Old 22-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Anne Lurie

Default Rose with "sprained ankle"

I just realized that this post needs to be split into A. "Help?" and B.
"Help? and thanks so much for reading the post" -- not to mention my
gratitude to everyone on this newsgroup.

A. If a rose cane has bent, but not quite broken, is there anything that
can be done for it? (Aside from a "splint" is there any sort of bandage or
wax, or something?)

B. (see the following)

So, there I was -- agonizing over how to support the two new big canes that
Graham Thomas threw off.

Previously, I had decided that "caging" the plant was not the right
pproach -- not only was the [available material] cage ugly, the entire
plant was beginning to take on the "I spent my whole life in a vase" look
(oh, c'mon, someone here must know what I mean by that!).

Soooo.......I removed the caging/support from Graham Thomas (sorry, I simply
cannot refer to this one as GT, must be sure sign of rose addiction --
and, gee, I never realized before that "addition" and "addiction" have only
one wee little C between them?)....... and Graham Thomas flourished.

Plant put out 2 big gorgeous canes as tall as I am. And life was good.
Canes are big, bold, and have "branches" to my delight. (Top-heavy should
have come to mind right then, but.........noooo, not to me.)

After a T-storm or two, big canes acquired a graceful arch -- and
above-said branches are now pointing skyward. "Aha," sez I, "this is how
Graham Thomas is meant to achieve its destiny," so I desist from propping,
supporting, whatever.

Then, I notice -- "big sigh" -- that the graceful arch of one of the big
canes has suddenly become an angle (at the bottom, naturally), presumably
not a good sign. So, I prop everybody up with plastic fencing threaded onto
extraneous tomato stakes, and I hope for the best.

I have the oddest feeling that I just answered my own question -- "Wait
and hope for the best" -- as much as I would like to rationalize my
quest for advice as something I could use in future years with "worthy"
roses, I gotta admit, it's only a 2nd-year Graham Thomas that I can find
absolutely everywhere, what's the big deal?

It's no big deal, it's just "my baby" -- I'd already decided that my first
"shovel-prune" would be the Double Delight next to it. (I thought Double
Delight was thriving until I saw what "thriving" roses can really do; and
it's easily replaced -- and this time, I might actually not plant it
"still in the box"). I'd also decided that Graham Thomas might appreciate
the extra space/sunshine from taking down the holly tree next to it (it's a
no-brainer, scraggy Yankee holly vs. you-know-who).

Thanks for listening,

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 22-06-2003, 03:32 AM
JimS.

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
om...
I just realized that this post needs to be split into A. "Help?" and B.
"Help? and thanks so much for reading the post" -- not to mention my
gratitude to everyone on this newsgroup.

A. If a rose cane has bent, but not quite broken, is there anything that
can be done for it? (Aside from a "splint" is there any sort of bandage

or
wax, or something?)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

C'mon, you're in North Carolina, and you have to ask??? Why, DUCT TAPE, of
course!!!
Seriously....I had this happen last year, a nice big beautiful branch that
bent 90 degrees and would certainly have died. "Like hell", I
thought....got nothin' to lose--- so I hauled out the duct tape and
bandaged it up, just like a cast. Left it on for about 4 months. When I
took the tape off, there it was: a nice, big, knobby "knee", right where it
had broken. In fact, I think it's stronger than it would have been 'cuz
it's got "scar tissue". It worked great.

Since then this same plant has gotten droopy and I've propped it up with
tomato stakes. If another branch folds like that, I will definitely do the
duct tape again.

JimS.
Seattle

Old 23-06-2003, 04:20 PM