots.
Long Tall Sally could be the third. Virused POS I think. Why get an
imitation Sally Holmes? What was I thinking?

Haven't ever seen a rebloomer white that can beat it, outside of Trier. Well,
besides Iceberg and I don't really think the two should be compared. I've
regularly changed fave white roses, this year it's Alba Semi-plena.
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/raspspa03.jpg

Did you ever get Cl. Snowbird? That's also a beaut, thrip bait here.

Fourth year I think, but in any case it's over the top from here. And besides
it's a pretty honest view of the hapnin thing, in general. at this time
basically.

Oh, man that is a beautiful rose. Smells good, perfect white with some
vague light pink in there, or that's what it looked like in San Hoser.
I committed to getting an alba, once, yes, back in September 2000.
Bought it and by the time I got home thought I'd bought Marchesa
Boccella instead. I knew soon enough it was not MB (didn't repeat) and
it took me til this year to figure out it was Koenigen van Danemark.
Had to take a stem up to Phillip Robinson's garden, walk it around,
choose the wrong ID first (Petite Lisette) and then ask the master what
it was. Now I can put that baby in the ground.

You know, you really need to grow some ramblers in there. This pup is
12 feet tall on a post (I found the previous post it killed) and then
weeps to the ground. If you use your imagination, you can see the canes
all perfectly parallel and trained up and around the posts. I bought
one to shamelessly copy. Got to use pressure treated, 6 in. lumber, 3,
4 bags of Redimix. A couple day's work when the fog returns. R.
Sempervirens hybrid, I think. Only 5 leave leaflests, dark green. Not
to mention mauve. Looks as good as any tree, only it's 15 times the
work.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...ages/Flora.jpg
Old 01-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Cass

In article , lms
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Long Tall Sally could be the third. Virused POS I think. Why get an
imitation Sally Holmes? What was I thinking?

Sally Holmes is a climber, I believe. Long Tall Sally is a fat, vigorous,
attractive bush, albeit with "nontypical" blooms. I had several, although I
am not fond of white roses (except the vanilla scented Full Sail!), but a
black cane dieback tore through one grouping of container roses, taking out
all but one in a matter of a few days.

ahh, it's all rich.
Your black cane dieback and your nontypical are both entertaining if not
exactly clear. I've never heard of a black cane dieback. Which of your
weapons do you reckon caused this sudden sweeping black cane dieback?
hahahaha

Cheeses, you really want to temp the Fates that way? You don't know
that every time you say, "I don't get '.........' here," it's the very
next scourge to hit the garden??!?!? Everyone knows black cane dieback
is short for "I can't tell whether it's canker or botrytis but it's
heading down the canes to the bud union/crown and soon the whole rose
is gonna croak."

Old 03-06-2003, 07:44 AM
lms

In article ,
says...

I see Talisman in every variety up at Vintage and I'm always wowed.
Then I worry that it could get scary looking (readrange or coral like
America. SOB doesn't fade here. I don't even want it in the
neighborhood.), but it never does. The veining in those petals is
awesome, on a par with the scent. I think I need it. But I don't really
want to futz with a Cl.HT, so I've been holding out for the bush form.
Guess I just pack it in and get the climber.

Well I don't know. I don't feel closer to any rose, I've tried to think
of a way to put it. Fave this fave that doesn't really cut it. When I put it
in the ground the ARS rating on it was 6.5 and the bush variety was 4.9.
But like I said I quit paying any attention whatsoever to ARS ratings about
this time. You very quickly run out of roses which even have a number. The
first year or two I even had a little chart. Very boring.

Then I got a lotta stuff on the
list or saw it and took it off. I need to get some discipline. Cold
day. I did actually nuke a couple before they got out of their pots.
Long Tall Sally could be the third. Virused POS I think. Why get an
imitation Sally Holmes? What was I thinking?

Haven't ever seen a rebloomer white that can beat it, outside of Trier.

Well,
besides Iceberg and I don't really think the two should be compared. I've
regularly changed fave white roses, this year it's Alba Semi-plena.
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/raspspa03.jpg

Did you ever get Cl. Snowbird? That's also a beaut, thrip bait here.

No Snowbird, once grew Snow Owl, which was a flash in the pan Rugosa, I think I
remember it disappearing from the particular catalog the year after I got it,
could have even been Pickering. It was puny for a couple years. Has a great
name. Another of my fave names for some raisin is Parkay. I admire someone
who would name a rose Parkay. It was a hackroot which didn't last either, some
white climber isn't growing there now. I judge any rose in this vicinity by
all the roses around it. They all know how lucky they are, don't know anything
about trees.

Fourth year I think, but in any case it's over the top from here. And

besides
it's a pretty honest view of the hapnin thing, in general. at this time
basically.

Oh, man that is a beautiful rose. Smells good, perfect white with some
vague light pink in there, or that's what it looked like in San Hoser.
I committed to getting an alba, once, yes, back in September 2000.
Bought it and by the time I got home thought I'd bought Marchesa
Boccella instead. I knew soon enough it was not MB (didn't repeat) and
it took me til this year to figure out it was Koenigen van Danemark.
Had to take a stem up to Phillip Robinson's garden, walk it around,
choose the wrong ID first (Petite Lisette) and then ask the master what
it was. Now I can put that baby in the ground.

The Queen of Denmark, I've seen impressive pics of this rose, never made
a connection though. I grow another alba, Felicite Parmentier but I don't
see much of it, have to check on it now and again, it grows next to Trier.
Considered moving it but you don't hang around for 200 years or whatever
if you're some kinda wimp rose that can't take a little competition.

You know, you really need to grow some ramblers in there. This pup is
12 feet tall on a post (I found the previous post it killed) and then
weeps to the ground. If you use your imagination, you can see the canes
all perfectly parallel and trained up and around the posts. I bought
one to shamelessly copy. Got to use pressure treated, 6 in. lumber, 3,
4 bags of Redimix. A couple day's work when the fog returns. R.
Sempervirens hybrid, I think. Only 5 leave leaflests, dark green. Not
to mention mauve. Looks as good as any tree, only it's 15 times the
work.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...ages/Flora.jpg

404d me. heheh. Besides a couple Hueys I do grow another rambler, which
was a mistake for Charles Denoyel. Worked out cause I can't think of any
other rose that does exactly what this one does where it does it. It's
supposed to cover its modest area of the south facing next to the house
and climb up the 2nd story roof. To some large degree this has happened
but it still don't look like no storybook.
Well, yeah it does.

Old 03-06-2003, 07:44 AM
lms

In article ,
says...

In article , lms
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Oh I pknow. It's always a toss-up between the more I know the more I don't
want to know and the more I don't want to know the more I know. Maybe there
was just too much wild-guy in those little spray-drenched pot-dwellers. maybe
anything, huh? I don't really see a lot of black cane dieback but I see my
share of desert dirt brown cane dieback. Reverse osrosis.

Old 04-06-2003, 05:56 AM
Cass

In article , lms
wrote:

In article ,
says...

The Queen of Denmark, I've seen impressive pics of this rose, never made
a connection though. I grow another alba, Felicite Parmentier but I don't
see much of it, have to check on it now and again,

Here's one they can see from outer space.
http://www.rosefog.us/Roseoftheday/K...anDanemark.jpg

it grows next to Trier.
Considered moving it but you don't hang around for 200 years or whatever
if you're some kinda wimp rose that can't take a little competition.

Trier sounds like my kinda rose. I read somewhere that a lot of the
Trier sold in USA are Moonlight. What do I know. I grow Moonlight, and
it taint nearly as big as you Trier. Wide and layered, not big and
tall.

You know, you really need to grow some ramblers in there. This pup is
12 feet tall on a post (I found the previous post it killed) and then
weeps to the ground. If you use your imagination, you can see the canes
all perfectly parallel and trained up and around the posts. I bought
one to shamelessly copy. Got to use pressure treated, 6 in. lumber, 3,
4 bags of Redimix. A couple day's work when the fog returns. R.
Sempervirens hybrid, I think. Only 5 leave leaflests, dark green. Not
to mention mauve. Looks as good as any tree, only it's 15 times the
work.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...ages/Flora.jpg

404d me. heheh.

How can that be?

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...ages/Flora.jpg

You Winduhs folks can't just comand- click that puppy? I dunno. It's
there. On the server. Check the directory. You won't be sorry.

Besides a couple Hueys

Sumbich pops up everywhere I transplant a budded rose or move a potted
rose that grew out of the drain holes. Root divisions. At last, a use
for Roundup.
Old 04-06-2003, 02:32 PM
lms

In article ,
says...

In article , lms
wrote:

In article ,
says...

The Queen of Denmark, I've seen impressive pics of this rose, never made
a connection though. I grow another alba, Felicite Parmentier but I don't
see much of it, have to check on it now and again,

Here's one they can see from outer space.
http://www.rosefog.us/Roseoftheday/K...anDanemark.jpg

it grows next to Trier.
Considered moving it but you don't hang around for 200 years or whatever
if you're some kinda wimp rose that can't take a little competition.

Trier sounds like my kinda rose. I read somewhere that a lot of the
Trier sold in USA are Moonlight. What do I know. I grow Moonlight, and
it taint nearly as big as you Trier. Wide and layered, not big and
tall.

Wow, what a scam, what a travesty, I grew Moonlight for several years actually.
A few years back I moved a bunch of roses and dropped the level of this
one area down to its original level. I left Moonlight to its fate which it
finally met last year. The stickiness and the flowers, to some degree, are
similar, I guess they'd have to be. heheh. Seriously I used to pamper that
thing--and it's unforgiving and a mean sob-- but it just never wanted to grow,
never appreciated all those times I pulled the tall grass outa the beeeeitch.
And watered it special.
Moonlight, a rose named Moonlight should be a no-brainer, should kill
everything under it, not have to worry about gd grass. I think I was taken
in by the line in the catalog that went something like 'lights up the night
garden like searchlights'.

You know, you really need to grow some ramblers in there. This pup is
12 feet tall on a post (I found the previous post it killed) and then
weeps to the ground. If you use your imagination, you can see the canes
all perfectly parallel and trained up and around the posts. I bought
one to shamelessly copy. Got to use pressure treated, 6 in. lumber, 3,
4 bags of Redimix. A couple day's work when the fog returns. R.
Sempervirens hybrid, I think. Only 5 leave leaflests, dark green. Not
to mention mauve. Looks as good as any tree, only it's 15 times the
work.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...ages/Flora.jpg

404d me. heheh.

How can that be?

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...ages/Flora.jpg

well there it is now. Cass, that's fairly obscene. No, it's really obscene.
I wouldn't want to attract that much attention, it's scary.

You Winduhs folks can't just comand- click that puppy? I dunno. It's
there. On the server. Check the directory. You won't be sorry.

Besides a couple Hueys

Sumbich pops up everywhere I transplant a budded rose or move a potted
rose that grew out of the drain holes. Root divisions. At last, a use
for Roundup.

sounds dangerously fer TILe out there, ThankGod things don't grow like that
around here. I once had bindweed pop out from under a light switchplate,
inside wall. Replaced some siding yesterday, there were a couple sections
someone was trying to weave a basket or make a door mat behind which.

Old 04-06-2003, 02:44 PM
dave weil

On 4 Jun 2003 08:35:06 -0500, (lms) wrote:

In article ,
says...

In article , lms
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Weird - you revel over 12 foot lanky sparse looking Mr. Lincolns but
you wouldn't want *this* plant - which has obviously grown to be what
it wants to be, which is a huge plant overloaded with blossoms?

Well, different strokes I suppose...