Old 14-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Hydrogen peroxide for blackspot spores?

"J. Del Col" wrote in message
m...
Take care handling 27% H2O2; it can cause corneal burns if it
gets in the eyes. I'd use goggles and rubber gloves. It isn't
poisonous, but it -can- burn skin and mucous membranes.

For anyone wondering how in the world you could get stuff like that in your
eyes, here's a recent scenario that actually happened to me (fortunately for
me, I try to *always* wear sunglasses after suffering a corneal scratch
while shearing a Scotch Pine on my Christmas tree farm): I had
inadvertently overfilled a small sprayer with Orthonex solution -- note to
self, mark the doggone "fill level" with paint!

The sprayer *seemed* to be too full for me to pump up, so I unscrewed the
cap so I could pour out some liquid......... As soon as I got the cap
unscrewed, some liquid came out all right -- spurting directly into my
face from 2 or 3 feet away! At that point, I did the logical thing: I
swore I'd never do anything outside again without wearing eye protection;
took a long, hot shower; and tucked myself in bed for a nap!

My point: don't think "it can never happen to me"....... because it can.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 15-07-2003, 02:02 AM
Henry

elfa wrote:

Apparently Neem oil is some extract from a tree located in India.

From the Neem tree, no less. More scientifically known as Azadirachta
indica.

--
Henry

Old 18-07-2003, 02:48 AM
Richard

Daniel Hanna wrote in
home.com.au:

In m Anne Lurie wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, hydrogen peroxide is NOT synonymous with
hydrogen dioxide -- any more than carbon monoxide can be equated
with carbon dioxide!!!

Anne, you're right. Hydrogen dioxide is simply water - H20. Hydrogen
PERoxide is H202, i.e. one hydrogen per each oxygen atom. It
biodegrades to water plus oxygen quite easily.

If you want to know more, follow this boring link :-)
http://www.h2o2.com/intro/overview.html

Water is not hydrogen dioxide - H2O has only a single oxygen - dioxide
would inidcate 2 oxygens.

Hydrogen dioxide is the same as hydrogen peroxide - peroxide indicates that
the oxygens are bound to each other in an O-O bond - just a fancier way of
labeling it in hopes that the shopper won't realize they can get it a
Walgreens for a tenth of the cost.