GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   my plants are lunch (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/35706-my-plants-lunch.html)

Betty 07-07-2003 02:45 AM

my plants are lunch

HELP!!!!!!! Something is eating the petals of my petunias in my window
boxes. I cannot see what it is but I can tell you my flowers look terrible.
Then off to my roses. I just planted them last week and already the ants
have drilled holes into the stems. These are the stems that were trimmed
last fall however I am fearful the whole rose bush will be next. Any help
you folks have will be appreciated greatly. Thank you, Betty

Tim Tompkins 07-07-2003 02:32 PM

my plants are lunch

What area of the country are you in?

The pests vary by region, the best source of information is probably your
County Agricultural extension service.

Tim

J. Del Col 07-07-2003 08:32 PM

my plants are lunch

"Betty" wrote in message ...
HELP!!!!!!! Something is eating the petals of my petunias in my window
boxes. I cannot see what it is but I can tell you my flowers look terrible.
Then off to my roses. I just planted them last week and already the ants
have drilled holes into the stems....

This is -not- the work of ants.

The usual suspects are several species of wasps.

J. Del Col

FOW 08-07-2003 01:06 AM

my plants are lunch

Sounds like worms. Or Grubs.Get some BT and spray them.
Can't spell this but here goes : Baccsiliss Theringis. That's what BT is.
Ask your Nurseryman.

J. Del Col 11-07-2003 03:56 PM

my plants are lunch

"FOW" wrote in message ...
Sounds like worms. Or Grubs.Get some BT and spray them.
Can't spell this but here goes : Baccsiliss Theringis. That's what BT is.
Ask your Nurseryman.

As I said, this is the work of twig boring wasps. They eat their way
into the cane and lay their eggs in it. I've watched them do it. BT
is useless against
them.

Sealing the end of the newly cut cane with Elmer's glue will deter
them, so will carbolated vaseline. (it's available at any drugstore.)

J. Del Col