Old 10-07-2003, 07:17 PM
Radika Kesavan

Default Spray Cecile Brunner Cecile Brunner (Cl)

dave weil wrote:
In the interest of reporting, I just wanted to note that my CB(CL) has
been in continuous bloom since the onset of blooms. That's been about
3 months now. I had the first really big flush back in May, but there
have always been more than just scattered blooms on the plant. I had a
pretty good sized "second flush" that included throwing 2 huge
panticles directly from the base of the plant (not off of a stem).
Here's a pic of it, although it's a bit difficult to see. First is on
May 5th and you can see them growing on the right side (the red
stems):

http://mywpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/CB1.jpg

A week later:

http://mywpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/CB2.jpg

Then, almost in full bloom the second week of June:

http://mywpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/CBJune8.jpg

Other than that bloom, I've always had lots of clusters higher up. As
some fade, others open (and I haven't trimmed any of them up in the
tree, basically because it wold be a pain in the ass...)

I just mention this because this is the first year that I've seen this
(third year). The first two, I only got a very scattered set of blooms
after the flush (and long stretches with *no* blooms). I wonder if
there *are* indeed nonreblooming and reblooming versions, or if the
reporting of nonreblooming plants is just those observing young
specimens. Anybody with experience in this area?

Yes, quite, in both.

It is hard to tell from the first picture, but it is very clear in the
second. your CB blooms are coming out in long panicles, aren't they.
That is a characteristic of the Spray form of CB, not the Climber.

I have grown a Spray Cecile Brunner for nine years now, and it behaved
as though it was almost a non-rebloomer and its first three years, and
now, it is apretty consistent remontant rose. And the tell-tale sign is
that the blossoms come out in those long and lovely panicles.

There is a rather healthy specimen of real Climbing Cecile Brunner at
the Heritage Garden in San Jose, it is HUGE and perhaps about 8 years
old. This one is very different from the Spray Cecile Brunner in the
blossoms blooming like a normal rose, not in those long and lovely
panicles. Also, this rose does what climbing CB is famous for: a HUGE
explosion of blossoms in the first flush, then throws out blossoms in
onesies and twosies and may twentysies for the rest of the growing season.

Whereas the Spray Cecile Brunner gives a minimum of four distinct and
large flushes in our garden, though the first one is the largest and the
subsequent ones slighlty smaller.

Also, I *wa*s going to ask what I should have done with those
panticles as they've been bare for about 3 weeks now. I was hesitant
to cut them because they didn't grow like a normal cane, and I've now
been rewarded with new growth coming directly out of the fan of canes
at the tip. If they all generate new canes, then I'm going to be
overwhelmed with new growth! The only downside is that they will all
be fairly small diameter canes supported by one BIG HONKIN' basal.
Still, might work well for covering the trunk of the tree.

You can shape the Spray Cecile Brunner anyway you like, as long as you
leave it a large bush. I leave those canes alone, and yes, more growth
comes out of the tips, unless they get in my husband's way when he mows
the lawn. I have told him that this is one rose where he can cut off any
cane that tries to scratch him without consulting me first, for Spray CB
is an exuberant grower anyway. Besides, the thorns on this rose are
cruelly curved downwards and tear the flesh very effectively, so the
bush needs to be contained.

When the bush was younger, I made the mistake of pruning and defoliating
(in our climate, some polyanthas remain evergreen). After Kim Rupert, a
trusted Rose-Breeder pointed out that this is a silly thing to do with a
bush that never wants to lose its leaves, I have been leaving the Spray
CB alone as far as winter pruning goes. The reward is that I get almost
continuous onset of distinct flushes on this rose.

Just thought I'd throw this out for the record...

Entertaining report which I enjoyed and your observations coincide with
mine.

--
Radika
California

ISO Cecile Bruner bush in Denver Tom Steele Roses 2 13-05-2005 12:12 AM
CL Cecile Brunner Growth habit? Rachel Roses 3 19-04-2005 10:28 PM
poor Cl. Cecile Brunner! Sis Roses 2 29-05-2004 07:02 AM
Spray Cecile Brunner Cecile Brunner (Cl) Radika Kesavan Roses 15 12-07-2003 05:32 AM
Cecile Brunner (Cl) dave weil Roses 1 10-07-2003 04:33 PM