Old 04-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Ant

Default ants are eating the rose bud

Hi All

I am having this year something I've never seen befo the ants are eating
the only bud of my Ingrid Bergman. I know ants harvest aphids in roses, in
fact ants are harvesting them in the other nearby bushes (diferent variety)
but on this one, they are actually eating it, there are no remaining aphids
and they burrowed a deep hole on it.
I've checked in the newsgroup that this has happened to more people in the
past, but so far I didn't find an explanation or a remedy.
Anybody has some help?

thanks
Antonio
Old 04-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Shiva

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:22:16 +0200, Ant
wrote:

Hi All

I am having this year something I've never seen befo the ants are eating
the only bud of my Ingrid Bergman. I know ants harvest aphids in roses, in
fact ants are harvesting them in the other nearby bushes (diferent variety)
but on this one, they are actually eating it, there are no remaining aphids
and they burrowed a deep hole on it.
I've checked in the newsgroup that this has happened to more people in the
past, but so far I didn't find an explanation or a remedy.

I have never seen this, but I'm willing to bet that if you get rid of
your aphids the ants will go away.
Anybody has some help?

thanks
Antonio

Old 04-06-2003, 11:56 PM
A Ranada Shaw

There are no aphids! the ants are eating the rose bud, is not about the
aphids, there are none. I am not a professional gardener, neither an
entomologist, but those ants are eating the rose bud, or if you prefer,
chopping it into tiny bits and taking the bits somewhere.
That was my most precious rose.....

Ant

Old 05-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Shiva

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 23:50:27 +0200, A Ranada Shaw
wrote:

There are no aphids! the ants are eating the rose bud, is not about the
aphids, there are none. I am not a professional gardener, neither an
entomologist, but those ants are eating the rose bud, or if you prefer,
chopping it into tiny bits and taking the bits somewhere.
That was my most precious rose.....

Oh. I'm so sorry. Wish I knew something that could help you. I believe
I would have already been out there with bug spray, but obviously that
is not a route you want to take.

Ant

Old 05-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Cass

In article , A Ranada Shaw
wrote:

There are no aphids! the ants are eating the rose bud, is not about the
aphids, there are none. I am not a professional gardener, neither an
entomologist, but those ants are eating the rose bud, or if you prefer,
chopping it into tiny bits and taking the bits somewhere.
That was my most precious rose.....

Can you find the trail up the rose cane? I use vaseline to stop the
ants from bothering the hummingbirds by swarming all over the nectar in
the hummingbird feeder. I put a big gross gob of vaseline petroleum
jelly around the hanger. Maybe you can find the ants' approach to your
rose and make a mote of vaseline.

There is a product called Tanglefoot that works on the same principle
and is specifically designed for insects in the garden. Here is the
website:

http://www.tanglefoot.com/pests.htm#ants

Old 05-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Ant

I've tried several sprays, they leave, but after a while the ants are back,
maybe I'm not using the right spray. I'm wondering what will happen if I
cut it, after all the rose is already gone.

Ant

Old 05-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Ant

Good idea, I'll try that too. thanks
Ant

Old 05-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Snooze

Leafcutter ants? But I thought those were only in south america? Or it could
be carpenter ants? If it's carpenter ants, nuke them quickly, because if
they decide they like the lumber in your house instead it's bad news.

http://list.realestate.yahoo.com/rei.../carpants.html

See that url to get an example of what they look like.

Sameer