Old 05-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Ali

Default cuttings in july?

Hi,

Since I'm moving, and it's looking like moving whole rose bushes aren't
going to be practical, I wondered if it was okay to root a few cuttings to
take with me. Would they survive in this heat, and what sort of pieces
should I cut?

They're not particularly rare or anything like that. A New Dawn, Mix 'n
Match (I think) and a pink rugosa. All of them are at the ratty end of their
first flush. Any tips on taking a few pieces?

Ali

Old 05-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Cass

Ali wrote:

Since I'm moving, and it's looking like moving whole rose bushes aren't
going to be practical, I wondered if it was okay to root a few cuttings to
take with me. Would they survive in this heat, and what sort of pieces
should I cut?

They're not particularly rare or anything like that. A New Dawn, Mix 'n
Match (I think) and a pink rugosa. All of them are at the ratty end of their
first flush. Any tips on taking a few pieces?

July is a great time to root cuttings. Look at the American Rose
Society website,http://www.ars.org and check out the articles about
propagation at http://www.ars.org/explore.cfm/propagation/

New Dawn is widely available. It might be easier to buy a new plant.
There is enough to do with moving....
Old 06-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Ali

You may be right, Cass, on the New Dawn, though I do hate having to buy a
rose twice, especially since it was gotten just two years ago. I'd consider
digging it up, but we want to leave something for the future owners of the
house we're leaving. So it's been a lot of dividing and potting the last few
weeks. Ugh.

Maybe I'll make some cuttings still, for practice. Can't hurt, right? And if
they don't survive, well I'll buy a new one some time. Maybe the Iceberg
rose we'd really wanted instead of New Dawn.

Thanks for the link. It's a great set of articles.

Ali
.. .

Old 06-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Cass

Ali wrote:

You may be right, Cass, on the New Dawn, though I do hate having to buy a
rose twice, especially since it was gotten just two years ago. I'd consider
digging it up, but we want to leave something for the future owners of the
house we're leaving. So it's been a lot of dividing and potting the last few
weeks. Ugh.

Maybe I'll make some cuttings still, for practice. Can't hurt, right? And if
they don't survive, well I'll buy a new one some time.

Best idea. And with moving, I highly recommend the oasis method. You
can put a cutting in oasis and keep it on the kitchen sink, dousing it
every time you think about it. Some roses take months and months to
root, but isolated from soil and living on a countertop, they don't get
much fungal disease.

Maybe the Iceberg rose we'd really wanted instead of New Dawn.

Ali, Iceberg is a great rose, easy to grow, flushes every 3 weeks,
grows great on its own roots. But...but...New Dawn has a beauty that
Iceberg can't approach. So I think you should grow both.

Ali
.. .

Old 08-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Ali

Maybe I'll make some cuttings still, for practice. Can't hurt, right?

And if
they don't survive, well I'll buy a new one some time.

Best idea. And with moving, I highly recommend the oasis method. You
can put a cutting in oasis and keep it on the kitchen sink, dousing it
every time you think about it. Some roses take months and months to
root, but isolated from soil and living on a countertop, they don't get
much fungal disease.

I think it would be a good one to try, as I could take them into work and
babysit them there. (I'm my own boss, so no issues of janitors and staff
rules to get in the way) And with it being at work, it's one less set of
plants I'll have to move with all the others come the day.

Maybe the Iceberg rose we'd really wanted instead of New Dawn.

Ali, Iceberg is a great rose, easy to grow, flushes every 3 weeks,
grows great on its own roots. But...but...New Dawn has a beauty that
Iceberg can't approach. So I think you should grow both.

The New Dawn really was quite gorgeous this year. We'd gotten a clematis
from the nursary to twine with it, but instead of getting the purple we
wanted, it was white! Pain in the rear, since the clematis I'm told are so
hard to move and keep alive. I digress though: If we manage to close on
the place we're looking at, I'll have the room to! There's a really nice
rail fence on one side that'd be perfect for trailing roses over. I'm not
looking forward to the work, but it's fun having a new canvas to work with,
so to speak.

Thanks again!

Ali

Rock elm cuttings no go, but sour cherry cuttings are going [email protected] Plant Science 0 15-08-2008 07:15 AM
[IBC] Bonsai Chat July 14 Jim Bonsai 0 13-07-2003 04:08 PM
[IBC] Bonsai Chat July 7 Jim Bonsai 0 06-07-2003 03:01 PM
4th of July Theo question Cass Roses 0 14-03-2003 03:44 PM
4th of July Venu Shelat Roses 3 14-03-2003 01:32 PM