GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Suggested Cultivar for wedding? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/35559-suggested-cultivar-wedding.html)

Jim W 05-07-2003 08:44 PM

Suggested Cultivar for wedding?

Hi can anyone suggest a good rose cultivar as a wedding gift for the
following situation.

To grow in a container on a balcony, (2nd or third floor) in Bristol UK

Regards
//
Jim

Tim Tompkins 05-07-2003 09:20 PM

Suggested Cultivar for wedding?

Hi Jim,

How about "Love"? It is a red with white reverse and does not grow to be a
large bush, floribunda as I recall.
I presume it is available in the UK as it is older variety whose patent has
expired and should be available world wide.

Tim

news:1fxn5n9.u7j7pkm5cpbpN%00senetnospamtodayta@ma cunlimited.net...

Jim W 05-07-2003 10:44 PM

Tim Tompkins wrote:

Hi Jim,

How about "Love"? It is a red with white reverse and does not grow to be a
large bush, floribunda as I recall.
I presume it is available in the UK as it is older variety whose patent has
expired and should be available world wide.

Tim

Hi.. thanks for that...

I couldn't find an exact match (at least not yet!) but found a similar
name.. I will have to do a little more research to find out if it 'is'
the one you mention... Closest I found was "Love Token" but not sure
whether thats just another sales name or a different cultivar
altogether.

I will wait a bit to see if anyone else has any suggestions;-)

Cheers
//
Jim

Royal Horticultural Society - RHS Plant Finder

http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder...=Rosa%20and%20
Love&Genus=Rosa
Saturday, July 5, 2003

Rosa

Baby Love = 'Scrivluv' (PBR) (yellow) (Min/Patio) (H4)
3 supplier(s)

'Climbing My Love' (ClHT)
last listed in 1999

'First Love' (HT)
1 supplier(s)

Guernsey Love = 'Troblove' (Min)
last listed in 1999

I Love You = 'Geelove' (HT)
1 supplier(s)

'Lady Love '95' (Patio)
last listed in 2002

Love Knot = 'Chewglorious' (PBR) (ClMin)
6 supplier(s)

'Love Token' (F)
2 supplier(s)

Mother's Love = 'Tinlove' (Min)
last listed in 2001

My Love = 'Cogamo' (HT)
1 supplier(s)

Our Love = 'Andour' (HT)
3 supplier(s)

Summer Love = 'Franluv' (F)
last listed in 2002

With Love = 'Andwit' (HT)
2 supplier(s)

Cass 06-07-2003 12:56 AM

Jim W wrote:

Hi can anyone suggest a good rose cultivar as a wedding gift for the
following situation.

To grow in a container on a balcony, (2nd or third floor) in Bristol UK

So the balcony has a southern exposure? I'd give my eye teeth to have
Harkness roses...how about Calliope:

http://www.roses.co.uk/rose/flori/calliope.htm

or Great Expectations (through Cocker on this website)
http://www.roses.uk.com/rosedet.cfm?roseid=345

Or The Lady, which was beautiful at St. Albans.

Or how about a Cocker rose, Heart of Gold:

http://www.roses.uk.com/rosedet2.cfm?roseid=473

Are you going to supply the pot? It sometimes costs more than the rose.
Get a large one - 15 gallon minimum.

--
-=-
Cass

Jim W 13-08-2003 11:02 AM

Cass wrote:

Jim W wrote:

Hi can anyone suggest a good rose cultivar as a wedding gift for the
following situation.

To grow in a container on a balcony, (2nd or third floor) in Bristol UK

So the balcony has a southern exposure? I'd give my eye teeth to have
Harkness roses...how about Calliope:

http://www.roses.co.uk/rose/flori/calliope.htm

or Great Expectations (through Cocker on this website)
http://www.roses.uk.com/rosedet.cfm?roseid=345

Or The Lady, which was beautiful at St. Albans.

Or how about a Cocker rose, Heart of Gold:

http://www.roses.uk.com/rosedet2.cfm?roseid=473

Are you going to supply the pot? It sometimes costs more than the rose.
Get a large one - 15 gallon minimum.

Following on from this old post-)...

The balcony actually has a western aspect (gets the sun in the evening)
so mebbe a rose not so great an idea.. ???

Any comment on this tho?

//
North London, England, UK