GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Joys of Fungicide, Bliss of Insecticide! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/35448-joys-fungicide-bliss-insecticide.html)

Shiva 04-07-2003 04:08 PM

Joys of Fungicide, Bliss of Insecticide!

It's amazing the variety of rose-eating insects that has emerged in my
garden after two months of NOT spraying. Between the blackspot and
canker damage, the vole damage, and the insect damage, I am lucky to
have anything left at all. What amazes me is that they can recover so
quickly after some four years of constant Orthenex use. A good
indication of who or what is really going to inherit the earth one
day, I think. I had fun yesterday going to Baldo's site and
identifying the horde. Sadly, no beneficials among them except my
ever-present ladybugs and one new addition: the kind of soldier
beetles that eat aphids.

We have sun forcast for several days for the first time in a long
while. Tomorrow I spray! Yippee! I'm taking my roses back!

elfa 05-07-2003 12:32 AM

Joys of Fungicide, Bliss of Insecticide!

In article m,
says...

It's amazing the variety of rose-eating insects that has emerged in my
garden after two months of NOT spraying. Between the blackspot and
canker damage, the vole damage, and the insect damage, I am lucky to
have anything left at all. What amazes me is that they can recover so
quickly after some four years of constant Orthenex use. A good
indication of who or what is really going to inherit the earth one
day, I think. I had fun yesterday going to Baldo's site and
identifying the horde. Sadly, no beneficials among them except my
ever-present ladybugs and one new addition: the kind of soldier
beetles that eat aphids.

We have sun forcast for several days for the first time in a long
while. Tomorrow I spray! Yippee! I'm taking my roses back!

I just switched to Orthenex ( a recent gift from my sister). I was spraying
Ortho's Isotox for insect control and spraying Neem oil for fungus control every
2 weeks. They both worked well. So far, no aphids or insects of any kind for
that matter. I seem to have gotten blackspot under control also (so
far...NONE). I hope Orthenex does the same.

elfa

Shiva 05-07-2003 08:56 PM

On 4 Jul 2003 16:03:50 -0700, elfa wrote:

I just switched to Orthenex ( a recent gift from my sister). I was spraying
Ortho's Isotox for insect control and spraying Neem oil for fungus control every
2 weeks. They both worked well.

Hi there, Elfa! Will you remind me of where you are? If you are near
me and Isotox and Neem worked for you, I wonder if they would work for
me? As an alternate to my Orthenex? As for you, do be sure to use eye
protection. I thnk you will be pleased with Orthenex.

So far, no aphids or insects of any kind for
that matter. I seem to have gotten blackspot under control also (so
far...NONE). I hope Orthenex does the same.

Man, you are having a much better year than I am. Tell us more, and
post pics! I will post them for you if you don't have a way to.

elfa

elfa 05-07-2003 10:20 PM

[...]

I'm in the San Francisco area....zone 9?
I'll take some pics and post them to my meager website.

elfa

Shiva 05-07-2003 11:20 PM

On 5 Jul 2003 13:55:08 -0700, elfa wrote:

I'm in the San Francisco area....zone 9?

Aha! Rose paradise. That's why you have had a better year!

I'll take some pics and post them to my meager website.

elfa

Excellent. I will look forward to them.