GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help - Name of Deep Black Red Rose (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/34097-help-name-deep-black-red-rose.html)

Elfie 25-06-2003 03:32 PM

Help - Name of Deep Black Red Rose

I am trying to locate a rose that was around in the 60's that is
almost black. My father had a rose bush in San Francisco in the 60's
and always wanted to grow them --- so now I am taking over his
mission. Thank you.

JimS. 25-06-2003 04:44 PM

Help - Name of Deep Black Red Rose

"Elfie" wrote in message
om...
I am trying to locate a rose that was around in the 60's that is
almost black. My father had a rose bush in San Francisco in the 60's
and always wanted to grow them --- so now I am taking over his
mission. Thank you.

A very dark red, almost black, is Taboo. Nice rose. There may be darker.
Kentucky Derby is also dark red, but of the two, my Taboo is darker.

JimS.
Seattle

Daniel Hanna 25-06-2003 10:08 PM

In Elfie wrote:
I am trying to locate a rose that was around in the 60's that is
almost black. My father had a rose bush in San Francisco in the 60's
and always wanted to grow them --- so now I am taking over his
mission. Thank you.

Black Velvet may be your rose. It was released in 1960 in the States,
by Morey. Have a look:

http://members.optushome.com.au/djha...ml#BlackVelvet

MMMavocado 26-06-2003 03:20 AM

Help - Name of Deep Black Red Rose

'Oklahoma' is black-red and was released in 1968.

Radika Kesavan 26-06-2003 05:20 AM

MMMavocado wrote:
'Oklahoma' is black-red and was released in 1968.

I agree, Elfie's description fits Oklahoma better than any other
blackish red rose for that time period.

--
Radika
California

Daniel Hanna 26-06-2003 11:32 AM

In Radika Kesavan wrote:
I agree, Elfie's description fits Oklahoma better than any other
blackish red rose for that time period.

I lost the original post - what did Elfie say about fragrance? If it
was very fragrant then I'd agree with you.

Radika Kesavan 26-06-2003 04:32 PM

Daniel Hanna wrote:
In Radika Kesavan wrote:

I agree, Elfie's description fits Oklahoma better than any other
blackish red rose for that time period.

I lost the original post - what did Elfie say about fragrance? If it
was very fragrant then I'd agree with you.

Hello, Daniel!

Elfie said nothing about fragrance that I can recall - my deduction and
agreement with MMMavocado's identifying it as Oklahoma is based on the
date and the colour of the rose that was grown by Elfie's father in San
Francisco - here is the original post:

Elfie 27-06-2003 08:56 PM

Help - Name of Deep Black Red Rose

I wish to thank all of you for responding to my inquiry. Well, it
looks like the rose that I am searching for is "Oklahoma". I don't
know if there was a fragrance to this rose or not since my father was
the only one who could tell me. My quest is to purchase 3 rose bushes
in his memory. One of my mother, my sister and me! My sister and I
"try" to grow roses. Once again, thank you.

Ol' Thornfinger 30-06-2003 08:58 PM

Help - Name of Deep Black Red Rose

"Elfie" wrote in message
om...
I wish to thank all of you for responding to my inquiry. Well, it
looks like the rose that I am searching for is "Oklahoma". I don't
know if there was a fragrance to this rose or not since my father was
the only one who could tell me.

Oklahoma is a wonderful rose, one of my favorites.
Classic red rose scent, not overpowering, but definately there...

FOW 01-07-2003 08:57 PM

Help - Name of Deep Black Red Rose

Might be Taboo, mine is about 6-7 feet tall, has only 3 leaves on the stem
with dark green leaves.

Radika Kesavan 01-07-2003 09:24 PM

FOW wrote:
Might be Taboo, mine is about 6-7 feet tall, has only 3 leaves on the stem
with dark green leaves.
"MMMavocado" wrote in message

'Oklahoma' is black-red and was released in 1968.

Taboo was not released into commerce (in Eurpoe) till 1988, and not in
the U. S. till 1994. So, while other parts of the description fit Taboo,
being grown in the sixties by the original poster's father in his SF
garden makes that rose unlikely to be Taboo.

--
Radika
California

FOW 03-07-2003 10:36 PM

Help - Name of Deep Black Red Rose

Thanks Radika, A friend of mine has Oklahoma, it did not seem real dark to
me, more cherry color like. You must live near me, I'm in Santa Rosa
Cal............Sunset zone 13.Are you near here?