Old 15-06-2003, 06:20 PM
lhp

Default Beach Roses. Can I transplant them?

I bought a new house in 1997 and the builder planted about a dozen
beach roses on a slope away from the house. This is in the
northeastern US, about a mile from the beach in a wide open and
windswept area. Now the roses are getting overgrown by russian
olives. the olives to provide a great screen, but I do want to save
the roses. they are small, maybe 3feet in diameter and about a foot
tall, five years old. they are very green and healthy lookig and
bloomed fully this year. I am considering transplanting the roses to
the front of the russian olive, edging the lawn. Can I do that? Do
they transplant? The soil that they are in now is very poor, mostly
sand and other types from the house excavation. What is the best way
and time of year to transplant those? In the new location they will
get direct sun from dawn to dusk. Also, if I leave them where they
are, will the Russian Olives kill them by shading out the sun
completely? In my area the olives are wild and grow to the height of
medium size trees, 20+feet or so.
Any and all advice, escpecially good one, will be appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 16-06-2003, 05:04 PM
Theo Asir

Yes go ahead & transplant them.
Amend the soil where you plant w/
peat, humus & manure.

The one thing I worry is climate. If
it is already consistently above 80F
it is probably too hot for a transplant.
If so wait till September & cooler temps.

Try to get as much of the roots as possible.
Trim the top to slightly less than the amount of
roots you manage to get.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

om...

Old 16-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Zack Lau

2003 has been unusually cold, wet, and rainy in this part of the
world--it may be a good idea to transplant them right now. J&P
actually sent me an email saying they are extending their bareroot
shipping date to June 23rd. You will need to keep them well
watered if the weather suddenly becomes hot and dry...

Zack Lau W1VT

om...