Old 28-06-2003, 04:44 PM
seepnezorf1

Default my gertrude and jekyll has yellow leaves

I live in zone 6 and we have had a very wet spring. The bush gets between 5
to 6 hours of sun a day. It started off great with tons of blooms, but one
by one as the blooms have been opening some of the leaves on the canes have
been yellowing. I already trimmed off one cane that had died and now the
one right next to it is heading south as well. The leaves on the cane that
are not yellowed appear to be wilted and the buds that were on that cane are
droopy as well. I've checked for aphids and cane borers and cannot find any
signs of them.

The rose gets fed with one of those weed and feed combo mixes and has not
recently been pruned. Could the yellowing just be attributed to an
overabundance of water and should I just start cutting off all the canes
with the yellowing leaves?

thanks

Old 29-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Daniel Hanna

In aHiLa.41790$R73.6254@sccrnsc04 seepnezorf1 wrote:
The rose gets fed with one of those weed and feed combo mixes and has
not recently been pruned. Could the yellowing just be attributed to
an overabundance of water and should I just start cutting off all the
canes with the yellowing leaves?

Firstly, it does sound like a typical overwatering scenario. Careful,
I've lost several bushes that way in the recent rains.

My suggestions:

(1) Don't water for quite a while!

(2) Leave the canes where they are. If you're lucky the rose will re-
shoot new growth, but it's hard to predict where on the bush that will
happen. Don't limit it by pruning until after regrowth has occurred -
then trim off the dead branches.

(3) Carefully aerate the soil around the bush with a small garden fork
to let oxygen in and promote some evaporation.

(4) Weed and feed combo? I don't like the sound of that. Not for roses.
Save that stuff for lawns.

(5) If you can find some 'plant starter' or rooting hormone to add to
the soil near the trunk of the rose, try that. I have saved a couple of
bushes that way. Also, once the soil has dried, try a small feed of
seaweed emulsion which also promotes root growth.

Hope this helps.
Old 29-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Cass

In article aHiLa.41790$R73.6254@sccrnsc04, seepnezorf1
wrote:

I live in zone 6 and we have had a very wet spring. The bush gets between 5
to 6 hours of sun a day. It started off great with tons of blooms, but one
by one as the blooms have been opening some of the leaves on the canes have
been yellowing.

The rose gets fed with one of those weed and feed combo mixes and has not
recently been pruned.

Weed and feed? As in for lawns? With the herbicide 2-4-D in it? The one
that kills broad leaf plants?
http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/24d.htm

Do you mean something else, like an all-in-one rose product?
Old 30-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Theo Asir

.. .
wrote:

I live in zone 6 and we have had a very wet spring. The bush gets

between 5
to 6 hours of sun a day. It started off great with tons of blooms, but

one
by one as the blooms have been opening some of the leaves on the canes

have
been yellowing.

The rose gets fed with one of those weed and feed combo mixes and has

not
recently been pruned.

Weed and feed? As in for lawns? With the herbicide 2-4-D in it? The one
that kills broad leaf plants?
http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/24d.htm

Sure hope not.
If so those roses are gonners!

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Do you mean something else, like an all-in-one rose product?