Old 16-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Rose

Default Starting a new climbing rosebush

"Theo Asir" wrote in message news:c86fa74cf50fad98085b5ef2a62a3d2c@TeraNews.. .
"dave weil" wrote in message
On 16 Jun 2003 08:22:46 -0700, (Rose) wrote:

(Rose) wrote in message

. com...
I hope someone here can help me. We have, in the family, an
80-year-old climbing rosebush that my grandfather had started. I've
tried several times, using various methods in books, to get new plants
started from it but I can't seem to get them to root. Does anyone
have a method that would work for a "non-gardener"?

Many thanks in advance.

Rose (yes, that really is my name :-)

Someone asked about seeing the roses. I managed to get a few digital
pictures with an old digital camera. Hope this helps!

http://www.nd.edu/~jrose1/roses/roses.htm

If this doesn't work, please let me know and let me know what it is or
isn't doing. Thanks!

Rose

Probably American Beauty?

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=192

I concur. It does look amazingly healthy.
My neighbhor purchased one are the movie
and it has been an absolute dog. Disease
after disease. Can't figure it out.

Wonder if the older ones are more disease resistant than the newer
ones. Of course, this one's seen quite a bit of disease and more but
it loves an east facing. That's something I'll keep in mind as I try
for another rosebush.

Rose
Old 17-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Rose

Cass wrote in message ...
In article , Rose
wrote:

(Rose) wrote in message
. com...
I hope someone here can help me. We have, in the family, an
80-year-old climbing rosebush that my grandfather had started. I've
tried several times, using various methods in books, to get new plants
started from it but I can't seem to get them to root. Does anyone
have a method that would work for a "non-gardener"?

Many thanks in advance.

Rose (yes, that really is my name :-)

Someone asked about seeing the roses. I managed to get a few digital
pictures with an old digital camera. Hope this helps!

http://www.nd.edu/~jrose1/roses/roses.htm

Rose, does this rose repeat or bloom only once in the spring?

This bush does bloom again when the weather turns cooler - say
September/October. But it doesn't bloom as profusely.

And does
it have a rich scent?

Very. It's the classic rose scent. Reminds me of Victorian times.

Rose
Old 17-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Rose

(Unique Too) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Rose) writes:

Someone asked about seeing the roses. I managed to get a few digital
pictures with an old digital camera. Hope this helps!

http://www.nd.edu/~jrose1/roses/roses.htm

I'll agree it looks very similar to American Beauty. Very possible ID. That
rose is still available at several reputable sellers. If you aren't able to
get cuttings rooted you can buy one. It isn't quite the same as having a piece
of your grandfather's plant, but it's better than losing it entirely.

This page lists several places where the rose can be purchased:

http://home.everestkc.net/tasir/imag...e/IMG_0010.JPG

Julie

Thanks for the idea, Julie, but I really wanted it off of Grandpa's.
The pic is nice though but the roses are too light in color.
Grandpa's is a hot pink.

Rose
Old 17-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Unique Too

In article 9672e796bc12168d4e4c00070b4bbe91@TeraNews, "Theo Asir"
writes:

This page lists several places where the rose can be purchased:

http://home.everestkc.net/tasir/imag...e/IMG_0010.JPG

Julie

Um! Julie,

Having a bad typo day :-

Can't even blame that one on a typo, I can't even copy and paste!
Since Rose isn't interested in buying one, I won't bother trying again. Who
knows what I'd post this time.

Old 18-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Rose

writes:

This page lists several places where the rose can be purchased:

http://home.everestkc.net/tasir/imag...e/IMG_0010.JPG

Julie

Um! Julie,

Having a bad typo day :-

Can't even blame that one on a typo, I can't even copy and paste!
Since Rose isn't interested in buying one, I won't bother trying again. Who
knows what I'd post this time.

Julie,

I had a thought. Do you think a local nursery might start a rosebush
for me? Do you or anyone know if any nursery has ever done this kind
of thing and, if so, how much it might cost?

Rose (who just might get on the phone and find out)
Old 18-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Theo Asir

Rose your best bet would be to
contact a local consulting rosarian.
They are usually more than willing
to help at stuff like this. Maybe they can
root a few extra for their raffles.

Nurseries typically produce budded roses
by a long multi year process. These roses
are produced in Texas & Califirnia typically.
They are then shipped around the country.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"Rose" wrote in message
om...

writes:

This page lists several places where the rose can be purchased:

http://home.everestkc.net/tasir/imag...e/IMG_0010.JPG

Julie

Um! Julie,

Having a bad typo day :-

Can't even blame that one on a typo, I can't even copy and paste!
Since Rose isn't interested in buying one, I won't bother trying again.

Who
knows what I'd post this time.

Julie,

I had a thought. Do you think a local nursery might start a rosebush
for me? Do you or anyone know if any nursery has ever done this kind
of thing and, if so, how much it might cost?

Rose (who just might get on the phone and find out)

rosebush has pest - what is it? link to photo someone_else United Kingdom 0 25-07-2008 06:49 PM
Regional rosebush pruning time variations ? Uncle-C United Kingdom 0 22-02-2006 01:59 PM
I reversed over my rosebush Rhiannon Macfie Miller United Kingdom 16 15-03-2005 05:24 PM
hearty rosebush KrisW Roses 1 21-09-2003 10:43 PM
Parched rosebush NBeckm1186 United Kingdom 0 29-06-2003 10:21 PM