Old 26-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Bob

Default black roses question

I live in western PA. Where can I get black roses and will they grow here.
Or is there a website that I should checkout?

Old 26-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Scopata Fuori

"Bob" wrote in message
I live in western PA. Where can I get black roses and will they grow here.
Or is there a website that I should checkout?

There are no black roses. And no blue roses.

There are some varieties that are very dark red, though. Try
http://www.helpmefind.com and look for roses that are listed as dark red.

Scopata Fuori

Old 27-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Kevin Eberwein

"Bob" wrote in message news:VHqAa.729991$OV.673132@rwcrnsc54...
I live in western PA. Where can I get black roses and will they grow here.
Or is there a website that I should checkout?

Try looking into "Taboo" and "Ink Spots". They aren't black, but they
are the closest I've seen. Both are a very dark red color. You can
find Taboo at Regan Nursery
(http://www.regannursery.com/roses/browse.lasso?name=T) and Ink Spots
at Edmunds Roses (http://www.edmundsroses.com/cgi-bin/...ts=&pagenum=30).
I don't think they are available for planting this season anymore.
Old 27-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Daniel Hanna

In Kevin Eberwein
wrote:
Try looking into "Taboo" and "Ink Spots". They aren't black, but they
are the closest I've seen.

I grow Black Velvet, which is similar. There's a definite black sheen
on the deep red petals, which is really attractive. The fragrance lets
it down a bit though.

Old 27-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Shiva

On 27 May 2003 20:50:47 GMT, Daniel Hanna
wrote:

In Kevin Eberwein
wrote:
Try looking into "Taboo" and "Ink Spots". They aren't black, but they
are the closest I've seen.

I grow Black Velvet, which is similar. There's a definite black sheen
on the deep red petals, which is really attractive. The fragrance lets
it down a bit though.

Is it a mini??

Old 27-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Daniel Hanna

In 0f48286f04ad7271ffba0ac6818c82d0@TeraNews Shiva wrote:
Is it a mini??

No, the blooms are quite large:

http://members.optushome.com.au/djhanna/diary0503.html
Old 28-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Shiva

On 27 May 2003 21:35:17 GMT, Daniel Hanna
wrote:

In 0f48286f04ad7271ffba0ac6818c82d0@TeraNews Shiva wrote:
Is it a mini??

No, the blooms are quite large:

http://members.optushome.com.au/djhanna/diary0503.html

Gorgeous.

The one I was thinking of is the miniature Black Jade, I looked it up.

Check this out--click on the first photo on the left. It looks really
black!

http://helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=713

Old 28-05-2003, 04:56 AM
JimS.

"Shiva" wrote in message

The one I was thinking of is the miniature Black Jade, I looked it up.

Check this out--click on the first photo on the left. It looks really

black!

http://helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=713

My friend just snagged a mini Black Jade yesterday at Fred Meyer. It was a
charity case... you know-- marked down from marked down, etc. Think he paid
like $5 for it. In spite of how long it had obviously been neglected, it
looked like it's going to come back fine. It wasn't as dark as that pic,
but it was very, very dark. About as dark as Taboo (which I have), maybe
even a teeny bit darker. Cool looking rose. For a mini, anyway. (I feel
almost the same way about mini's as I do about Pink roses, and we don't
wanna go there...!)

JimS.
Seattle

Old 01-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Unique Too

(Shiva) writes:

The one I was thinking of is the miniature Black Jade, I looked it up.

Check this out--click on the first photo on the left. It looks really
black!

http://helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=713

I've seen a couple of Black Jades and another of the so called "black" roses
recently. Neither of them were even remotely black, not even dark red, more of
a bright red, I was really disappointed in their color. They were closer to
the last photo of the set on HMF.
I wonder if these roses become lighter in our sun? Anyone in a strong sun
climate growing any of the "black" roses?
Julie

Old 01-06-2003, 12:20 PM
JimS.

"Unique Too" wrote in message
(Shiva) writes:

The one I was thinking of is the miniature Black Jade, I looked it up.

Check this out--click on the first photo on the left. It looks really
black!

http://helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=713

I've seen a couple of Black Jades and another of the so called "black"

roses
recently. Neither of them were even remotely black, not even dark red,

more of
a bright red, I was really disappointed in their color. They were closer

the last photo of the set on HMF.
I wonder if these roses become lighter in our sun? Anyone in a strong sun
climate growing any of the "black" roses?
Julie

It must be the strong sun. In Seattle, the mini Black Jade I saw last week
was definitlely almost black. Yes, of course, you could tell it was really
dark, dark, red. But practically black. Must be affected by the strength
of the sun.

JimS.
Seattle

Old 03-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Scopata Fuori

I don't know where you saw your red roses but if you want black roses you

must
plant your black rose where it gets some shade and a rose pushed to the
limit of this will deliver the blackest rose.

Hhhm... my experience has been that my darkest red roses acquire a blackened
shade in the heat of the full summer sun. Oklahoma, for one. The only black
in the shade I've seen, was on a now dead Black Garnet, with a fatal case of
what I can only guess to have been a botrytis or mildew infestation. The
entire buds blackened, and the canes quikly fell victim as well. It was only
a little shade, as it was near an apple tree, so late afternoon gave it some
shade.

Scopata Fuori

"Bad cat!"

Old 04-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Cass

In article , lms
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I've seen a couple of Black Jades and another of the so called "black" roses
recently. Neither of them were even remotely black, not even dark red, more

of
a bright red, I was really disappointed in their color.

I don't know where you saw your red roses but if you want black roses you must
plant your black rose where it gets some shade and a rose pushed to the
limit of this will deliver the blackest rose.
I grew Guinee for about a dozen years, it's claimed in many books that it's
*the blackest rose, but I've seen it red red more times than I can tell you.
It didn't upset me, I didn't feel betrayed, I only felt enlightened. They all
behave similarly.

They were closer to
the last photo of the set on HMF.
I wonder if these roses become lighter in our sun? Anyone in a strong sun
climate growing any of the "black" roses?

yep. I quit chasing black roses after seeing so many red ones, but there
are still few roses on earth which can touch Oklahoma.

My blackest rose is Thor. It is a rich red in summer, but when the
days get short (and the bloom gets really sparce, like in October) it
is really dark and 5 inches across:

http://www.rosefog.us/Roseoftheday/ThorOct02.jpg

People are wild for a really dark rose. I took it to Miriam Wilkin's
Celebration of Old Roses, and three people wanted it bad. One took one
of the two blooms to try to root. Now, with the long days, it is the
darkest cherry red.
Old 04-06-2003, 02:32 PM
lms

In article ,
says...

I don't know where you saw your red roses but if you want black roses you

must
plant your black rose where it gets some shade and a rose pushed to the
limit of this will deliver the blackest rose.

Hhhm... my experience has been that my darkest red roses acquire a blackened
shade in the heat of the full summer sun.

uhhhh hhhm, you musbe hallucinating. Why do you think yellow roses turn white
in the sun? As an analogy. Why won't Peace have any red in it in the full
sun, why etc., etc.?

there are 2 things you can see in this pic
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Blkokie.jpg
one is the bright summer sun, unquestionably visible; two is the shade the rose
sits in. I did absolutely nothing to that pic, it's strictly kodacolor, it's
exactly what I saw and what I'll see again. This one grows on the north side
of the house, gets a window of sun midday over a 2-story house.
If you grow Guinee in the full sun, you'll never see anything approaching blk.

A rose can be in the shade while half the bush is in the bright summer sun, no?
That'll work too, if your rose is actually big enough to provide some shade.
If you want a really black rose, I'd suggest Sfinge. Or Villa Pia.

Oklahoma, for one. The only black
in the shade I've seen, was on a now dead Black Garnet, with a fatal case of
what I can only guess to have been a botrytis or mildew infestation. The
entire buds blackened, and the canes quikly fell victim as well. It was only
a little shade, as it was near an apple tree, so late afternoon gave it some
shade.

Dead roses don't count, can't jump.