Old 01-06-2003, 05:20 PM
dave weil

Default June 1st...

....and just like clockwork, the first Japanese beetle found. He or she
is now swimming the swim of the peaceful.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Shiva

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 11:06:45 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

...and just like clockwork, the first Japanese beetle found. He or she
is now swimming the swim of the peaceful.

I call that "floating."

:0)
Old 01-06-2003, 09:48 PM
Snooze

s.com...
wrote:

...and just like clockwork, the first Japanese beetle found. He or she
is now swimming the swim of the peaceful.

I call that "floating."

:0)

Floating in a pool of raid? My favorite is the superman beetle or roach that
can continue to walk about, despite leaving a trail of foaming raid behind
it.

Sameer

Old 02-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Shiva

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 20:44:28 GMT, "Snooze"
wrote:

Floating in a pool of raid?

No, Dave drowns his JB in a bucket. Less toxic, just as lethal.

My favorite is the superman beetle or roach that
can continue to walk about, despite leaving a trail of foaming raid behind
it.

Euuueeww, ICK.

You're a BOY, aren't you?

;0)

Sameer

Old 02-06-2003, 07:08 PM
dave weil

wrote:

Floating in a pool of raid?

No, Dave drowns his JB in a bucket. Less toxic, just as lethal.

Actually a cut glass crystal tumbler in this case with a lethal mix of
water and Dawn dishwashing liquid.

My favorite is the superman beetle or roach that
can continue to walk about, despite leaving a trail of foaming raid behind
it.

Euuueeww, ICK.

You're a BOY, aren't you?

;0)

Sameer

Either that or that little bespeckled girl on the Comcast commercial
who's into bugs (you know the one - "This is the thorax". 'I'm veeeery
passsssssionate").

So far, I've only found 2 Japanese beetles. The grub treatment seems
to have worked so far, as I remember being totally infested from day
one. I expect to see more from the neighborhood though as time goes
on. I *do* know that I had grubs everywhere I used to dig, so,
hopefully, I've put a dent in the population.

Speaking of Ingrid Bergman g, I finally have my first bloom from the
transplanted bush. It's only about half sized, but it's perfectly
formed. The bloom is well-scented as well (was it Daniel who said that
IB wasn't very scented for him)?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...manJune2nd.jpg

The thing that I absolutely love about this rose, other than the scent
and the nice form, is the rich velvet texture. It really does resemble
red velvet.

And we were talking about ugly blooms recently, right? How about
Shiva's fav - Don Juan, which currently is boasting one of the
fugliest blooms ever (it *never* looked good after unfurling but it's
reached a new nadir in past few days)...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/UglyDonJuan.jpg

Just thought I'd share chuckle

I'm sure that this is just an aberration, but still...

Finally, my favorite shot from my DC trip, taken from a BMW Z3 going
70 miles an hour somewhere in Virginia, may I present my friend Mark
(Easy Rider) L.:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Laz.jpg

Gotta love that image stabilized lens of Canon's...

Old 03-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Scopata Fuori

Actually a cut glass crystal tumbler in this case with a lethal mix of
water and Dawn dishwashing liquid.

Ick. I would assume you assign this particular piece of drinkware to...shall
we say...the less favored guest.

Heh.

Scopata Fuori

ObRoses: Cl. White Dawn looks like a glossy green gardenia factory.

Old 03-06-2003, 04:32 AM
dave weil

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 21:43:39 -0400, "Scopata Fuori"
wrote:

Actually a cut glass crystal tumbler in this case with a lethal mix of
water and Dawn dishwashing liquid.

Ick. I would assume you assign this particular piece of drinkware to...shall
we say...the less favored guest.

At the moment, yes. It was handy.

Don't worry though - I'll wash it before I offer it to another guest.

Heh.

Heh, yourself...

Old 03-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Snooze

s.com...
wrote:

My favorite is the superman beetle or roach that
can continue to walk about, despite leaving a trail of foaming raid

behind
it.

Euuueeww, ICK.

You're a BOY, aren't you?

Yes, yes I am!

My parents own a gas station, and in the spring we have to spray insecticide
around the perimeter of the cashier's booth, otherwise the ants invade in
search of the crumbs and spilled sugar around the snacks and coffee machine.

This spring I was spraying, when a huge fly, larger then normal house flies
landed on a junction box, so I sprayed it with a squirt of malathion, except
this fly was related to the superman beetle and roaches. The liquid weighed
it down so it couldn't fly about, so it just walked about the junction box.
I waited 5-10 minutes, the fly was still alive, and walking about. So I
sprayed it until the entire box was covered in pesticide and it was now
upside down with its legs waving about.

About an hour later it was still alive, although barely. Finally I got
bored, brushed it off the box, where it met my shoe.

Sameer

Old 03-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Scopata Fuori

About an hour later it was still alive, although barely. Finally I got
bored, brushed it off the box, where it met my shoe.

Sameer

Supposedly, you can drown a housefly until he appears lifeless, then
completely bury him a dish of table salt, and within a few minutes, he will
revive and dig himself out, to fly away unscathed.

ObRoses: No Japanese beetles yet, but I'm waiting for them, with a fresh can
of oil to drown them in. I read that you have to burn the corpses, because
if you just put them in the trash or bury them in a hole, the eggs in the
female's bodies will survive and hatch out, exacerbating the problem. I can
imagine them popping in the fire like popcorn.

Old 04-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Susan H. Simko

Scopata Fuori wrote:

ObRoses: No Japanese beetles yet, but I'm waiting for them, with a fresh can
of oil to drown them in. I read that you have to burn the corpses, because
if you just put them in the trash or bury them in a hole, the eggs in the
female's bodies will survive and hatch out, exacerbating the problem. I can
imagine them popping in the fire like popcorn.

I thought I saw my first the other day but am praying I didn't. I
really hate the start of JB season. I think the prolonged cool weather
and rain has delayed the start down here in NC's zone 7B.

As to the eggs hatching and surviving, I don't care. I spread milky
spore last year and in putting in a new flower bed over the weekend, I
encountered a few JB larva, all with the telltale milky white colour of
spore infection. *grin* I will continue dumping 'em in a ziplock bag
of soapy water which I seal and toss in the garbage can when I'm done or
mashing 'em on the ground. They make such a satisfying snap.

I'm also planning on continuing my campaign of getting my neighbors to
put milky spore down also.

Susan
shimko at duke dot edu

Old 06-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Andy

"Scopata Fuori" wrote in message

About an hour later it was still alive, although barely. Finally I got
bored, brushed it off the box, where it met my shoe.

Sameer

Supposedly, you can drown a housefly until he appears lifeless, then
completely bury him a dish of table salt, and within a few minutes, he

will
revive and dig himself out, to fly away unscathed.

I have to wonder who in his right mind took the time to figure this out lol

Old 08-06-2003, 04:56 AM
Scopata Fuori

Supposedly, you can drown a housefly until he appears lifeless, then
completely bury him a dish of table salt, and within a few minutes, he

will
revive and dig himself out, to fly away unscathed.

I have to wonder who in his right mind took the time to figure this out

lol

My ex- was a commercial fisherman. On the long haul out to sea, to the
fishing grounds, the guys had nothing more intellectually stimulating to
think to do, than come up with stuff like that.

Glad he's an EX.

Scopata Fuori

1st comma Annabel United Kingdom 16 29-03-2003 11:44 AM
For Auction on Ebay- "Flora of Australia" Complete set from 1st release to 1989 Paul Wilson Plant Biology 0 27-03-2003 10:56 PM
For Auction on Ebay "Flora of Australia" Complete Set From 1st release to 1989 Paul Wilson Plant Science 0 27-03-2003 02:08 AM
1st lacewing Annabel United Kingdom 0 24-03-2003 10:44 AM
1st season tree watering Ian Cundell United Kingdom 5 19-03-2003 10:44 PM