Old 06-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Alice Gless

Default Please can someone ID this rose (link to pic inside)

Unique Too wrote:

Alice Gless writes:

Only have a couple left but I am wanting to try to propagate some Father
Hugo's roses and some other old ones I find. I'll just have to take my
chances on mites and the like.

If you want to keep the multiflora then at least read up on rose rosette
disease at this site:

I'll keep it for now and thanks for the link. I thought I spotted some of these
same roses, or a variant, growing in the yard of a rather upscale home not too far
from me.

http://web.ntown.net/~apeck/index.htm

That way you'll know what to look for if the disease appears on either your
roses or the wild mutiflora. IIRC Iowa is one the states who purposely spread
the mites in order to control the multiflora plants,

I wish they wouldn't have done that. They ruined the ladybugs around here, too,
by bringing in more efficient foreign bugs.

I'll proceed with caution. I don't have much in the way of roses at the moment
and only want to have a few of the older ones.

so your chances are
greater of contracting the disease than those in other locations.

Julie

Old 06-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Andy

Is this also called the Cherokee Rose?

"Alice Gless" wrote in message
Hi,

Just popped in here to see if anybody could help me ID this unusual (to
me) rose. I thought they were raspberries and when I went back to
photograph them, I found out they were roses just growing wild. They
are just so charming I went back and took some cuttings.

http://home.earthlink.net/~agless/White_Roses.jpg

Would appreciate any help here or reference to a library book I could
consult.

Old 06-06-2003, 06:20 PM
dave weil

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 16:41:48 GMT, "Andy"
wrote:

Is this also called the Cherokee Rose?

Nope. It looks a little similar but it's not the same thing. For one
thing, it doesn't cluster quite as much, I don't think.

Here's Cherokee Rose:

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=1124

Old 06-06-2003, 07:56 PM
J. Del Col

"Theo Asir" wrote in message news:05fd504b5cf2a0bac132c67ffc9b0f41@TeraNews.. .
"Cass" wrote in message
.. .
In article 3ff04e712c0d7fd411a85483bcc0fd43@TeraNews, Theo Asir
wrote:

be rosa multiflora, which is an invasive species rose in much of the
eastern and central US. Here is a link to the HelpMeFind page on rosa

I disagree on the invasive term. Its got a bad
rap from farmers who can't look after
their fields properly. While it does have a million
seeds fairly regular haying usually dealls with that problem.

Then you haven't been in Pennsylvania in the end of May. Everywhere you
look, you will see multiflora blooming: by the side of the expressway,
in every vacant lot, in everyone's back yard, next to every parking
lot. It is the epitomy of invasive there.

Its all space thats not getting looked after anyway.

Oh really? R. multiflora is classified as a noxious weed here in WV.
It is spread by birds and takes over mountain pastures at an incredible rate,
rendering them unsuitable for grazing.

It is highly invasive. I destroy it whenever it shows up.

J. Del Col