Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 04-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Ant
 
Posts: n/a
Default ants are eating the rose bud

Hi All

I am having this year something I've never seen befo the ants are eating
the only bud of my Ingrid Bergman. I know ants harvest aphids in roses, in
fact ants are harvesting them in the other nearby bushes (diferent variety)
but on this one, they are actually eating it, there are no remaining aphids
and they burrowed a deep hole on it.
I've checked in the newsgroup that this has happened to more people in the
past, but so far I didn't find an explanation or a remedy.
Anybody has some help?

thanks
Antonio

  #2   Report Post  
Old 04-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Shiva
 
Posts: n/a
Default ants are eating the rose bud

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:22:16 +0200, Ant
wrote:

Hi All

I am having this year something I've never seen befo the ants are eating
the only bud of my Ingrid Bergman. I know ants harvest aphids in roses, in
fact ants are harvesting them in the other nearby bushes (diferent variety)
but on this one, they are actually eating it, there are no remaining aphids
and they burrowed a deep hole on it.
I've checked in the newsgroup that this has happened to more people in the
past, but so far I didn't find an explanation or a remedy.


I have never seen this, but I'm willing to bet that if you get rid of
your aphids the ants will go away.
Anybody has some help?

thanks
Antonio


  #3   Report Post  
Old 04-06-2003, 10:56 PM
A Ranada Shaw
 
Posts: n/a
Default ants are eating the rose bud

There are no aphids! the ants are eating the rose bud, is not about the
aphids, there are none. I am not a professional gardener, neither an
entomologist, but those ants are eating the rose bud, or if you prefer,
chopping it into tiny bits and taking the bits somewhere.
That was my most precious rose.....

Ant

Shiva wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:22:16 +0200, Ant
wrote:


Hi All

I am having this year something I've never seen befo the ants are eating
the only bud of my Ingrid Bergman. I know ants harvest aphids in roses, in
fact ants are harvesting them in the other nearby bushes (diferent variety)
but on this one, they are actually eating it, there are no remaining aphids
and they burrowed a deep hole on it.
I've checked in the newsgroup that this has happened to more people in the
past, but so far I didn't find an explanation or a remedy.



I have never seen this, but I'm willing to bet that if you get rid of
your aphids the ants will go away.

Anybody has some help?

thanks
Antonio




  #4   Report Post  
Old 04-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Shiva
 
Posts: n/a
Default ants are eating the rose bud

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 23:50:27 +0200, A Ranada Shaw
wrote:

There are no aphids! the ants are eating the rose bud, is not about the
aphids, there are none. I am not a professional gardener, neither an
entomologist, but those ants are eating the rose bud, or if you prefer,
chopping it into tiny bits and taking the bits somewhere.
That was my most precious rose.....


Oh. I'm so sorry. Wish I knew something that could help you. I believe
I would have already been out there with bug spray, but obviously that
is not a route you want to take.

Ant

Shiva wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:22:16 +0200, Ant
wrote:


Hi All

I am having this year something I've never seen befo the ants are eating
the only bud of my Ingrid Bergman. I know ants harvest aphids in roses, in
fact ants are harvesting them in the other nearby bushes (diferent variety)
but on this one, they are actually eating it, there are no remaining aphids
and they burrowed a deep hole on it.
I've checked in the newsgroup that this has happened to more people in the
past, but so far I didn't find an explanation or a remedy.



I have never seen this, but I'm willing to bet that if you get rid of
your aphids the ants will go away.

Anybody has some help?

thanks
Antonio





  #5   Report Post  
Old 05-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Cass
 
Posts: n/a
Default ants are eating the rose bud

In article , A Ranada Shaw
wrote:

There are no aphids! the ants are eating the rose bud, is not about the
aphids, there are none. I am not a professional gardener, neither an
entomologist, but those ants are eating the rose bud, or if you prefer,
chopping it into tiny bits and taking the bits somewhere.
That was my most precious rose.....


Can you find the trail up the rose cane? I use vaseline to stop the
ants from bothering the hummingbirds by swarming all over the nectar in
the hummingbird feeder. I put a big gross gob of vaseline petroleum
jelly around the hanger. Maybe you can find the ants' approach to your
rose and make a mote of vaseline.

There is a product called Tanglefoot that works on the same principle
and is specifically designed for insects in the garden. Here is the
website:

http://www.tanglefoot.com/pests.htm#ants


  #6   Report Post  
Old 05-06-2003, 08:44 AM
Ant
 
Posts: n/a
Default ants are eating the rose bud

I've tried several sprays, they leave, but after a while the ants are back,
maybe I'm not using the right spray. I'm wondering what will happen if I
cut it, after all the rose is already gone.

Ant

Shiva wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 23:50:27 +0200, A Ranada Shaw
wrote:

There are no aphids! the ants are eating the rose bud, is not about the
aphids, there are none. I am not a professional gardener, neither an
entomologist, but those ants are eating the rose bud, or if you prefer,
chopping it into tiny bits and taking the bits somewhere.
That was my most precious rose.....


Oh. I'm so sorry. Wish I knew something that could help you. I believe
I would have already been out there with bug spray, but obviously that
is not a route you want to take.

Ant

Shiva wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:22:16 +0200, Ant
wrote:


Hi All

I am having this year something I've never seen befo the ants are
eating the only bud of my Ingrid Bergman. I know ants harvest aphids in
roses, in fact ants are harvesting them in the other nearby bushes
(diferent variety) but on this one, they are actually eating it, there
are no remaining aphids and they burrowed a deep hole on it.
I've checked in the newsgroup that this has happened to more people in
the past, but so far I didn't find an explanation or a remedy.


I have never seen this, but I'm willing to bet that if you get rid of
your aphids the ants will go away.

Anybody has some help?

thanks
Antonio






  #7   Report Post  
Old 05-06-2003, 08:44 AM
Ant
 
Posts: n/a
Default ants are eating the rose bud

Good idea, I'll try that too. thanks
Ant

Cass wrote:

In article , A Ranada Shaw
wrote:

There are no aphids! the ants are eating the rose bud, is not about the
aphids, there are none. I am not a professional gardener, neither an
entomologist, but those ants are eating the rose bud, or if you prefer,
chopping it into tiny bits and taking the bits somewhere.
That was my most precious rose.....


Can you find the trail up the rose cane? I use vaseline to stop the
ants from bothering the hummingbirds by swarming all over the nectar in
the hummingbird feeder. I put a big gross gob of vaseline petroleum
jelly around the hanger. Maybe you can find the ants' approach to your
rose and make a mote of vaseline.

There is a product called Tanglefoot that works on the same principle
and is specifically designed for insects in the garden. Here is the
website:

http://www.tanglefoot.com/pests.htm#ants


  #8   Report Post  
Old 05-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Snooze
 
Posts: n/a
Default ants are eating the rose bud

Leafcutter ants? But I thought those were only in south america? Or it could
be carpenter ants? If it's carpenter ants, nuke them quickly, because if
they decide they like the lumber in your house instead it's bad news.

http://list.realestate.yahoo.com/rei.../carpants.html

See that url to get an example of what they look like.

Sameer

"Ant" wrote in message
...
Hi All

I am having this year something I've never seen befo the ants are

eating
the only bud of my Ingrid Bergman. I know ants harvest aphids in roses, in
fact ants are harvesting them in the other nearby bushes (diferent

variety)
but on this one, they are actually eating it, there are no remaining

aphids
and they burrowed a deep hole on it.
I've checked in the newsgroup that this has happened to more people in the
past, but so far I didn't find an explanation or a remedy.
Anybody has some help?

thanks
Antonio





Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
Ants eating my strawberries Victoria Clare United Kingdom 0 29-05-2003 10:32 AM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017