Old 25-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Ali

Default A young rose that's never bloomed. Help?

I've got a four year old rosebush that grew from seed (a volunteer - I
didn't plant it, nor is it like any of our other roses) that has never
bloomed, though it appears to be quite happy and healthy. Like all the other
roses I have, it gets compost, banana peels once in a while, and a handful
of epson salts. All the other roses are doing great and ready to bloom, but
still this one hasn't, and never has.

Is it just too young and I'm expecting too much of a from-seed rose? Or am I
not doing the right things for it?

Any help would be appreciated. I can take a digital pic of it and put it on
my website if it'd help in a diagnosis.

Thanks,

Ali

Old 25-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Gail Futoran

"Ali" wrote in message
news
I've got a four year old rosebush that grew from seed (a
volunteer - I
didn't plant it, nor is it like any of our other roses)

that has never
bloomed, though it appears to be quite happy and healthy.

Like all the other
roses I have, it gets compost, banana peels once in a

while, and a handful
of epson salts. All the other roses are doing great and

ready to bloom, but
still this one hasn't, and never has.

Is it just too young and I'm expecting too much of a

from-seed rose? Or am I
not doing the right things for it?

Any help would be appreciated. I can take a digital pic of

it and put it on
my website if it'd help in a diagnosis.

Thanks,

Ali

Are you sure it grew from seed? I transplanted
a Floribunda last year and this year a "new"
rose is coming up in its (old) place. That would
be the rootstock, of course. If it's Dr. Huey
and blooms (spring, red) I might keep it. If
it's some other rootstock that never blooms,
I will probably shovel prune it.

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 26-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Ali

I'm pretty sure it isn't root stock. We never had roses in this particular
bed, and it's unlike any rose we have so far. We've got an Iceburg out
front, a pink which the name escapes me right now, and a pink rugosa up in
the raised bed. This one's got abundant medium sized leaves that are quite
tender, compared the others. I've had to thin out the canes each year on
this unknown because it seems to get too leafy for it's own good - poor air
flow and crossing canes.

Anyone have any suggestions, still? Is it possible for a rose to not bloom?
And why?

Ali

Old 26-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Gail Futoran

"Ali" wrote in message
I'm pretty sure it isn't root stock. We never had roses in

this particular
bed, and it's unlike any rose we have so far. We've got an

Iceburg out
front, a pink which the name escapes me right now, and a

pink rugosa up in
the raised bed. This one's got abundant medium sized

leaves that are quite
tender, compared the others. I've had to thin out the

canes each year on
this unknown because it seems to get too leafy for it's

own good - poor air
flow and crossing canes.

Anyone have any suggestions, still? Is it possible for a

rose to not bloom?
And why?

Ali

Do you have a local nursery that might be
willing to try to identify the plant for you?
If there are a lot of leaves, surely it would be
worth cutting some off to show an expert.

Roses don't bloom for lots of reasons,
including seasonal - some roses bloom only
once per year - but if the other roses in your
bed are blooming it's probably not a cultural
(soil, food, water) problem.

Gail

Old 28-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Ali

I haven't had much luck with the local nursery on identifying things,
unfortunately, so I haven't tried that with this rose. I may give it another
try.

Ali

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message

Do you have a local nursery that might be
willing to try to identify the plant for you?
If there are a lot of leaves, surely it would be
worth cutting some off to show an expert.

Roses don't bloom for lots of reasons,
including seasonal - some roses bloom only
once per year - but if the other roses in your
bed are blooming it's probably not a cultural
(soil, food, water) problem.

Gail

The peas FINALLY bloomed yesterday... [email protected] North Carolina 7 02-05-2009 11:45 AM
It's almost bloomed! Huskies4all Roses 3 29-05-2003 06:21 AM
Has Weigela 'French Lace' already bloomed? Melinda Tennielle Gardening 5 16-04-2003 04:32 AM
Finally, the bareroot bloomed Shiva Roses 6 04-04-2003 06:08 AM
Finally, the bareroot bloomed! Emil Roses 1 02-04-2003 10:32 PM