Old 25-05-2003, 10:20 PM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Default Moss rose, anyone have one in their yard?

Sorry if this duplicates, I can't find the previous post I made the other
night and my usenet provider is flaky at times.

In any event, I was looking through a rose bush that had a couple photos of
moss roses, it didnt give me any real information just some great looking
pictures and that the scent of the blooms is mixed with the scent of pine of
the moss and that it's heavenly.

So, does anyone have these in their yards? If so are they hardy and disease
resistant? I live in Zone 08a

Thanks,

Old 26-05-2003, 03:56 PM
J. Del Col

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote in message news:212a6c3eefdd226baf21e4b0abed2354@TeraNews.. .
Sorry if this duplicates, I can't find the previous post I made the other
night and my usenet provider is flaky at times.

In any event, I was looking through a rose bush that had a couple photos of
moss roses, it didnt give me any real information just some great looking
pictures and that the scent of the blooms is mixed with the scent of pine of
the moss and that it's heavenly.

So, does anyone have these in their yards? If so are they hardy and disease
resistant? I live in Zone 08a

I have several moss roses including "Salet" and several "found" moss
roses. They are all hardy and fairly disease resistant. Please keep
in mind that they bloom only in late spring and early summer.

The piney/peppery scent from the moss is particularly strong in
"Salet."

They are easy roses. Give them plenty of sun, water and a good
balanced rose
fertilizer, and they will produce loads of bloom.

J. Del Col
Old 27-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Theo Asir

I had Salet meveral years ago in Zone 5. Beautiful rose. But it was
subject to downy mildew and finally sucumbed in one of our cold dry
winters.

Downy?? I've never seen that here.
This is the first year I've seen some powdery
and it was only on The Fairy.

I'm very curious. Where in Zone 5
did you grow it. Was it grafted?

I do grow salet and it is a nice 4' shrub
for me and an absolute bloom machine.

I planted it as a tiny own root last
september and it did just fine w/ our
-18f winter.