Old 28-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Scopata Fuori

Default Botrytis, Mancozeb

Two smart, surgical strike rosarians recommended Decree. It was hugely
and almost immediately effective. So if Mancozeb lets you down, there's
another for your arsenal.

Decree? I've never heard of that one. Does Rosemania sell it, and is it
systemic?

I've been using Mancozeb to ward off blackspot, adding it to every spray, in
case the spores decide to use my spray to launch their evil attack.

Here's the quote from Rosemania, regarding killing active spores. I've seen
the cite for Mancozeb vs. spores elsewhere, but this is the first one that
comes to mind:

"If blackspot is already active in your garden, a preventative is going to
do little good. You need a contact killer. Spray Manzate or Mancozeb every
three days for three intervals. Example: Spray on Monday, Thursday and
Sunday. Be sure to spray the top and bottom side of the leaves and the soil
in the bed. This will kill all the active spores and give you a fresh start.
Once completed, go back to your regular preventative program."

So this is pretty much what I have been doing. I add Mancozeb (the liquid
form of Manzate) to whatever the spray du jour is, to give a shot of
whoop-ass to any lurking spores.

Evidently it's not ideal for botrytis, but so far, blackspot has been held
at bay for the most part.

Scopata Fuori

Old 28-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Shiva

Scopata Fuori wrote:

I've been using Mancozeb to ward off blackspot, adding it to every spray

Tell me, how do you know it is safe to mix Mancozeb with everything else?
Can I mix it with my Orthenex to try to wipe out existing bs? (Missed a
spray date.) I have Manzate too.

Old 28-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Scopata Fuori

Tell me, how do you know it is safe to mix Mancozeb with everything else?
Can I mix it with my Orthenex to try to wipe out existing bs? (Missed a
spray date.) I have Manzate too.

I don't know about Orthenex, but I have read the labels and by the
information I've read, it can be mixed with a lot of theings. Some labels
specify not to mix them with anything else, and those I do spray first,
without anything else.

The Rosemania site specifically mentiones adding Mancozeb to Banner Maxx, s
do severla of the local rose society webpages. And it's worked for me!
Banner Maxx is a systemic, whereas Mancozeb is a "contact" killer.

Manzate is the powdered form of Mancozeb, I believe. The active ingrediant
is called Zyban. It is sold under many trade names, such as Dithane,
Dithane-Ultra, Fore, Green-Daisen M, Karamate, Mancofol, Mancozeb, Mancozin,
Manzate 200, Manzeb, Manzin Nemispor, Nemispot, Policar, Riozeb, and
Zimaneb. Although it smells positively hideous, Mancozeb is a "practically
nontoxic ethylene bisdithiocarbamate in EPA toxicity class IV - practically
nontoxic. It is registered as a General Use Pesticide (GUP)." It is also
specifically listed by the EPA as not being toxic to honeybees, in
particular.

I don't use a lot of insecticides, as I try to let nature kep things in
balance. I did add the first round of Cygon 2E this time, as aphids are
completely swarming some of my plants. I was using Sevin dust on the mini
climbers and Cl. White Dawn, but I don't think it was sticking where it
needed to stick, to get rid of the aphids. I toss in some foliar feeding,
while I'm at it, so I don't have to do it separately.

I think I do have some Orthenex left, and this week, while I'm on vacation
(from work!) I'll look at the label, to see what it says about mixing. I
know some of them do specify that they should not be combined. Always read
the label first!

Scopata Fuori

"Bad Cat!"

Old 29-05-2003, 06:21 AM
Cass

In article , Scopata Fuori
wrote:

Two smart, surgical strike rosarians recommended Decree. It was hugely
and almost immediately effective. So if Mancozeb lets you down, there's
another for your arsenal.

Decree? I've never heard of that one. Does Rosemania sell it, and is it
systemic?

Don't think so and no. I got it from a golf course/turf supplier.
Old 29-05-2003, 06:21 AM
Cass

In article , Scopata Fuori
wrote:

Tell me, how do you know it is safe to mix Mancozeb with everything else?
Can I mix it with my Orthenex to try to wipe out existing bs? (Missed a
spray date.) I have Manzate too.

I don't know about Orthenex, but I have read the labels and by the
information I've read, it can be mixed with a lot of theings. Some labels
specify not to mix them with anything else, and those I do spray first,
without anything else.

The Rosemania site specifically mentiones adding Mancozeb to Banner Maxx, s
do severla of the local rose society webpages. And it's worked for me!
Banner Maxx is a systemic, whereas Mancozeb is a "contact" killer.

Using multiple agents is common enough that each manufacturer includes
a statment on their label describing what can be mixed and which must
have pH adjustment of the water and which must be used with a sticker
spreader.

Old 29-05-2003, 06:21 AM
Scopata Fuori

Decree? I've never heard of that one. Does Rosemania sell it, and is it
systemic?

Don't think so and no. I got it from a golf course/turf supplier.

Aha! My best friend works at a golf course, perhaps she can order some for
me.

Scopata Fuori

Old 30-05-2003, 05:10 PM
Shiva

Cass wrote:
Using multiple agents is common enough that each manufacturer includes
a statment on their label describing what can be mixed and which must
have pH adjustment of the water and which must be used with a sticker
spreader.

Thanks, Cass! I'll take a look at the label and the Ortho site, I think
they may have that information too.

Old 30-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Cass

In article
aHlwYXRpYQ==.c28fa5904d1f68ae9e84ecb014d023c0@105 4306496.cotse.net,
Shiva wrote:

Cass wrote:
Using multiple agents is common enough that each manufacturer includes
a statment on their label describing what can be mixed and which must
have pH adjustment of the water and which must be used with a sticker
spreader.

Thanks, Cass! I'll take a look at the label and the Ortho site, I think
they may have that information too.

Boy, watch out following my advice on spraying! I did much more damage
to my roses this spring with a chemical than all the bugs, fungus and
nutritional deficits combined. But I do know that it is such a pain to
spray that if you have to do it, it makes sense to combine what can be
combined -- some organics, some fungicide for this, some fungicide for
that, some ferts -- so you don't have to do it as often.

The newer fungicides seem to be so very specific in their targets that
between rotating agents to avoid resistance, adjusting the pH of the
water (up or down), knowing what can be mixed and what can't be mixed,
knowing which require stickers and which have stickers built-in, and
having the weather forecast on hand, you need lots of time and planning
to do this right. The most effective fungicides seem to be terribly
expensive.

The upside - which is all-important to me - is that once you parse it
out, you can use Category III (Caution/Slightly Toxic) fungicides
instead of Category I fungicides (Danger/Poison). For me, that's the
difference between using a fungicide in a major outbreak and not using
anything at all. I don't have a single rose worth irreversible
blindness.

PLJ ...ant- botrytis ? vsop United Kingdom 6 13-01-2005 10:35 PM
Fungicide for botrytis on grape vine Howard Neil United Kingdom 27 10-05-2004 11:07 PM
Botrytis Tom Atkinson United Kingdom 1 10-12-2003 08:05 PM
botrytis on indoor vines Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 0 18-10-2003 10:22 AM
Botrytis Scopata Fuori Roses 1 28-05-2003 02:08 AM