Old 24-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Shiva

Default Fragrance of Gold Medal

Granted that fragrance varies from region to region, nose to nose, day
to day and even hour to hour if we are to believe all we hear, Gold
Medal is the most fragrant rose in my garden except Granada. the scent
is "rosy," not fruity like Mr. Lincoln and some of the Austins such as
Jude the Obscure.

Good yellow roses are hard to find among the modern roses. This is a
good rose for those who use preventive measures against fungal disease
and insect damage, even here in the swamps of Zone 7 NC. It is a
grandiflora, so blooms in sprays. When I pinched the side buds it made
huge central blooms.

Although the center could be higher, the form is still very nice.
There is the faintest blush on the oustide of the petals and the
edges. It is a great cutting rose and a fair garden rose for those who
want great fragrance and good vigor in a yellow modern rose.
Old 25-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Daniel Hanna

In 235b089a34e651633f9df49dc5079ecb@TeraNews Shiva wrote:
Although the center could be higher, the form is still very nice.
There is the faintest blush on the oustide of the petals and the
edges. It is a great cutting rose and a fair garden rose for those who
want great fragrance and good vigor in a yellow modern rose.

I agree Shiva. There hasn't been a good new pure yellow HT in decades.
I gave up after trying Gina Lollobrigida and Midas Touch. Nowadays I
settle for Elina (a nice creamy yellow bordering on white) and Dame
Elisabeth Murdoch (yellow edged with melon pink).

I wouldn't call Gold Medal pure yellow, since the edges can be tinged
with bronze in a warm climate. Either way it's a beautiful rose and the
fragrance is OK.

One of these years I'll try St Patrick (if it has fragrance) and
Valencia.
Old 25-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Jeffrey J. Potoff

Shiva wrote:
[...]

You forgot "fades terribly when left on the bush." I dug mine up and
gave it away this spring because I didn't want a cream colored rose
after two days.

J.

Old 25-05-2003, 06:08 AM
Shiva

On 25 May 2003 01:05:14 GMT, Daniel Hanna
wrote:

I wouldn't call Gold Medal pure yellow, since the edges can be tinged
with bronze in a warm climate.

[...]

Bronze! The color variations between here and there fascinate me.

One of these years I'll try St Patrick (if it has fragrance) and
Valencia.

St. Patrick has no fragrance and is very GREEN until fairly well open.
Valencia is not yellow to my eye, but peachy. Beautiful, though.

Old 25-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Shiva

On Sun, 25 May 2003 03:37:16 GMT, "Jeffrey J. Potoff"
wrote:

You forgot "fades terribly when left on the bush." I dug mine up and
gave it away this spring because I didn't want a cream colored rose
after two days.

You know what, Jeffrey? Mine never turn any shade of "cream" at all.
They stay yellow until they shatter or I deadhead. Granted, I cut
fully half the blooms this rose produces for the table--mine or
others.

Do you require of your roses a static color for a certain number of
days?

I find most of mine change from the minute they bud until the minute
they shatter.

This is one of the things I love about roses and other living
things--a certain dynamic quality. Anything more static and I might
just as well have artificial.

J.

Old 26-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Jeffrey J. Potoff

wrote:

You forgot "fades terribly when left on the bush." I dug mine up and
gave it away this spring because I didn't want a cream colored rose
after two days.

You know what, Jeffrey? Mine never turn any shade of "cream" at all.
They stay yellow until they shatter or I deadhead. Granted, I cut
fully half the blooms this rose produces for the table--mine or
others.

I don't cut many. If I bring them inside, they hold their color. Leave
them on the bush and the fade away. Since I grow roses for how they
look outside, on the bush, Gold Medal is not a useful plant for me.

Do you require of your roses a static color for a certain number of
days?

I require that they look decent for a certain number of days and two
isn't it. Fading or changing to another decent color combination is
fine (as most of my roses do), but fading to something that looks like
crap isn't.

J.

Old 26-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Shiva

On Sun, 25 May 2003 23:10:10 GMT, "Jeffrey J. Potoff"
wrote:

I don't cut many. If I bring them inside, they hold their color. Leave
them on the bush and the fade away.

Well there's the difference, then. Perhaps we can agree that Gold
Medal makes a wonderful cutting rose, if not the best garden rose in
all areas. By the way, where are you?

I require that they look decent for a certain number of days and two
isn't it. Fading or changing to another decent color combination is
fine (as most of my roses do), but fading to something that looks like
crap isn't.

Ahh. "Something that looks like crap." Herein lies the purely
subjective element. Some people love cream colored roses, albeit not
usually on plants that begin with yellow blooms. I think the color is
why I cannot stand Peace. Or is it the constant split centers, the
stuffed-in look of the petals, the tight quilling, the complete lack
of scent. It's hard to tell.

J.

Old 27-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Theo Asir

Valencia.

St. Patrick has no fragrance and is very GREEN until fairly well open.
Valencia is not yellow to my eye, but peachy. Beautiful, though.

Beg to differ my grafted has a strong tea scent.
It is stinking up my entire office as we speak
with just three blooms.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 27-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Shiva

On Tue, 27 May 2003 14:35:21 GMT, "Theo Asir"
wrote:

Valencia.

St. Patrick has no fragrance and is very GREEN until fairly well open.
Valencia is not yellow to my eye, but peachy. Beautiful, though.

Beg to differ my grafted has a strong tea scent.
It is stinking up my entire office as we speak
with just three blooms.

No WAY! St. Patrick? Hmm. I might just need this one after all.
Thanks, Theo.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 27-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Theo Asir

St. Patrick has no fragrance and is very GREEN until fairly well open.
Valencia is not yellow to my eye, but peachy. Beautiful, though.

Beg to differ my grafted has a strong tea scent.
It is stinking up my entire office as we speak
with just three blooms.

No WAY! St. Patrick? Hmm. I might just need this one after all.
Thanks, Theo.

I always get this reaction. Everyone
is convinced that St Patrick has no scent.
Daniel Hanna tried to tell me that last year.

It does not have an overpowering scent
but boy get it into any enclosed space
and it just goes on pumping out scent for
days.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 29-05-2003, 06:21 AM
Jane Lumley

I'm an Old Garden rose hag, so I think my old roses smell far, far
better than moderns, and just now I'm especially loving Ispahan, Mme
Pierre Oger, Alchymist, and Roseraie de L'Hay, which though fast of its
scent is magnificent at close range. I have about twenty others out
too, including my lovely huge Mme Alfred Carriere, but though it's
scented it's not releasing well in this cool May. My Gertrude Jekylls
are my pick of modern roses for scent.
--
Jane Lumley
Old 04-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Shiva

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 03:59:56 GMT, "Jeffrey J. Potoff"
wrote this [GASP!} about Gold Medal:

It got plenty of water. I don't like the color it fades to. I'm
allowed to have an opinion on what colors I like, right?

You bet. It's just that when some of us love a rose and others of us
hate it, it's like OUCH, you know? Perfectly human. I am going to
start a thread just for you in a minute.

Well, IN MY
OPINION, Gold Medal isn't that great of a rose.

I dug mine up this spring and replaced it with Fragrant Plum.

I would like to know how this one does for you. I am in search of the
perfect purple rose. My choices are all over the group. Simply
Marvelous is just about to bloom. Very wimpy bare root, but hope
springs eternal.