Old 18-06-2003, 06:44 PM
david robery

Default making soil less alkaline

can anyone give me some hints to help make my soil more acidic.

many thanks.
Old 18-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Daniel Hanna

In m david robery
wrote:
can anyone give me some hints to help make my soil more acidic.

Add some chelated iron powder. Fertilising with fowl manure also helps.
Old 19-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Tim Tompkins

Add as much composted organic matter as you can manage. Also use 1tbs of
vinegar/gallon of water when you water and in any liquid feeding solutions.

Tim

s.com...

Old 19-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Tim Tompkins

Chelated iron is simply 'available' it doesn't do much to
change the pH of the soil. Various nutrients change their chemical bonds
when the pH of the soil is either too acid or too alkaline, chelating iron
prevents it from forming the undesired bonds and allows it to be taken up by
the plant.
The yellow veining in the foliage is one of the first symptoms of an
incorrect pH in the soil.

When raw organic matter is added to the soil it will consume a gread deal of
nirotgen during its decomposition, this is why organic material should be
'well rotted', to prevent nitrogen depletion.

Tim

"Daniel Hanna" wrote in message
home.com.au...

Old 19-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Cass

david robery wrote:

can anyone give me some hints to help make my soil more acidic.

Dave, as Tim pointed out, adding organic matter and especially keeping
your soils heavily mulched will slowly reduce the pH and make your soil
more acidic and more friable.

Depending on what kind of clay you have, other chemical additives can
help, including sulfur and gypsum.

You need to check for an agricultural university website in your state
and search for "soil pH." Acidity isn't just an up-or-down-add-
more-of-one-component adjustment. You would be astounded at the quick
fix solutions you'll find in garden centers. This actually takes a bit
of research to find out the nature of your local soils. There are
detailed US Geological survey soils maps for some areas of the country,
for example. Some are available on-line. Once you know about your
soils, you can do a google search. Try things like "balance soil pH
California" or wherever you're located.

Another factor is the water you put on your soil every time you
irrigate. If you have water district water, you can find out the range
of pH of your water from the water supplier. Otherwise, you can easily
test pH with a pool testing kit.

If you want to be really official, you can do a soil test and get a
recommendation from the soils lab. Unfortunately, their recommendations
often include helpful suggestions like adding tons/acre.

Old 19-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Henry

Cass wrote:
david robery wrote:

you can easily
test pH with a pool testing kit.

Or an aquarium test kit, which may be cheaper.

If you want to be really official, you can do a soil test and get a
recommendation from the soils lab. Unfortunately, their recommendations
often include helpful suggestions like adding tons/acre.

One ton per acre is about 3/4 ounce per square foot or 6.6 ounces per
square yard.

--
Henry

alkaline soil tracey Australia 3 24-05-2005 12:31 PM
alkaline soil in a bag Tiger303 United Kingdom 2 29-03-2005 07:53 PM
how to turn alkaline soil to acidic Alex Woodward United Kingdom 20 08-03-2005 07:06 PM
Another composting post-I thought I composted Big Time...or howto learn more about less and less... Gary United Kingdom 10 17-11-2004 11:21 AM
clematis and alkaline soil anton jopko Gardening 2 13-10-2004 12:37 PM