Old 05-07-2003, 04:32 AM
Pat

Default help w/ cuthbert grant

I have read lots of pasts and I hope someone can help us. I planted 2
Cuthbert Grant roses last year and 2 Winnipeg Parks this year and they were
beautiful. I didn't trim them at all because I read the first year you are
supposed to let them concentrate on getting good roots. This year the
Cuthberts started out amazing as did the Winnipeg Parks. I trimmed the dead
blooms off and now I have nothing. All four were fertilized in the spring
with a pellet type fertilizer I worked into the soil and you are supposed to
do it every two months. I also gave them some miraclegro for roses last
week just to see if it would help. I water them 3 times a week with a slow
running hose for about ten minutes per bush as I was told this promotes deep
roots. I live in zone 3 in southern Manitoba and it has been a hot and
sunny summer so far. They roses get full sun morning to nite.

These are my first attempts at roses so any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance

Old 05-07-2003, 05:56 AM
Cass

Pat wrote:

[...]

Pat, it sounds like you're doing everything fine. Are the roses
growing? Some roses will produce their flowers in flushes with a rest
in between. Your plants are very young, and sometimes it can take a
couple of years for a rose to really take off.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:28 AM
Charles Perry

Pat wrote:

. I trimmed the dead
blooms off and now I have nothing.

Cuthbert blooms in flushes. If the canes make it through the winter there is an
astounding first flush. Then the bush takes a short rest. After a week or two
of resting, new growth should begin to appear where you have trimmed back the
bush. Some of this new growth will produce flowers, but now where near the
quantity of the first flush. I get a third flush of blooms in the fall that is
a little better than the mid summer flush. There is also the odd flower that
pops up from time to time, usually at the end of a basal shoot or strong
lateral.

The first and second summer my Cuthbert blooms were more spread out because the
bush was establishing itself and the growth pattern was erratic.

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **

Old 05-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Travis

Pat wrote:
[...]

Are you cutting off the spent blooms down to a 5 segment leaf?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 05-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Anne Lurie

Pat, when you say you have nothing left after trimming deadheading Cuthbert
Grant, did you mean you don't see any more buds, or that there aren't any
leaves left either? (After trying in vain to find an outward-growing 5-leaf
cluster)

I thought at first you meant the latter -- which is scary, but if you
don't see more buds, but the plant still looks healthy, I'd advise patience.

Fortunately, the only non-continuous-blooming rose I've planted is Purple
Passion -- and its foliage is so abundant & attractive that it was clear
that the plant itself is fine (and working on a new flush). This rose
business (addiction) is really new to me, so I mistakenly thought that all
the roses I acquired would continuously -- t'aint so!

Ah, yes, southern Manitoba -- many, many years ago, I lived on an Air
Force Base in North Dakota, and Winnipeg was *the place* to visit (except we
Americans weren't familiar with "municipal" holidays, sigh.....)

With fond memories of Assiniboine Park (sp?), I wish you good luck with your
roses, and keep us posted.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC
zone 7b

Old 06-07-2003, 04:08 AM
Pat

Thanx to everyone for the help
The bushes look beautiful, just no buds.
I will wait for the second flush, (not patiently) but it is so hard because
I went on holidays for four days and came home to the most beautiful rose
bushes I have ever seen and I want them all summer.

Once again thanx so much to everyone, I am sure I will be asking a question
again soon.
. com...

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

MyNetResearch Grant Awards Competition 2009 Arin280 Plant Science 0 09-07-2009 04:56 PM
$1 million grant for new gardening center [email protected] Gardening 0 30-11-2006 07:40 PM
Any grant programs for xeriscaping in my area huerochingon Gardening 3 06-06-2005 11:17 PM
HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM