GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Newbie rose question - Houston area (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/37555-newbie-rose-question-houston-area.html)

bberry 20-07-2003 04:12 AM

Newbie rose question - Houston area

I planted various types of roses over the past few months. Most of the
period was very dry, but the last few weeks have been wet,
culminatring with Tropical Storm Claudette.

Many of my roses have come out of this wet period with yellow leaves
in the lower half but vigorous top growth. Is this something to do
with sudden moisture changes?

Cass 20-07-2003 04:42 PM

bberry wrote:

I planted various types of roses over the past few months. Most of the
period was very dry, but the last few weeks have been wet,
culminatring with Tropical Storm Claudette.

Many of my roses have come out of this wet period with yellow leaves
in the lower half but vigorous top growth. Is this something to do
with sudden moisture changes?

How's the drainage where they're planted? And were they well watered
before the rain?

Mark. Gooley 20-07-2003 10:01 PM

"bberry" wrote in message

I planted various types of roses over the past few months. Most of the
period was very dry, but the last few weeks have been wet,
culminatring with Tropical Storm Claudette.

Many of my roses have come out of this wet period with yellow leaves
in the lower half but vigorous top growth. Is this something to do
with sudden moisture changes?

Do the yellowing leaves have dark spots? Could be black spot fungus,
which tends to persist in fallen leaves, get splashed onto lower leaves
of a bush, and requires many hours of wet leaves to get established.

I have had that problem after long rainy spells, and it's had me breaking
out the fungicidal sprays...

Mark., zone 8b, n. Peninsula Florida