Old 02-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Unique Too

Default Sevin and toxicity?

Shiva wrote:
I was surprised to see Sevin mentioned here, because it was one of the
first things I used on my roses for insects and one of the old crew
blew me out of the water for it.

I also thought Sevin was one of the really bad pesticides. It's another of
those I bought a long time ago and only used once.

Where's Radika? I'm sure she can tell us how bad this stuff really is.
Hey, who needs her anyway? I found these myself! (just kidding R.)

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/ipm/insects/ld50.htm

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/facts-sl...bre-sevin.html

It seems Sevin isn't nearly a bad as some of the products out there.

Julie

Old 03-07-2003, 12:56 AM
Anne Lurie

I always thought Sevin was one of the "best" of the "worst" -- i.e., you
can use it on vegetables? (With waiting period, of course, and not using it
would clearly be better, but my eggplant wouldn't have any leaves left after
the JB got through with them.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 03-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Radika Kesavan

Unique Too wrote:

Where's Radika? I'm sure she can tell us how bad this stuff really is.

Heh. Oh, I don't know - I can also tell when something is not as bad as
some claim it to be.

Hey, who needs her anyway? I found these myself! (just kidding R.)

See how watching a little URL hurling makes everyone do the same with
great panache ;-)?

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/ipm/insects/ld50.htm

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/facts-sl...bre-sevin.html

It seems Sevin isn't nearly a bad as some of the products out there.

This is what Extoxnet has to say on Sevin/Carbaryl:
http://ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet/pips/carbaryl.htm

"The only documented fatality from carbaryl was through intentional
ingestion," they say, and perhaps the other toxic effects are also from
intentional exposures (?).

--
Radika
California

Old 03-07-2003, 06:20 AM
JimS.

"Radika Kesavan" wrote in message
Unique Too wrote:

Where's Radika? I'm sure she can tell us how bad this stuff really is.

snip

This is what Extoxnet has to say on Sevin/Carbaryl:
http://ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet/pips/carbaryl.htm

"The only documented fatality from carbaryl was through intentional
ingestion," they say, and perhaps the other toxic effects are also from
intentional exposures (?).

--
Radika
California

It can't be TOO bad...I've put it directly on my dogs and cats before, to
kill fleas, and it doesn't make them sick.

JimS.
Seattle

Old 03-07-2003, 06:56 AM
Radika Kesavan

JimS. wrote:
"Radika Kesavan" wrote in message

This is what Extoxnet has to say on Sevin/Carbaryl:
http://ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet/pips/carbaryl.htm

"The only documented fatality from carbaryl was through intentional
ingestion," they say, and perhaps the other toxic effects are also from
intentional exposures (?).

It can't be TOO bad...I've put it directly on my dogs and cats before, to
kill fleas, and it doesn't make them sick.

Sorry my meaning was not clear the way I wrote it. I was simply
wondering if may be all the other toxic efforts reported are from
intentional exposure of experimental animals to very high levels of
Sevin in toxicology experiments. Even pure sodium chloride can be toxic
if one intentionally took it to very high concentrations in experiments,
I reckon. It is just that the amounts of Sevin where toxicity is claimed
in that document, on cursory reading, appear very high. May be I am
missing something.

--
Radika
California

Old 03-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Daniel Hanna

In Unique Too wrote:
It seems Sevin isn't nearly a bad as some of the products out there.

True. Carbaryl (the active compound and the brand name under which it's
sold in Australia) is relatively harmless.

A few years ago some company here developed a liquid carbaryl spray, but
I haven't seen it in ages. It is always in dust form in the US?
Old 03-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Henry

Daniel Hanna wrote:
In Unique Too wrote:

It seems Sevin isn't nearly a bad as some of the products out there.

True. Carbaryl (the active compound and the brand name under which it's
sold in Australia) is relatively harmless.

A few years ago some company here developed a liquid carbaryl spray, but
I haven't seen it in ages. It is always in dust form in the US?

No, it is sold in dust form and as a milky suspension. It is sold under
lots of different brand names here but carbaryl is the name of the
chemical so we have to look at the list of active ingredients to see if
that's what we're getting (unless Sevin is the brand name).

--
Henry

Old 03-07-2003, 06:32 PM
kljcvlzkj

JimS. wrote:
[...]

Not really missing anything, but maybe missing some of the behavior of the
beast. Sevin has to be ingested, and has to be consumed in high quantity to
do its thing. Years ago, in the early eighties, I was working for the local
parks department in the forestry division. The city had a problem with a
little creature called Tusic Moth eating all the Blue Spruce trees, and as
the Blue Spruce was the state tree the founding fathers were understandably
upset, so we used a product called SevinMol on the trees. The Sevin did
exactly what it was supposed to do, which is it clogged up the moth's
digestive systems to the point where they couldn't take in enough to
survive, but it also had an unexpected side effect. The local Lark Bunting
population, which of course was the state bird, began eating the dieing
moths, and in turn began to die...

So, perhaps there are some places to use this stuff, like where there is a
large bug population but there isn't a bird population, but I'd certainly
not use it on a vegetable garden.

Old 04-07-2003, 08:20 AM
Radika Kesavan

kljcvlzkj wrote:
[...]

Very interesting tale.

So, perhaps there are some places to use this stuff, like where there
is a large bug population but there isn't a bird population,

Thank you for explaining that. I was genuinely puzzled.

but I'd certainly not use it on a vegetable garden.

We do not use any synthetic organic pesticides on any plant anyway, but
in our climate, such measures are also unnecessary. Besides, I try not
knowingly handle such chemicals outside of my workplace, and so, if such
measures are necessary to grow a certain something I would probably opt
to not grow that certain something - it is just my choice, that is all.

--
Radika
California

Old 21-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Registered User

I just want to know whether all the efforts reported in laboratory animals exposed to other toxic interested to very high levels of Sevin in the toxicology experiments. Even pure sodium chloride can be toxic to people deliberately put it very high concentrations in the experiment, I guess. It means only that the amount of the toxicity of Sevin in the document claimed that, in the cursory, it is very high.
__________________
Pond Supplies
Old 20-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Registered User

[quote=Radika Kesavan;234161]JimS. wrote:
"Radika Kesavan" wrote in message

This is what Extoxnet has to say on Sevin/Carbaryl:
EXTOXNET PIP - CARBARYL

"The only documented fatality from carbaryl was through intentional
ingestion," they say, and perhaps the other toxic effects are also from
intentional exposures (?).

[color=blue]

I'm so glad someone brought up Sevin. I use the product but carefully. I have found that it works so well on my roses, it also gets rid of Carpenter Bees that infiltrate the wood on my porch. I use it carefully because I got a terrible skin rash after using it. I thought it might be from the spray on the nozzle so I am thinking of trying some other way of containing the spray when using. Anyone out there have any experience with those nozzle, spray things. I found a website that might be useful; spraysmarter.com Other than my own allergies the product works like a charm for buggies.
Rosiegirl
Zone 5