Old 22-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Natty_Dread

Default Question about pruning roses

Hi all -- I have two rose bushes in my back yard that likely have been
there for years. When I bought the house in 2000, one whole side of the
yard, including the two rose bushes, was overrun by a huge honeysuckle which
we finally cut down last summer (or cut back, I should say, since we can't
seem to kill it!). Since the roses were mostly covered with honeysuckle
until then, I don't really know what their blooming habits are, but they
needed pruning desperately, so in early March I pruned them way back to bare
canes. Both have leafed out quite nicely, and one of them, which I had
basically cut back to one "Y" cane coming out of the ground, actually has
eight buds about to bloom (I'm totally psyched about this, because I don't
think I've seen a total of eight blooms in the entire three years we've been
in the house!). However, to date the other bush has only produced leaves
and there is no sign of buds that I can identify. Might this indicate that
this particular bush is the type that blooms on the previous year's growth?
If so, does that mean I have to wait another year before I see blooms? They
are definitely two different cultivars, as one has large, elongated leaves
and the other has small, almost dainty leaves. Also, I fed them last
summer and fall; should I feed them now, or wait until later in the season?
Any ideas for me? Thanks in advance!

Rhonda
Alexandria, VA - Zone 7

Old 22-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Cass

In article , Natty_Dread
wrote:

[...]

It might, depending on where you are located. Some roses come out much
later than others and some really need heat to bloom. In addition, some
classes of roses are know to resent pruning. Baby it along and see what
happens. Maybe it's a really old one, like a tea, which can skip most
of the spring flush if pruned hard.

If so, does that mean I have to wait another year before I see blooms?

If it blooms on old wood only, you will need to wait until there is
some old wood. It isn't only older, once blooming classes of roses
that do this -- some climbing sports of hybrid tea and floribundas are
known to bloom on old wood. Makes pruning much more scientific, i.e.
you only want to prune off old, unproductive wood.

They
are definitely two different cultivars, as one has large, elongated leaves
and the other has small, almost dainty leaves. Also, I fed them last
summer and fall; should I feed them now, or wait until later in the season?

Feed them now. If you have harsh winter, fall feeding is problematic
because it generates new tender growth. You want your rose ready to go
dormant when the really good cold weather hits. August might be around
the latest you want to feed, but someone who lives in your zone could
give you a specific.

Any ideas for me? Thanks in advance!

Sure. Take pictures so we can enjoy them too. ;~)

--
-=-
Cass
Old 22-05-2003, 10:32 PM
saki

Cass wrote in
:

Some roses come out much
later than others and some really need heat to bloom. In addition,
some classes of roses are know to resent pruning....

If it blooms on old wood only, you will need to wait until there is
some old wood. It isn't only older, once blooming classes of roses
that do this -- some climbing sports of hybrid tea and floribundas are
known to bloom on old wood. Makes pruning much more scientific, i.e.
you only want to prune off old, unproductive wood.

This reminds me that I have a problem bloomer in my garden this year, the
Weeks shrub rose called Rockin' Robin.

Last year it responded enthusiastically to being pegged and minimally
pruned and rewarded us with lots of eye-catching single striped blooms.

This year it's done almost nothing in terms of new leaves along
preexisting canes and not a blossom in sight...though I noticed it's
throwing out one single cane from its base. It's been fed every two weeks
since January.

I don't remember it being a late bloomer last year, though several of my
shrub roses are extremely late this year (Grace Seward is just about to
open up), whereas everything else started in February.

This is SoCal, 10B. We had lots of heat in February and March, more rain
than usual in March and April, if that's any indication...it may not be.

But I'd love to get Rockin' Robin blooming again. It was quite nice.

Any ideas?

----

Old 23-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Cass

In article , saki
wrote:

Cass wrote in
:

[...]

Only guesses. During mild winters, Bonica, The Fairy and Carefree
Delight are the absolute latest roses to bloom. RR is a Bonica baby, so
maybe it follows the pattern of the parent. None of the three has
started to bloom here. Of course, during winters with a few frosts,
those 3 bloom along with everything else in May. Go figure.

Crepuscule is just opening its first blooms of the year - skipped the
early spring flush. Weird. The first rose to bloom was a potted hybrid
tea, Careless Love. Another hybrid tea in the ground is just opening
its first bloom. I can only suspect cool early spring soil temperatures
that affect some roses and not others.
Old 23-05-2003, 12:20 AM
saki

Cass wrote in
:

Only guesses. During mild winters, Bonica, The Fairy and Carefree
Delight are the absolute latest roses to bloom. RR is a Bonica baby,
so maybe it follows the pattern of the parent. None of the three has
started to bloom here. Of course, during winters with a few frosts,
those 3 bloom along with everything else in May. Go figure.

I appreciate the info. I feel better. I thought maybe I'd insulted RR in
some way.

Crepuscule is just opening its first blooms of the year - skipped the
early spring flush. Weird. The first rose to bloom was a potted hybrid
tea, Careless Love. Another hybrid tea in the ground is just opening
its first bloom. I can only suspect cool early spring soil
temperatures that affect some roses and not others.

I won't fret too much yet, then.

----

Old 23-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Scopata Fuori

Only guesses. During mild winters, Bonica, The Fairy and Carefree
Delight are the absolute latest roses to bloom. RR is a Bonica baby, so
maybe it follows the pattern of the parent.

Yet here in the eastern coastal 7b climate, my Bonicas (Bonica 82) are among
the first. They opened a half dozen or so, but are holding out the hundreds
of fattening buds they still have.

The Fairy has one bloom, and plenty of buds, but Jean LaJoie is covered.
I'll have to upload that picture to the picture website. It's next to a Red
Cascade which is covered with buds but no blooms yet, and a large Cl. White
Dawn with literally thousands of buds growing ever fatter. What a contrast!
The RC and the JL are right next to each other, and look very, very similar
other than the blooms, yet such a different idea of when and how to bloom.

The Iceberg tree rose is covered with perky buds, and am waiting for the New
Year tree rose to pop, as well. Angel Face and Chrysler Imperial (tree roses
also) cacked it during this last hard freeze after breaking dormancy. Out
they come. I'd like to replace them both with The Fairy as standards, this
time.

Scopata Fuori

Old 23-05-2003, 07:08 AM
lms

In article , says...

Cass wrote in
:

Some roses come out much
later than others and some really need heat to bloom. In addition,
some classes of roses are know to resent pruning....

If it blooms on old wood only, you will need to wait until there is
some old wood. It isn't only older, once blooming classes of roses
that do this -- some climbing sports of hybrid tea and floribundas are
known to bloom on old wood. Makes pruning much more scientific, i.e.
you only want to prune off old, unproductive wood.

This reminds me that I have a problem bloomer in my garden this year, the
Weeks shrub rose called Rockin' Robin.

another Tom Carruth striper in the wake of Scentimental, I grow this rose,
have had basically similar results. This rose's thing was stripes, that's
supposed to keep you happy, you're not supposed to worry about how big or how
many. Frau Dagmar Hartopp popped up in the middle of it, 8 or 10 feet from
mom, I've wondered what to do about it the last few years, but it's basically a
non-problem, Frau Dagmar fills in what Rockin' Robin lacks. Here it blooms
dependably but has never had enough canes to just knock someone down.
It was also not what I expected, being cherry-red, not that vivid brilliant
like Scentimental or Roller Coaster, Hurdy Gurdy, etc. Maybe you could
plant both of these real close to it, that would certainly beef it up. They're
both killer stripers.
Or perhaps you could just hack it back to delivery size each year, that might
even work to get it back 'on track'.

Old 23-05-2003, 03:21 PM
Cass

In article , Scopata Fuori
wrote:

Only guesses. During mild winters, Bonica, The Fairy and Carefree
Delight are the absolute latest roses to bloom. RR is a Bonica baby, so
maybe it follows the pattern of the parent.

Yet here in the eastern coastal 7b climate, my Bonicas (Bonica 82) are among
the first. They opened a half dozen or so, but are holding out the hundreds
of fattening buds they still have.

The Fairy has one bloom, and plenty of buds, but Jean LaJoie is covered.
I'll have to upload that picture to the picture website.

Same here as to Bonica, The Fairy, and Jean Lajoie. They are on the
eastern coastal schedule.

It's next to a Red
Cascade which is covered with buds but no blooms yet, and a large Cl. White
Dawn with literally thousands of buds growing ever fatter. What a contrast!
The RC and the JL are right next to each other, and look very, very similar
other than the blooms, yet such a different idea of when and how to bloom.

The Iceberg tree rose is covered with perky buds,

Iceberg is just about blown. Plastered.
Old 23-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Cass

In article , lms
wrote:

In article , says...

[...]

Which brings to mind a number of complaints about Fourth of July. Mine
is a beast, drugstore sidewalk sale material, bought a year ago, plenty
of 6 foot basals. It's a 50-50 break between those who say FOJ is
vigorous and those who say it hasn't grown more than 3 feet in 3 years.

I got the Moore striper Shadow Dancer last fall. Little OR squirt,
won't stop blooming long enough to grow. Starts crimson/pink, fades to
pink/white.
Old 24-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Natty_Dread

Thanks, Cass! :-)

Old 30-05-2003, 04:44 AM
lms

In article ,
says...

In article , lms
wrote:

In article ,

says...

[...]

hahahaha. gimme.
I'm just kiddin. I stuck Fourth of July in Betty Boop's hole, I've been
watitin ever since.
Roses like this one grow but get forgotten. There are 2 or 3 like this one
in the grapegiant area, each year I dutifully hack everything dead and living
away from these skrags to give them one more chance to croak and gd, they never
do, and even bloom so they get to stay. Some relatively rare roses too--
Camara, Remember Me, Hello, Marvelle. Camara's blooming right now, pretty good
too for what it's working with.
With the likes of Trier and Spring Morning and Julie Annnndrews and Canary Bird
and Felicite Parmentier breathing down their necks it's easy to understand how
these hybrid wimps get lost in the shuffle, Julie Annnndrews notwithstanding.
Every other year I like the color of that rose, it's some weird shade of
coral-orange. And it's kept up, done what it's had to do, which is totally
commendable.

I got the Moore striper Shadow Dancer last fall. Little OR squirt,
won't stop blooming long enough to grow. Starts crimson/pink, fades to
pink/white.

That one was on my last Moore order form that I didn't send in. I have one
of those from Nor'East right now. Postage figured, everything. Strict limit
of 5, it was tough but I'm satisfied I picked the very best roses.
To not grow. hahaha.
no, really, I'm going to send it n.

Old 30-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Theo Asir

I stuck Fourth of July in Betty Boop's hole, I've been
watitin ever since.

Man! I got a dirty mind. Heh!

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 30-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Susan H. Simko

saki wrote:

By the way, I've discovered that the best way to get a reluctant bloomer to
go forward is to reveal the problem in r.g.r.

Not two days after I asked for some advice on Rockin' Robin it popped out
with new growth along its pegged canes and now sports numerous flower buds.

Hey, I think you have something there! I mentioned my thoughts on
s.p.'ing Pristine after three weeks in the ground and not having broke
dormancy and next thing I know she's breaking dormancy! *grin* Maybe
they know we're serious when we start talking about them instead of
simply to them?

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu