Old 15-07-2003, 04:12 AM
Kevin

Default shrub roses for missouri?

Hi all! I was wondering about some information about shrub roses that
do well in MO... I believe I'm in zone 6A, but don't hold me to it-
it's St. Louis anyway.

I read somewhere about the old standby Rugosa, and planted one.

It's going crazy. In 2 years it has several little plants growing
about a foot away from the mother plant (sorry- don't know the
terminology) and I'm thinking about diggin' 'em up and transplanting
them. Stop me if I shouldn't....

What else would you recommend? I figure I should ask the experts....
The Rugosa is Pink, and would love to frame it with maybe white? 2 ft
tall? Would love suggestions... I'd prefer no tea's, as they take a
bit more work than I care to put in.

Also, if you have any basic suggestions as to the Rugosa, let me know.
Fertilizer? Pinch back spent blooms? Pruning? The blooms are kinda at
the top of the plant- can I get it to bloom sorta all over? Dumb
questions, all. Bear with me.

And thanks for your time.
Kevin
Old 15-07-2003, 05:04 PM
dave weil

On 14 Jul 2003 19:04:26 -0700, (Kevin) wrote:

[...]

A good shrublet worth considering, even though it's yellow and not
white, is Baby Love. It blooms continuously throught the season, keeps
it's lower leaves so it retains the bush shape and is very resistant
to diseases. To keep it blooming, you should deadhead it constantly,
which an be a little time consuming because it throws a *lot* of
blooms. But that time spent will reward you in the long run. Usually,
I'm picking off 10 to 20 spent blooms a day, so it doesn't take long,
just contant daily stuff.

Here's a pic taken in May 2002, a month or so after planting:

http://mywpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/BabyLove1.jpg

The same plant in Sept. of the same year:

http://mywpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/BabyLove2.jpg

Pretty vigorous grower, eh?

And now, just a few weeks ago:

http://mywpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/BabyLove.jpg

I'd say that it's almost 4 feet tall and very full and rounded.

Here's the 911 on the plant with some nice closeups of blossoms:

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=495

They call it a miniature, but I think that most people are calling it
a "shrublet", which is a fairly new term for a managable-sized shrub
with small blooms. Also, I have rampant blackspot, but this has barely
been touched, although this site says that it's susceptable. I haven't
found that to be the case here in Nashville (Zone 6b).

Old 15-07-2003, 06:02 PM
dave weil

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:45:27 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

[...]

Oh yeah, meant to add that this was an own root J&P metal tagged shrub
in a gallon container.
Old 15-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Theo Asir

Hi Kevin,

I live in Kansas City.
Where ats in St Louis are you.
I know that south county is in the
Zone 6a region but the west & north
sides of STL are 5b.

Rugosas are known to love our climate.
Esp. with some sun. Rugosa's can be repeat
blooming if you dead head them regularly.
If the bush is getting too big, get a hedge trimmer
don't worry this is one tough rose. That how I keep
mine under 5' so I can get at all the blooms.

Your climate and soil are perfect for growing
many many care free roses. I would recommend
some Hybrid Musks. Prosterity is a tough White
with wonderful scent. Grows to be a 5' shrub.

Or how about penelope another great scented rose.

Another carefree white is Alba Meidiland. Shade
tolerant too. Or Darlows Enigma.

Note that many of these roses are only available
through mail order but once established they will
outlive you.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City