Old 13-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Thorny

Default What Have I Got?!

Hey there boys and girls. I have a bush that I thought was a rose, but it
is not sporting any buds. While my other roses have 3-5 leaf clusters, this
has seven on each stem.

Any help here or can someone direct me to a sight with pictures?

Roseluvr

Old 14-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Daniel Hanna

In Thorny wrote:
Hey there boys and girls. I have a bush that I thought was a rose,
but it is not sporting any buds. While my other roses have 3-5 leaf
clusters, this has seven on each stem.

Having 7-leaflet clusters can indicate that your rose is a grafted bush,
where the strong host parent (or 'rootstock') has taken over the brand
of rose that was supposed to grow off it. I should however point out
that many roses (including some David Austin breeds) have 7-leaflet
foliage, so it's not necessarily a dud.

If your rose is a rootstock variety gone wild, you may be getting a
monster bush like Multiflora or Dr Huey, which (in many climates) put
out a big flush of flowers in mid summer. You can either wait and see
if you like it, or dig it up before it gets away on you. I'd advise you
to wait so long as you're handy with a shovel later...
Old 14-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Henry

Daniel Hanna wrote:
In Thorny wrote:

Hey there boys and girls. I have a bush that I thought was a rose,
but it is not sporting any buds. While my other roses have 3-5 leaf
clusters, this has seven on each stem.

Does it have thorns?

If your rose is a rootstock variety gone wild, you may be getting a
monster bush like Multiflora

Multiflora has leaves with everything from 7 to 11 leaflets but most
often 9. It also blooms quite young and probably by now (of course
depending on what part of the country/world you are in - they just
finished here in Maryland/USA).

If you can post a photo of it to the web somewhere, we'll have a better
chance of identifying it. But more chance still if it is in bloom. Of
take a stem and put it on a scanner and post that. We'll be able to
tell if it's a rose, anyway.

--
Henry

What have I got? White Monkey Orchids 17 22-01-2005 11:52 PM
What have I got? White Monkey Orchids 0 05-01-2005 08:57 AM