GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   molding rose buds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/33528-molding-rose-buds.html)

dgtns 22-06-2003 04:56 PM

molding rose buds

I live in CT and we have been having HUGE RAINFALLS. I have a rose
bush that the buds are actually molding before reaching bloom. Has
anyone experienced this problem? is it because of the amount of rain?
thanks

Shiva 22-06-2003 05:08 PM

molding rose buds

On 22 Jun 2003 08:50:15 -0700, (dgtns) wrote:

I live in CT and we have been having HUGE RAINFALLS.

Us too here in NC!

I have a rose bush that the buds are actually molding before reaching bloom. Has
anyone experienced this problem? is it because of the amount of rain?

Yes and yes. Cut the buds off, apply a fungicide if you can get a
forcast of 48 dry hours in a row and if spraying your rose with a
fungicide is not morally reprehensible to you, put down some nice rose
food and pray for sunshine. Once the damage is done (mine are
defoliating from blackspot) all we can do is get it off the plant,
protect the plant from more by applying a fungicide, and encourage new
growth to put the entire ugly incident behind us.

thanks

dgtns 24-06-2003 07:44 PM

molding rose buds

thanks, that's what i've done, but i was so upset, the poor buds were
so ugly, i'd never seen anything like that before.

Shiva 24-06-2003 08:32 PM

molding rose buds

On 24 Jun 2003 11:40:33 -0700, (dgtns) wrote:

thanks, that's what i've done, but i was so upset, the poor buds were
so ugly, i'd never seen anything like that before.

I know, and I feel for you. It is so fungussy here I have to make the
time to use fungicide every week or so or the blackspot defoliates my
roses. I did so religiously--and I HATE spraying, as does everyone, I
think--until the middle of May when it started raining. They were
gorgeous! Now they are mostly sticks. It is hard. Buck up, we can't do
much about mother nature. By the way, welcome!

dgtns 27-06-2003 01:44 AM

molding rose buds

thanks for the welcome!
last year i thought the rabbits were getting at the roses, but when
you mentioned sticks--
I guess its the black spot stuff. thats dropping the leaves, i
sprayed them today as you suggested and feed them too.

I'm in the New York metro area, and the rain has been horrible and its
been unusually cool--- until the past 2 days which have been HOT and
very humid. I'm keeping my fingers crossed --but its going to rain
agian in the next 24 hours.

It was raining so much earlier this month -- creating lakes near the
downspouts, i actually dug up one bush because it was sitting in a
lake. it seems like its happy in its new spot.

wish me luck--
donna