Old 25-06-2003, 07:08 PM
dave weil

Default I hate Japanese beetles

I just had to get that off my chest.

We're at the peak of JB season and I'm really hoping that I've only
got another week or so. I can't remember how long it lasted last year.

I'm especially ****ed because Felicia is finally in its second flush
and they're just *decimating* it. Additionally, they're going after
the leaves of Old Blush. Also, it's taken almost a month for Graham
Thomas to rest up and start its second flush and they're going to town
on it as well.

On a brighter note, I wanted to point out that my Cecile Brunner Cl.
hasn't gone out of bloom since it started blooming. As soon as one
flushis over, the next, slightly smaller one begins.

Also, the Don Juans under the tree are blooming like crazy.
Fortunately, the beetles seem to only eat red stuff as a last resort.
They especially love pink and yellow though.
Old 25-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Anne Lurie

Some of my roses seem to be getting a break because JB are chowing down on a
Weeping Japanese Cherry (or something) next to the rose bed. Interestingly,
the JB are munching on the strong new growth at the top of the tree, rather
than the weaker leaves.

I was going to spray the roses today -- despite its being a Red Alert
ozone day here in Raleigh -- but I abandoned my effort after splashing
myself in the face with Orthonex solution; ironically, I was attempting to
empty an over-filled sprayer at the time! (Thank goodness for sunglasses.)
I decided it was wiser to jump in the shower, then into bed for a nap.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC zone 7b

Old 26-06-2003, 08:08 AM
Cass

dave weil wrote:

I just had to get that off my chest.

We're at the peak of JB season and I'm really hoping that I've only
got another week or so. I can't remember how long it lasted last year.

I'm especially ****ed because Felicia is finally in its second flush
and they're just *decimating* it. Additionally, they're going after
the leaves of Old Blush. Also, it's taken almost a month for Graham
Thomas to rest up and start its second flush and they're going to town
on it as well.

On a brighter note, I wanted to point out that my Cecile Brunner Cl.
hasn't gone out of bloom since it started blooming. As soon as one
flushis over, the next, slightly smaller one begins.

Also, the Don Juans under the tree are blooming like crazy.
Fortunately, the beetles seem to only eat red stuff as a last resort.
They especially love pink and yellow though.

What a drag. It's a toss up for damage: deer, rabbits, gophers or
Japanese beetles. Oh, and mow and blow guys armed with Roundup.
Old 26-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Daniel Hanna

In Cass wrote:
What a drag. It's a toss up for damage: deer, rabbits, gophers or
Japanese beetles. Oh, and mow and blow guys armed with Roundup.

Lucky me... here in Australia we have none of those pests. Except maybe
the last kind, but they can be repelled!
Old 26-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Theo Asir

"Cass" wrote in message
.. .
dave weil wrote:

[...]

Don't forget, dogs that 'Mark' the rose.

Squirrels that like to investigate.

and neighbhors who bleach their fences!

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 30-06-2003, 02:08 PM
ScoobyRCP

So far the best JB killer I've found is Ortho's Isotox. Kills them dead on the
spot, and seems to have a local residual effect for several days as evidenced
by the ever increasing number of little dead bodies under the rose (JB bodies
of course). I only use ot on the effected roses since it is also toxic to any
other helpful critter.....but I hate the JB so much I'll sacrifice a few of the
beneficial critters to keep my roses. My wife says I get entirely TOO much
pleasure from attacking the JB.......hmmm!! :-)

This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to
be considered flaws or defects.

Old 30-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Shiva

I love the way they bury themselves face first in my big luscious
blooms and appear to poop black stuff WHILE they are eating. With
their dreadful little stubby legs going the whole time like "ooo,
ahhh, good, good good!"