Old 13-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Rose

Default Starting a new climbing rosebush

(Shiva) wrote in message ws.com...
Rose wrote:

The original poster asked:

I hope someone here can help me. We have, in the family, an
80-year-old climbing rosebush that my grandfather had started. I've
tried several times, using various methods in books, to get new plants
started from it but I can't seem to get them to root. Does anyone
have a method that would work for a "non-gardener"?

Then Henry said:

An easy way, particularly on a climber and when you have "long-term"
access to the rose (as it sounds like you do) is to "layer" the rose.
The trick here is to get the rose to root a stem without cutting the
stem off first. Take a cane and lie it down on the ground. With your
thumbnail, score the cane over a short bit, a couple inches should work
fine. Bury that scored section of the cane in the ground or in a pot
and hold it down with a rock or bamboo canes bent back on themselves.
It needs to be well buried, say three or four inches. Keep the are
watered as you do the rest of the garden. If it dries out, particularly
after roots have started forming, they will die and you'll have to start
over. If you have rooting hormone, you can use that but since there's
less rush with this method, it's not really necessary. Just let it stay
like that and eventually, you will have another plant. Wait at least
two months before checking for roots. Cut the stem below where you
buried it (on the side towards the "mother plant") and dig it up.

Henry, this is the first propagation method that actually sounds
attractive enough that I want to try it. Have you done this much, and
what sort of results have you had?

With more rigid roses, air layering is an option. In this case, you
wrap the area where you want roots to grow in wet sphagnum moss and then
with plastic.

I've seen this, and it looks more complicate, but still better than
budding.

By the way, your posts do not show up in teranews, so I miss a lot of
them. Cotse has been down lately and I hate reading in OE.

I didn't get Henry's post either. He's probably using the
No-Archive-X at the top of the post. Is it complete here or have I
missed something?

Rose
Old 14-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Cass

In article , Rose
wrote:

Thanks, Cass! I'll print this out and give it a try.

Question, If I take the sucker with roots, should I wait until after
the plant stops blooming?

No, grab one any time you can, the sooner the better. You need to get
crackin' before winter. But don't leave blooms on the part you take.
Flowers are supposed to require a lot of moisture, and you're going to
put enough stress on this little sucker.

Cass wrote in message
. ..
In article , Rose
wrote:

Cass wrote in message
. ..
In article , Rose
wrote:

I hope someone here can help me. We have, in the family, an
80-year-old climbing rosebush that my grandfather had started. I've
tried several times, using various methods in books, to get new plants
started from it but I can't seem to get them to root. Does anyone
have a method that would work for a "non-gardener"?

Many thanks in advance.

Rose (yes, that really is my name :-)

What part of the country are you in, Rose? And what does this rose look
like?

I live in Zone 5, near South Bend, IN. The rosebush has no name - I'm
not sure if my grandfather made a hybrid (he was trained in
agriculture) or this is simply a kind of old-fashioned bush. I'll see
if I can find a picture close to it out here on the internet. I'm
betting it's some kind of an old-fashioned though. The roses are
hot/deep pink in color with yellow centers and the blooms can get as
large as a luncheon-sized plate. They open completely. They do smell
wonderful and that scent carries on the wind for quite a distance.
Her neighbors have told her how much they enjoy smelling it. Right
now the bush is huge. My sister thinks there are more than 500
blossoms on this bush. It is literally starting to cover a good part
of the back of her house.

There are a number of ways to convince a rose to propagate, from taking
cuttings in all different seasons (spring, late summer, mid-winter),
rooting in different media (sand, garden soil, oasis), or even digging
up a sucker with roots, effectively dividing up the rose.

I'm willing to try anything. Grandpa had made a bush for each of his
three daughters but the other two died. This is the only one left.

I'm also wondering about planting soil. I live not too far from a
creek (about 500 yards) and the soil around me is a clay composition.
How should I amend the soil for planting the shoots?

Are you talking about digging up a sucker, with roots? I would go to a
local plant nursery and mooch a free 5 gallon pot. Fill it with the
most extravagant soil you can concoct. Your native clay is probably
rich, if it's from a creekbed. Lighten it with compost or soil
amendment so that it drains easily. That can take up to a 50 - 50
blend. Dig up a cane from as far from the plant as possible. That way
it is most likely to have a few feeder roots. It is probably attached
to the mother plant by a big, thick, woody root. Take as much of that
root as you can possibly fit in the pot. Cut the top off the cane,
leaving it about a foot long. Bury it in the pot deep - as deep as
possible and still leaving about 4 bud eyes above the soil. Put this
pot out in the full sun -- but you have to do something very important:
you need to spritz the can with water twice a day and more if you think
about it. You can cover it with a clear or milky liter soda bottle
with the bottom cut off, making a miniature greenhouse. This is not
necessary, probably, given your humidities. It works well in off
seasons to gather heat. Don't apply fertilizer at all during this
process.

Then wait. Wait until after you see not only leaves but new stems about
3 inches long. It can take several months. It can take a really long
time. That when you have a new rose, especially if you see little white
feeder roots coming out of the drain holes. You should put it in the
ground by August, with any luck. And you might need to give it some
winter protection this winter.

You should also probably try alternative methods of taking softwood
cuttings from this bloom cycle. Read about it at the American Rose
Society website - ars.org I like the oasis method. Choose stems that
have flowered and are about as big around as a cheap Papermate pen -
even a little smaller. Trim off the flowers and keep only about 5 or 10
leaves - and cut those in half. The stems should be about 6 to 10
inches long, with two or three growth nodes in the oasis and at least
two above the oasis. You can get oasis at hardware stores or crafts
stores. Keep the cutting out of direct light and keep the cutting
sprtized. Mine is in the kitchen and I douse it every time I think
about it. When you see roots growing out of the oasis, put the whole
plant, oasis and all, in a 1 gallon pot of good soil. Don't rely on top
growth - it's roots you want. Read the article at the rose site for
details. It with a group about propagation. Here's a cutting in
progress about a month now:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...ages/Oasis.jpg

Don't worry if the leaves fall off. Some roses do that - most, in fact.
As long as the stem is green, you're in business.

I'd also simultaneously try two or three softwood cuttings in that good
garden soil with a soda bottle greenhouse. You need to water it every
day. Some roses won't root in oasis and will take right off in old
garden soil.

This way, you have three shots at propagating the rose. If you have a
summer veggie garden that gets daily water, that is a terrific place to
propagate rose cuttings.

Old 14-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Henry

[[snipage - about layering roses]]

Shiva wrote:
Henry, this is the first propagation method that actually sounds
attractive enough that I want to try it. Have you done this much, and
what sort of results have you had?

I've not done it much but I've had success with it. When I take
cuttings, they tend either to dry out or get infected with fungus and
die (i.e. either not enough or too much water). With this method, you
can pretty much leave them alone and not have to worry about them much.
Since the stem is still being fed from the mother plant, you don't
have to worry about keeping it fed and since it is open to the air, it's
less likely to get moldy. It may take longer but what's the rush?

With more rigid roses, air layering is an option. In this case, you
wrap the area where you want roots to grow in wet sphagnum moss and then
with plastic.

I've seen this, and it looks more complicate, but still better than
budding.

This isn't as hard as it sounds. I'm getting set to do this in the next
week or so. I'll take pictures to try to illustrate the process and
post them on the web.

By the way, your posts do not show up in teranews, so I miss a lot of
them. Cotse has been down lately and I hate reading in OE.

I wondered about that. Posts from home weren't showing up at work and
visa versa. If this one makes it (from home), then I'll know the falt
is at the news server at work. They do seem to show up in google
eventually.

--
Henry

Old 14-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Henry

Then Henry said:

[...]

I think it's my news server at work. Yes, this is the entire post.

--
Henry

Old 16-06-2003, 05:04 PM
Kirra

By the way, your posts do not show up in teranews, so I miss a lot of
them. Cotse has been down lately and I hate reading in OE.

I wondered about that. Posts from home weren't showing up at work and
visa versa. If this one makes it (from home), then I'll know the falt
is at the news server at work. They do seem to show up in google
eventually.

--
Henry

Hi Henry,

Just letting you know that I saw this post (and your other reply) but not
your original post.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
zone 10

Old 16-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Theo Asir

"dave weil" wrote in message
On 16 Jun 2003 08:22:46 -0700, (Rose) wrote:

(Rose) wrote in message

. com...
I hope someone here can help me. We have, in the family, an
80-year-old climbing rosebush that my grandfather had started. I've
tried several times, using various methods in books, to get new plants
started from it but I can't seem to get them to root. Does anyone
have a method that would work for a "non-gardener"?

Many thanks in advance.

Rose (yes, that really is my name :-)

Someone asked about seeing the roses. I managed to get a few digital
pictures with an old digital camera. Hope this helps!

http://www.nd.edu/~jrose1/roses/roses.htm

If this doesn't work, please let me know and let me know what it is or
isn't doing. Thanks!

Rose

Probably American Beauty?

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=192

I concur. It does look amazingly healthy.
My neighbhor purchased one are the movie
and it has been an absolute dog. Disease
after disease. Can't figure it out.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 16-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Unique Too

"Theo Asir" writes:

My neighbhor purchased one are the movie
and it has been an absolute dog. Disease
after disease. Can't figure it out.

Everything I've read on American Beauty mentions it suseptibility to disease
from Blackspot, to powdery mildew, to rust.
Old 16-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Unique Too

In article ,
(Rose) writes:

Someone asked about seeing the roses. I managed to get a few digital
pictures with an old digital camera. Hope this helps!

http://www.nd.edu/~jrose1/roses/roses.htm

I'll agree it looks very similar to American Beauty. Very possible ID. That
rose is still available at several reputable sellers. If you aren't able to
get cuttings rooted you can buy one. It isn't quite the same as having a piece
of your grandfather's plant, but it's better than losing it entirely.

This page lists several places where the rose can be purchased:

http://home.everestkc.net/tasir/imag...e/IMG_0010.JPG

Julie
Old 16-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Theo Asir

"Unique Too" wrote in message
In article ,
(Rose) writes:

Someone asked about seeing the roses. I managed to get a few digital
pictures with an old digital camera. Hope this helps!

http://www.nd.edu/~jrose1/roses/roses.htm

I'll agree it looks very similar to American Beauty. Very possible ID.

That
rose is still available at several reputable sellers. If you aren't able

get cuttings rooted you can buy one. It isn't quite the same as having a

piece
of your grandfather's plant, but it's better than losing it entirely.

This page lists several places where the rose can be purchased:

http://home.everestkc.net/tasir/imag...e/IMG_0010.JPG

Julie

Um! Julie,

Having a bad typo day :-

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 16-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Rose

(Rose) wrote in message . com...
I hope someone here can help me. We have, in the family, an
80-year-old climbing rosebush that my grandfather had started. I've
tried several times, using various methods in books, to get new plants
started from it but I can't seem to get them to root. Does anyone
have a method that would work for a "non-gardener"?

Many thanks in advance.

Rose (yes, that really is my name :-)

Someone asked about seeing the roses. I managed to get a few digital
pictures with an old digital camera. Hope this helps!

http://www.nd.edu/~jrose1/roses/roses.htm

If this doesn't work, please let me know and let me know what it is or
isn't doing. Thanks!

Rose

PS, beautiful rose!

Thanks! Grandpa was very proud of it. He used to take some of the
roses to the county fair and won the grand prize 3 times in a rose.
According to my aunt, he got to told not to bring some to enter the
next time so someone else could win. :-)

Rose
Old 16-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Rose

(Rose) wrote in message . com...
I hope someone here can help me. We have, in the family, an
80-year-old climbing rosebush that my grandfather had started. I've
tried several times, using various methods in books, to get new plants
started from it but I can't seem to get them to root. Does anyone
have a method that would work for a "non-gardener"?

Many thanks in advance.

Rose (yes, that really is my name :-)

Someone asked about seeing the roses. I managed to get a few digital
pictures with an old digital camera. Hope this helps!

http://www.nd.edu/~jrose1/roses/roses.htm

If this doesn't work, please let me know and let me know what it is or
isn't doing. Thanks!

Rose

Probably American Beauty?

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=192

That does look like it. And it does fit with my aunt's recollections.
So, we'll call it the American Beauty rose. I wonder what the
average lifespan of this rose is. Goodness knows this one's been
around a good, long while.

Rose

rosebush has pest - what is it? link to photo someone_else United Kingdom 0 25-07-2008 07:49 PM
Regional rosebush pruning time variations ? Uncle-C United Kingdom 0 22-02-2006 02:59 PM
I reversed over my rosebush Rhiannon Macfie Miller United Kingdom 16 15-03-2005 06:24 PM
hearty rosebush KrisW Roses 1 21-09-2003 11:43 PM
Parched rosebush NBeckm1186 United Kingdom 0 29-06-2003 11:21 PM