Old 22-07-2003, 04:50 AM
Henry

Default roses for a hedge?

dave weil wrote:

How big is yours at the moment? And how old?

The seeds were collected in the fall of 1996 and planted in the ground
the following spring so I guess they are six years old. They don't get
as much sun as yours does (there is no place in my yard that doesn't get
some shade during the day). I also keep mine from becoming too large by
using hedge clippers on them after they bloom. Even so, they are about
8 to 10 feet tall and wide. I don't really know how many there are but
I would say at least 8 or 10 plants put in much too close to each other.
A rabbit would have a difficult time getting through this hedge. If
they were spaced six feet apart they'd extend well into the shadier part
of the yard. As it is, the hedge is only 15 or 20 feet long.

--
Henry

Old 23-07-2003, 04:12 AM
J. Del Col

"Kellie J. Berger" wrote in message ...
If you had to pick some roses to make a long hedge (probably w/o a
supporting fence), and wanted something w/o much maintenance, what would
you choose? Oh... In Houston TX zone 8/9, don't care if it has thorns or
not, repeat blooms and/or fast growing would be nice, but not necessary.

Been following the CB thread with interest, but not sure that would work w/o
a fence.

The classic hedgerows of Normandy, France are made of R. canina.
Planted closely and allowed to grow for decades, they could literally
stop an army, as
the GI's found out as they tried to break out of the Normandy
beachhead.

The fighting in the "bocage" was vicious and bloody until somebody
figured out
how to fit a tank with a kind of cutter bar that was used to uproot
the hedgerows and allow easy passage of troops and tanks.

Just a little historical highlight.

J. Del Col

Old 23-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Shiva

J. Del Col wrote:

The classic hedgerows of Normandy, France are made of R. canina.
Planted closely and allowed to grow for decades, they could literally
stop an army, as
the GI's found out as they tried to break out of the Normandy
beachhead.

The fighting in the "bocage" was vicious and bloody until somebody
figured out how to fit a tank with a kind of cutter bar that was used to uproot
the hedgerows and allow easy passage of troops and tanks.

Just a little historical highlight.

Very nice. Can you direct me to a photo of this rose in a hedge? If you have one handy?

J. Del Col

Old 23-07-2003, 06:02 PM
dave weil

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:25:15 -0400 (EDT), "Shiva"
wrote:

J. Del Col wrote:

The classic hedgerows of Normandy, France are made of R. canina.
Planted closely and allowed to grow for decades, they could literally
stop an army, as
the GI's found out as they tried to break out of the Normandy
beachhead.

The fighting in the "bocage" was vicious and bloody until somebody
figured out how to fit a tank with a kind of cutter bar that was used to uproot
the hedgerows and allow easy passage of troops and tanks.

Just a little historical highlight.

Very nice. Can you direct me to a photo of this rose in a hedge? If you have one handy?

If you're being threatened by tanks, Shiva, I'd suggest building some
tank traps as well...

Also, a few outposts of TOW missiles a mile or so out will help as
well.
Old 23-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Anne Lurie

Shiva,

Here are a few pix of Rosa Canina:

http://www.arborea.se/roscan.htm

http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk/dogrose01big.html

http://botany.cs.tamu.edu/FLORA/schoepke/Pio00592.jpg

I have to confess that one of the coolest things I saw when I image-googled
for "rosa canina" was a nice little hotel/restaurant in Austria! (At least
I assume it was in Austria; the URL ended in ".at" and the text was in
German (except for the link labeled "Slow Down"!)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.7f0dbcd5cd8d003bcc82495370817304 @1058973915.cotse.net...

Old 24-07-2003, 06:43 AM
Radika Kesavan

J. Del Col wrote:

Just a little historical highlight.

Absolutely fascinating. Thanks for the education!

--
Radika
California

Old 25-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Shiva

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:00:55 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

Re Rosa Canina:

Very nice. Can you direct me to a photo of this rose in a hedge? If you have one handy?

If you're being threatened by tanks, Shiva, I'd suggest building some
tank traps as well...

G Thanks, Dave, it is nice to be back home. And, yes, I do believe
that if some of my detractors had tanks I might have a problem.
However, the reason I wanted to see a picture is to figure out why it
is called a "dog rose." Do you know?

Old 25-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Shiva

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:09:21 GMT, "Anne Lurie"
wrote:

Shiva,

Here are a few pix of Rosa Canina:

[snip]

Thanks, Anne!! I love the hips, it might be worth growing just for
these!

Roses In Hedge? Peterllewellyn Roses 7 29-09-2010 01:03 PM
Can I trim a beech hedge with a petrol hedge cutter? smileygonzo1961 United Kingdom 22 28-09-2008 12:50 AM
Twiggy Hedge Roses Lew Roses 1 06-08-2004 05:04 PM
Twiggy Hedge Roses Lew Roses 0 06-08-2004 02:25 PM
Twiggy Hedge Roses Lew Roses 0 06-08-2004 02:25 PM