GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   containing aphids and beetles without pesticides (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/28974-containing-aphids-beetles-without-pesticides.html)

[email protected] 26-05-2003 02:56 PM

containing aphids and beetles without pesticides

can anyone suggest how to contain aphids and beetles without resorting
to using pesticides.

i don't want to massacre the bugs just move them on.

can you suggest companion plants that will attract natural predators
or that the bugs would prefer to my roses.

many thanks

Ali 26-05-2003 03:20 PM

containing aphids and beetles without pesticides

If memory serves me, a lot of bugs don't like marigolds. My mother used to
plant marigolds around the base of our climbing red rose, and a few others.
Or you could go to your local nursery and buy a container of ladybugs. We
did that a couple years in a row and it's helped quite a bit. (we've also
used neem oil and soapy water too, but that does kill bugs, even though it
is organic)

Ali

Daniel Hanna 26-05-2003 04:08 PM

containing aphids and beetles without pesticides

In e7dd14acda071b1b7d10cd11a9e209a9@TeraNews
wrote:
can anyone suggest how to contain aphids and beetles without resorting
to using pesticides.

i don't want to massacre the bugs just move them on.

can you suggest companion plants that will attract natural predators
or that the bugs would prefer to my roses.

There are all sorts of old wives tales. My guess is that there's truth
in some of them. A few I've heard a

* Lavender
* Garlic
* Marigolds (for nematodes)
* Parsley
* Onions
* Chives
* Assorted other fragrant herbs and alliums

Most aren't repellents. They are said to confuse the predators' sense
of smell, so that the roses become 'undetectable' as food for them to
eat. Having said that, I grow lavender between my roses and the local
aphids seem to have x-ray vision :-)

GamePlayer No. 1058 26-05-2003 05:08 PM

containing aphids and beetles without pesticides

Im going to suggest LadyBugs, I got to the nursery too late this year, but
one of my neighbors apparently didnt, I was having the usual terrible aphid
problem early on in the year, like last month. My climber was absolutely
covered in aphids, and the climber being a cover for my french doors I
needed to do something. In any event I believe my neighbor went and got
some lady bugs and when they finished with their yard, they came a calling
to my yard.

No more aphids at all in my yard (or house). But this wont move the aphids
out, it does kill them by having the lady bugs eat them, but it's a natural
process with no chemicals, the only down side to this is if you or someone
in your house hates all bugs including lady bugs, lady bugs dont bother me
wherease aphids look disgusting to me.

:

Shiva 27-05-2003 03:44 AM

On Mon, 26 May 2003 13:47:04 GMT, wrote:

can anyone suggest how to contain aphids and beetles without resorting
to using pesticides.

Do you have a moral problem with other bugs eating them? I sat down in
a friend's library today and read about all the insects that eat
aphids. There are lots and lots.

Want to move them on without hurting them? Hose your roses down with
a fine hard spray of water once a day, then run around screaming and
shaking your rose bushes--each one, really hard.

Medieval books suggest using a bellows and blowing lots of smoke on
them.

If you're lucky, you will annoy them, they will move on, and your
neighbors will hate you since they will then be in their yards. I did
this with voles. Trust me.

J. Del Col 29-05-2003 05:21 AM

containing aphids and beetles without pesticides

wrote in message news:e7dd14acda071b1b7d10cd11a9e209a9@TeraNews.. .
can anyone suggest how to contain aphids and beetles without resorting
to using pesticides.

i don't want to massacre the bugs just move them on.

can you suggest companion plants that will attract natural predators
or that the bugs would prefer to my roses.

Aphids can be controlled with a stiff spray of water. I don't share
your
qualms about destroying them. Aphids are mainly parthenogenic;
i.e.they are born pregnant(actually two generations pregnant) and
multiply at an incredible rate.

I don't use pesticides, but I don't hestitate to squash aphids,
Japanese beetles or other pests. Trying to deter them non-violently is
largely a waste of time, and if left alone, they -will- damage or
destroy your roses.

J. Del Col