Old 07-06-2003, 05:22 AM
Jeffrey J. Potoff

Default Roses I Love To Hate And The People Who Love Them

Andy wrote:
Yes, Jeffrey, it IS okay to hate a rose.

Well, this is where my amature status comes to the forefront. I can
honestly say that there is not a single rose that I do not like. Yes I have
my favorites. And yes, some have been named in this thread. But the fact
is, that to me, each one has something different to offer.
I am a sucker for bi-colors and tri-colors. Yet a Mister Lincoln or
Gold Marie can still take my breath away. I love the old fasioned smelling
varities as well, but even the soft or lightly smelling varieties can be
just as nice when grouped.
And I watch my plants suffer from black spot, balling, aphids, and
powdery mildew and do my best to control them. Proliferation? My miniture
Candy tuff is going through the same right now. But they are still there
and still blooming.
Like I said, to me, there is no ugly rose, some are just prettier nd
better smelling than others.

Nah, there are ugly roses. They just start grating on you until
finally you can't take it anymore. Then out comes the shovel.
Muuuuuwwwwwaaaahhhhhhaaaaaaahhhhhhaaaa!

J.

Old 07-06-2003, 08:56 AM
lms

In article , lid
says...

Here's another "good" example of how bad the wet (calling this spring
damp is like calling Bill Gates well off) and bot can make a rose look
(the first two pictures on the page - click for larger view). This is
Johann Strauss.

http://www.dotrose.com/whatsinbloom/20030606.php

damp/water will sure do it to some but a rose prone to doing this may or may
not need any moisture to do it. and a rose prone to doing this might not ball
if it gets wet during the process of blooming. It's all dependent on the
prevailing general heat and humidity and each rose variety's unique window of
opportunity, and if that's generally favorable, a little water won't cause this
reaction. I have a bush full of balled Mme. Caroline Testout, an old
Hybrid Tea and Yves Piaget is currently in that mode and just starting to
come out of it--the humidity is rising and there are some really fat groups
of buds that I can tell from long experience ain gon be having that problem.

Old 08-06-2003, 06:44 AM
lms

In article , says...

HA, HA, HA! Nice Post,

have you seen those ford bumper stickers with the little tyke ****ing on a
chevy?

Old 08-06-2003, 03:20 PM
dave weil

On 7 Jun 2003 23:46:15 -0500, (lms) wrote:

In article ,
says...

HA, HA, HA! Nice Post,

have you seen those ford bumper stickers with the little tyke ****ing on a
chevy?

That would be Calvin.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:32 PM
dave weil

On 8 Jun 2003 09:27:47 -0500, (lms) wrote:

In article ,

says...

On 7 Jun 2003 23:46:15 -0500,
(lms) wrote:

In article ,
says...

HA, HA, HA! Nice Post,

have you seen those ford bumper stickers with the little tyke ****ing on a
chevy?

That would be Calvin.

hahahaha. I have a ford one for my chevy and a chevy one for my ford.
no I don't, those bumperstickers disgust me. another one struck me funny
the other day, 'Praise The Lard.' A friend of mine drives a 64 VW, he has
one that says 'This is not an abandoned vehicle.' It just did Nicaragua and
back.

You might want to check your site as some of those photos that I said
had broken links are *still* showing this message:

Broken Link
You have encountered a dead link or another problem with this NRAO web
server. Please submit a short bug report including the URL that caused
this error to show up.

Note: If you want feedback about this problem, you have to enter your
email address as well. According to our privacy policy, your email
address will only be used to address this problem. Thanks.

Your browser:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; YComp 5.0.2.6)

Bad URL:
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Toc98c.jpg

Referring URL:
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/

Your email address (if you want a response):

Comments (optional):

This is the section from around Touch of Class on down.

Here's a partial list:

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Fragcl.jpg
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Sweetbig.jpg
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/safrulia.jpg
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/summerfa.jpg
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Bewitcht.jpg
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Mitsouk8.jpg
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/mystery.jpg
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~malfero/Scendort.jpg

So, you might want to check your pages out.

Old 08-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Shiva

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 07:30:48 -0400, Henry
wrote:

Shiva wrote:
This is thee rose that taught me that the only thing worse than an
ugly rose is a PROLIFIC, VIGOROUS ugly rose.

... with no scent.

--

Yet another prime selling point! g I take it you once grew this dog?

Old 08-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Shiva

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 08:32:38 -0400, Henry
wrote:

Here's another "good" example of how bad the wet (calling this spring
damp is like calling Bill Gates well off) and bot can make a rose look
(the first two pictures on the page - click for larger view). This is
Johann Strauss.

http://www.dotrose.com/whatsinbloom/20030606.php

Ooo. Sad. Mine have been drowning too. It's a great time to be a cut
rose person. Soon as I see a spot of color emerge I'm out there
snipping. Unfortunately, there are many I cannot see unless I hunt for
them. I have the saddest looking bed of baby ownroot Austins in the
world--soggy brown petals, heads nodding into the dirt. I'm trying to
grow them on a fence, but I think maybe they need obelisks to get them
started, or to just keep them from eating dirt in all this rain!
Lowe's has a nice 3.5 foot black one for $25. I'm growing tradescant
on it.

--
Henry

Old 08-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Shiva

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 11:23:35 +0100, Jane Lumley
wrote:

In article m, Shiva
writes
This thread is just for Jeffrey. Thanks for reminding me that it is
PERFECTLY FINE to like what we like and dislike what we dislike JUST
BECAUSE.

Not only hideous, but, as you say, obese.

Now, now, Jane, don't poke fun at the afflicted! G

I also hate Super Star, the
ubiquitous Compassion,

Hmm. Care to elaborate? I've thought about Compassion. Granted, you
don't like hybrid teas so much from your other posts, but what is it
about this one you particularly dislike? It gets some good press!

and the dreadful Grandpa Dickson - what a shape!

What shape is it?

My pet hate just now is the ghastly rhapsody in Blue, top rose in the UK
- and hideous, and not blue but a kind of stark purple. I can never
understand the quest for a blue rose.

Me either but purple is a different story. Are you saying that R.I.B
is actually a pure PURPLE? I have been searching for the perfect
purple rose since I first planted Lagerfeld because it was the closest
thing to purple at the garden center. If so, is it just the color you
hate?

However, I can't agree about Penelope - she seems divine to me,
delicate, dainty, fragile, like eighteenth-century porcelain. She
doesn't suggest azaleas to me either, but old ramblers like Rambling
Rector (mine is juuuust out now - what a sight and what a scent).
--
Jane Lumley

*Sigh* Yes, Jane, I am just not subtle enough to appreciate Penelope.
Seriously. We all have our down sides.

Point still being, it's perfectly okay to like what you like and hate
what you hate. No need to get personal or upset, certainly not
venomous about our differences. There is room for every point of view
here, as there should be.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Shiva

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 17:11:24 GMT, "Andy"
wrote:

I am a sucker for bi-colors and tri-colors.

Now you're speaking my language. What have you got?

Some nice ones:

Granada, Sheila's Perfume, Gold Medal, Circus, Heart of Gold, Arizona,
and, in the odd category, Distant Drums. This is the neatest rose!!
Great shrubby shape, great fragrance. I have three.

Old 08-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Shiva

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 01:43:35 GMT, "Jeffrey J. Potoff"
wrote:

Nah, there are ugly roses. They just start grating on you until
finally you can't take it anymore. Then out comes the shovel.
Muuuuuwwwwwaaaahhhhhhaaaaaaahhhhhhaaaa!

J.

There really is something satisfying about it, isn't there? Here is
who I am currently eyeing with malicious intent:

Reine des Violettes--really small blooms, that odd "fountain" hybrid
perpetual shape, in its third year and wayyyyy ho hum.

Tineke--just not a major bloomer, blooms have no fragrance, form is
lacking.

Nicole--this floribunda gets BIG, even on its own roots. No scent,
pretty blossoms but a big ungainly shape and very thorny.

George Burns--man, I want to like this rose, really I do. It has had
four years, so it's time for a decision. The blooms are graceless.
Lots of perky short petals. Just not pretty, to me.

Old 08-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Jane Lumley

Not only hideous, but, as you say, obese.

Now, now, Jane, don't poke fun at the afflicted! G

I am guilty of incorrectness here.

I also hate Super Star, the
ubiquitous Compassion,

Hmm. Care to elaborate? I've thought about Compassion. Granted, you
don't like hybrid teas so much from your other posts, but what is it
about this one you particularly dislike? It gets some good press!

I'm sick of it. You see it everywhere. and it's quite dull, actually -
orangey, and no, I don't like many HTs (actually ido like a few).

and the dreadful Grandpa Dickson - what a shape!

Pointy. The petals, that is. Spidery.

My pet hate just now is the ghastly rhapsody in Blue, top rose in the UK
- and hideous, and not blue but a kind of stark purple. I can never
understand the quest for a blue rose.

Me either but purple is a different story. Are you saying that R.I.B
is actually a pure PURPLE? I have been searching for the perfect
purple rose since I first planted Lagerfeld because it was the closest
thing to purple at the garden center. If so, is it just the color you
hate?

I'd say from the specimen I saw at Chelsea that it's just about the same
shade as Cardinal Richelieu after three or four days on the bush. But
it's more saturated. Don't like the shape either, or the scent.

h to appreciate Penelope.
Seriously. We all have our down sides.

Gee, I never said that, or thought it. Just my 0.02c that she's lovely,
and an attempt to say a bit about why.

There is room for every point of view
here, as there should be.

No venom meant. Sorry if some was felt.

--
Jane Lumley
Old 08-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Shiva

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 20:51:33 +0100, Jane Lumley
wrote:

Not only hideous, but, as you say, obese.

Now, now, Jane, don't poke fun at the afflicted! G

I am guilty of incorrectness here.

Into the stocks with you!

compassion

I'm sick of it. You see it everywhere.

I know the feeling. Knockout is like that here. Anyone who goes to the
grocery, drug store, dentist or doctor's office is an instant expert
on the thing. It must be in every office park/retail center around.

and it's quite dull, actually -
orangey, and no, I don't like many HTs (actually ido like a few).

Which ones? Inquiring minds, you know!

and the dreadful Grandpa Dickson - what a shape!

Pointy. The petals, that is. Spidery.

I hate that.

About Rhapsody in Blue:

I'd say from the specimen I saw at Chelsea that it's just about the same
shade as Cardinal Richelieu after three or four days on the bush. But
it's more saturated. Don't like the shape either, or the scent.

Hmm. Never saw the Cardinal. Maybe two more to add to this year's
list.

h to appreciate Penelope.
Seriously. We all have our down sides.

Gee, I never said that, or thought it. Just my 0.02c that she's lovely,
and an attempt to say a bit about why.

No, no, actually *I* said it! In response to someone's very astute
observations about the subtle attributes of Penelope. I freely admit
it. I can't do math, either!

There is room for every point of view
here, as there should be.

No venom meant. Sorry if some was felt.

None was felt at all! We agree. You answered the post in the spirit in
which I made it--that there is room for all opinions.

--
Jane Lumley

Old 09-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Theo Asir

Hmm. Care to elaborate? I've thought about Compassion. Granted, you
don't like hybrid teas so much from your other posts, but what is it
about this one you particularly dislike? It gets some good press!

I'm sick of it. You see it everywhere. and it's quite dull, actually -
orangey, and no, I don't like many HTs (actually ido like a few).

Yah! Compassion is not particularly distinctive
or even very refined.

It main selling point in my book
is its incredible toughness for a HT.

Absolutely cold tolerant, never any disease,
drought tolerant, looks after itself rose.

Has scent too.

How many HT's can say that.

Right now my pet hates are Knock out
& Double delight.

Where did all the press for knock out come from?
The only thing I like is that most nuseries
sell it own root. So the good Doctor Huey
is finally gonna have some competition.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 09-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Jane Lumley

and it's quite dull, actually -
orangey, and no, I don't like many HTs (actually ido like a few).

Which ones? Inquiring minds, you know!

Well, now you've asked....

Mme Gregoire Staechlin, aka Spanish Beauty - very tough and vigorous,
too, but the flowers are really worth having, and she also does fine
hips.
Off the top of my head:

Anna Pavlova
Lady Mary Fitzwilliam
Ophelia

I'd say from the specimen I saw at Chelsea that it's just about the same
shade as Cardinal Richelieu after three or four days on the bush. But
it's more saturated. Don't like the shape either, or the scent.

Hmm. Never saw the Cardinal. Maybe two more to add to this year's
list.

He's a darling. Dark sinister red, blood-of-the-vampire red, maturing
in flower to Gothic purple, and refluxing to almost ball shape. Ideal
for the Goth Garden. He's a Gallica, of course.

Glad I didn't cause needless offence - thank you for your reassurances,
--
Jane Lumley