Old 03-03-2003, 01:52 AM
KAren Jones

Default Climbing Roses

I was wondering if anyone could help me since I am new to the gardening
scene! I was given a climbing rose bush for valentines day that was
purchased from lowes. It is currently on my kitchen counter in a wrap that
lowes put on it. Its about a 3 gal plant. I have been watering it and it is
sprouting new growth all over itself! My question is when do I put it
outside? I don't want to kill it and I have no idea when is a good time to
plant it!I live in Nashville Tn so its still alittle cold here. Any ideas
would be GREAT! Karen

Old 03-03-2003, 02:39 AM
Allegra

"KAren Jones" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
I was wondering if anyone could help me since I am new to the gardening
scene! I was given a climbing rose bush for valentines day that was
purchased from lowes. It is currently on my kitchen counter in a wrap that
lowes put on it. Its about a 3 gal plant. I have been watering it and it

is
sprouting new growth all over itself! My question is when do I put it
outside? I don't want to kill it and I have no idea when is a good time to
plant it!I live in Nashville Tn so its still alittle cold here. Any ideas
would be GREAT! Karen

Hello Karen,

Welcome to the group and to growing roses!

I guess your weather still kind of wintry so I would
like to suggest one of two things: if you have a garage,
how about to move that rose to the garage, provide a
growing light for it (since it has already broken dormancy)
any good old lamp with some single growing bulb will
do, make sure to water your rose about every other day .
They need a lot of water while inside - they do outside
too, but inside they are little sponges because normally
the environment is drier inside) and wait until the
temperatures climb up a bit.

Second: if you have a protected area where you could
put the rose near a southern wall for instance, that
would be great, because it would harden and there is
a chance that wouldn't suffer any damage. I am assuming
the rose is in a pot? If not, I guess we are talking bare root
here. In which case, get yourself at least a 5-gallon pot
and some good soil, put a layer of gravel or whatever
you have handy to help drain well at the bottom and
plant that climber in that pot until you can get it
outside and plant it where you want the rose to grow.

What is the name of your rose? Not all climbers are
created equal and some can get pretty big so it will
help you to find out how big she will get before
deciding where are you going to plant her.
Here is a link to a place where you can learn a lot about
that rose and others, although I am sure the rest of
the group here will give you good advice to keep
your valentine alive and happy.

Good luck,

Allegra

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/rosetest.html

Old 03-03-2003, 05:07 AM
dave weil

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 02:33:42 GMT, "Allegra"
wrote:

"KAren Jones" wrote in message
arthlink.net...
[...]

All good advice.

Actually, now is the perfect time to put it into the ground here in
Nashville. Sure it's still cold. But the cold days are going to get
further and further apart. You'll lose a little bit of growth, but you
don't want to wait very long to get it into the ground. The cold
ground temps will help keep it "semi-dormant" until it warms up for
good (around 1 April or so). The next month will give it a chance to
settle in as well before it really starts to grow. This is actually
the most ideal time to plant.

BTW, are we *ever* going to see the sun again?

Note to those outside of Nashville - we've set a new record for the
number of consecutive non-sun days (defined as 15 minutes or less sun
each 24 hr period). I think we're at 16 now (this current string
started on Valentine's Day).

Old 03-03-2003, 05:40 AM
Allegra

"dave weil" wrote in message

BTW, are we *ever* going to see the sun again?

Note to those outside of Nashville - we've set a new record for the
number of consecutive non-sun days (defined as 15 minutes or less sun
each 24 hr period). I think we're at 16 now (this current string
started on Valentine's Day).

Brag, brag, brag. You should move to Portland to learn
about what the absence of that yellow thing in the sky
is all about. Our roses grow on memories. And alfalfa
pellets!

How are your roses doing? In the dark, dark, dark
Nashville? Here in sunny Portland Oregon ( we have
seen the yellow thing maybe once since Valentine's
Day) the roses are acting like perfect divas. Some
are covered with leaves, goodness help us all since
normally by the middle of March (beware of the Ides)
we have a killer frost or some such that sends everything
back to ground zero. So I am not going outside unless
is absolutely necessary or I will get truly depressed.

But the white gorgeous clematis by Altissimo is in
full bloom...talking about missing dates...

Allegra

Old 03-03-2003, 01:27 PM
dave weil

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 05:33:59 GMT, "Allegra"
wrote:

"dave weil" wrote in message
.. .

BTW, are we *ever* going to see the sun again?

Note to those outside of Nashville - we've set a new record for the
number of consecutive non-sun days (defined as 15 minutes or less sun
each 24 hr period). I think we're at 16 now (this current string
started on Valentine's Day).

Brag, brag, brag. You should move to Portland to learn
about what the absence of that yellow thing in the sky
is all about. Our roses grow on memories. And alfalfa
pellets!

The difference is the fact that you guys are acclimated to it. This
has been the dreariest period that I can remember (on several levels).

How are your roses doing? In the dark, dark, dark
Nashville? Here in sunny Portland Oregon ( we have
seen the yellow thing maybe once since Valentine's
Day) the roses are acting like perfect divas.

Not well. After the snow, and record rainfall and cold temperatures
(right now, it's 26 degrees), our roses have taken a beating this
winter. Sombrueil, which looked just fine well into the winter,
finally browned its leaves after the 7 inch snowfall. The canes look
OK though. Everything else is OK I think, but there's going to be some
serious pruning to be done.

But, as I write this, I'm looking out on the first real sunrise in
almost a month. The sun is actually shining. And it's going to get up
to the 60s tomorrow.

Some
are covered with leaves, goodness help us all since
normally by the middle of March (beware of the Ides)
we have a killer frost or some such that sends everything
back to ground zero. So I am not going outside unless
is absolutely necessary or I will get truly depressed.

But the white gorgeous clematis by Altissimo is in
full bloom...talking about missing dates...

Well, the marigolds are coming up. I'm sure that they'll be blitzed in
late March as usual though.

Old 03-03-2003, 03:03 PM
JimS.

"Allegra" wrote in message

"dave weil" wrote in message

BTW, are we *ever* going to see the sun again?

Brag, brag, brag. You should move to Portland to learn
about what the absence of that yellow thing in the sky
is all about. Our roses grow on memories. And alfalfa
pellets!

How are your roses doing? In the dark, dark, dark
Nashville? Here in sunny Portland Oregon ( we have
seen the yellow thing maybe once since Valentine's
Day) the roses are acting like perfect divas. Some
are covered with leaves, goodness help us all since
normally by the middle of March (beware of the Ides)
we have a killer frost or some such that sends everything
back to ground zero. So I am not going outside unless
is absolutely necessary or I will get truly depressed.

But the white gorgeous clematis by Altissimo is in
full bloom...talking about missing dates...

Allegra

Sun? What's that? Oh yeah, that bright yellow thing that comes out every
Monday after the weekend is safely past. Hangs around till about Thursday,
here and there, until Friday approaches. Lukily my roses have become little
divas too, I even had one that put out three beautiful blooms (yes, full
blooms) in mid-January.

On a more positive note.....at least we don't have to water. :Þ

JimS.
Seattle

Old 04-03-2003, 04:39 PM
Shiva

dave weil wrote:

Dave said:

The difference is the fact that you guys are acclimated to it. This
has been the dreariest period that I can remember (on several levels).

Hey you! I've been up to my neck with stuff, but am thinking about you.
Drop me a line.

Old 04-03-2003, 04:39 PM
Shiva

dave weil wrote:

Dave said:

The difference is the fact that you guys are acclimated to it. This
has been the dreariest period that I can remember (on several levels).

Hey you! I've been up to my neck with stuff, but am thinking about you.
Drop me a line.

Are climbing roses more suseptable to disease? GamePlayer No. 1058 Roses 6 20-05-2003 05:56 AM
Climbing Roses Rusty Mase Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Climbing Yellow roses for a fence TripFarmer Roses 4 19-03-2003 04:32 AM
Climbing Roses Vickie Andersen Roses 2 07-03-2003 06:32 PM
Combining Roses with climbing vines Huskies4all Roses 9 18-02-2003 07:15 PM