Old 26-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Don Ulicki

Default 50 Bushes.....and not a sinlge Bud !!

I have a major problem concerning concerning new shoots for my bushes. I
live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada..... (500 miles north of Minneapolis, Mn)
I have been growing roses for over 40 years and this problem is killing
me....
All of the new shoots(before the bud head) are being chopped off like a
cut worm cut. I have been dusting regularly, but after two days
whoever/whatever is back right at it.I have not seen (or heard) a single
insect around my bushes , yet every morning the shoots are disappearing.
And yes, the whole shoot is missing, nothing on the ground underneath or
around.
What on earth is it? Some kind of night flying leaf cutter bee? The
weather and temps have been normal this year and last. I'm at a loss as to
what it is or how to stop it. Otherwise, roses are completely healthy.
Your comments here would be most appreciated.

Thanx
Don

Old 26-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Theo Asir

Ever seen a Rabbit.
They love roses.
I had one that would pull
down basals eat the tender
top growth and release the cane.
Don't ask me how he/she did it.

I've caught and evacuated 3 of
the little terrorists so far this year.
Yesterday as my wife oohed and ahhed
it fertilized her boots.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 02-07-2003, 12:12 AM
kljcvlzkj

Odd, I was thinking of different creatures, namely elk and deer. They both
have a thing for young tender roses anything...

Old 02-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Theo Asir

When deer have been through
your roses believe me you will know.

I've seen them eat a 6' bush to its nubs
in a single night.

Deer also leave mashed cane ends.

Rabbits cut the canes.
If the cane end looks like its been
cut with shears, its rabbit.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 02-07-2003, 10:08 PM
kljcvlzkj

I do know... It's happened to me, but the deer don't like old canes, and
don't necessarily leave mashed ends. Depends on how old the deer is, and
whether or not it's teeth have been ground down through years of grazing...