Old 23-07-2003, 12:09 AM
Algolrave

Default Do rose blossoms come in two colors?

Can you help me? I need to know are all rose blossoms mono-colored? Do any
rose blossoms come in two colors? Any species of rose? If so, which one? Any
help or advice would be appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely yours,
Rick Logan
(Primary)
(Secondary)
Old 23-07-2003, 12:09 AM
Tim Tompkins

How do you mean two colors?

There are roses with red on the inside of the bloom with a white reverse,
"Double Delight" comes to mind as well as "Love". There are blooms with
stripes, blooms with a gradation of color on the petals. Some go through a
color shift or change as they open and mature. Others have 'eyes', where
the center is different than the outer portion of the petals.

Are you looking for something specific in a color combination? Perhaps a
wager with someone?

Tim

Old 23-07-2003, 02:42 AM
James Curts

My one and only rose has medium sized bright red flowers with the outer row
of petals being almost black with a lacey effect. Guess that is why I keep
it around.

Jim

Old 23-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Shiva

James Curts wrote:

My one and only rose has medium sized bright red flowers with the outer row
of petals being almost black with a lacey effect. Guess that is why I keep
it around.

Jim

Okay, I'll bite. What is the name of this rose? If you don't know, how about a pic?

Old 23-07-2003, 06:02 PM
James Curts

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.7cebfae42a4c68f10d0c8e4c97b94fe6 @1058973848.cotse.net...
Okay, I'll bite. What is the name of this rose? If you don't know, how

about a pic?

I call it Old Buddy. The neighbors calls it a stickery SOB. The grand kids
won't get near it and call it Old Meany.

It came into being a couple or three generations ago and I do not know the
source although it may have come here in a steamer trunk from Ireland. When
we moved to a new home I just sliced into the root with a shovel and stuffed
the chunk in a bucket where it wintered.

I do not have a picture of it. The first setting of flowers has very
pronounced black lacey weave in the outer row of petals and as the season
progresses the black seems to become less pronounced until in the fall the
flowers are just red and not nearly so brilliant.

The folks at the garden club just sort of snort and go back to muttering
about whatever those types mutter about. So no help there.

The neighbor ladies always want one of the early flowers and I tell them to
help themselves. Seldom do they get one as the thorns do a great defensive
job. One old crone comes each spring and never says a word. Just pulls on
her leather gauntlets and hacks off a flower and grins real big and wanders
back home. She also occasionally leaves a large pail of raspberries in the
garage and still without saying a word.

My grandmother and then my father fell in love with this rose and I guess it
just sort of rubbed off on me. Just some the Irish nostalgia I guess.

I really need to get a camera. Just sold a Canon Elan II that I wasn't smart
enough to operate. Been looking at a couple of digital cameras but haven't
splurged yet.

Take care and keep the pretty side up (er, on the flowers too).

Jim

Old 23-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Cass

In article AfyTa.114494$GL4.30129@rwcrnsc53, James Curts
wrote:

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.7cebfae42a4c68f10d0c8e4c97b94fe6 @1058973848.cotse.net...
Okay, I'll bite. What is the name of this rose? If you don't know, how

about a pic?

I call it Old Buddy. The neighbors calls it a stickery SOB. The grand kids
won't get near it and call it Old Meany.

It came into being a couple or three generations ago and I do not know the
source although it may have come here in a steamer trunk from Ireland. When
we moved to a new home I just sliced into the root with a shovel and stuffed
the chunk in a bucket where it wintered.

I do not have a picture of it. The first setting of flowers has very
pronounced black lacey weave in the outer row of petals and as the season
progresses the black seems to become less pronounced until in the fall the
flowers are just red and not nearly so brilliant.

Does it look like this:
http://www.rosefog.us/Roseoftheday/ThorOct02.jpg
Old 23-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Gail Futoran

"Algolrave" wrote in message
Can you help me? I need to know are all rose blossoms

mono-colored? Do any
rose blossoms come in two colors? Any species of rose? If

so, which one? Any
help or advice would be appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely yours,
Rick Logan
(Primary)
(Secondary)

I have over 135 roses, few repeats, and *very*
few with single-colored blooms. Rose blooms
come striped (2 or 3 colors), they come with
different colors on the different sides of the petals,
and so on. Many rose blooms change color
as they age. If you want to find specific color
combinations, go to this web site and do a Custom
Search of their rose lists on color(s):
http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/rosetest.html

They even list the possible colors and all you
have to do is check a box or boxes. There are
way too many roses for anyone here to list all
possibilities of bi-colored & multi-colored roses.

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 23-07-2003, 07:32 PM
James Curts

"Cass" wrote in message
.. .
Does it look like this:
http://www.rosefog.us/Roseoftheday/ThorOct02.jpg

Why, yes, it does look quite similar to the photo although most of the black
is on the outer petals. The blooms coming on now are not so distinct so
can't give a real comparison.

The photo is very close though but without the pinkish tinges near the
center (or perhaps that is just the lighting).

Jim

Old 23-07-2003, 07:42 PM
James Curts

"Cass" wrote in message
.. .

Does it look like this:
http://www.rosefog.us/Roseoftheday/ThorOct02.jpg

Also, as the season progresses and new growth and blooms come on the thorns
become much less prominent as do the colors. It's almost like the plant does
it's best to please at first and then just teases along so I'll water and
feed it.

Jim

Old 23-07-2003, 08:22 PM
James Curts

.. .
wrote:

"Shiva" wrote in message

[...]

I went out and took a 2 day old bloom from that rose and there is a slight
pinkish tint in some of the inner petals when held to the light.

Jim

Old 23-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Anne Lurie

Rick,

Admittedly, I'm a newbie to growing roses, and I'll be lucky to ever learn
as much as some people who post have forgotten, as the saying goes -- but
I almost think your question should the converse: "Are all rose blossoms
multi-colored?"

Some roses are obviously multi-colored, like Double Delight, which to me
resembles vanilla ice cream dipped in raspberry sauce!

Others are different shades of the same color family (somebody help me out
here, my descriptive powers are failing!)

Then, there are roses like Queen Elizabeth -- a visiting friend ID'd that
one for me right away. She pointed out the growth habit, number of petals,
etc. but the thing that struck me was that QE is pink....... pink as a bud,
pink when open, the same color from the center to the outside. (At least
mine is, maybe it's supposed to be different, but don't rain on my parade by
telling me that, folks!)

BTW, I'm really curious -- why did you ask in the first place?

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 24-07-2003, 08:02 AM
Cass

In article %CzTa.128064$Ph3.16765@sccrnsc04, James Curts
wrote:

"Cass" wrote in message
.. .
Does it look like this:
http://www.rosefog.us/Roseoftheday/ThorOct02.jpg

Why, yes, it does look quite similar to the photo although most of the black
is on the outer petals. The blooms coming on now are not so distinct so
can't give a real comparison.

The photo is very close though but without the pinkish tinges near the
center (or perhaps that is just the lighting).

The pink toward the center is a reflection. Here's the deal on this
rose: early in the season, mine is quite rosey red with a wild white
stripe every once in a while:

http://www.rosefog.us/imagesJtoZ/UnknownRedCl.jpg

Then as the season progresses, they get darker and larger, up to 5 or 6
inches across, like the first bloom shot in October.

How about scent? Does Old Meany have scent? This rose has a vague smell
of raspberries.
Old 24-07-2003, 05:12 PM
James Curts

"Cass" wrote in message
.. .
In article %CzTa.128064$Ph3.16765@sccrnsc04, James Curts
wrote:

"Cass" wrote in message
.. .
Does it look like this:
http://www.rosefog.us/Roseoftheday/ThorOct02.jpg

Why, yes, it does look quite similar to the photo although most of the

black
is on the outer petals. The blooms coming on now are not so distinct so
can't give a real comparison.

The photo is very close though but without the pinkish tinges near the
center (or perhaps that is just the lighting).

The pink toward the center is a reflection. Here's the deal on this
rose: early in the season, mine is quite rosey red with a wild white
stripe every once in a while:

http://www.rosefog.us/imagesJtoZ/UnknownRedCl.jpg

Then as the season progresses, they get darker and larger, up to 5 or 6
inches across, like the first bloom shot in October.

How about scent? Does Old Meany have scent? This rose has a vague smell
of raspberries.

Old Meany has a very faint scent of an old rose bush. Today a new bloom came
on full and has 3-4 petals with tiny white places on them. I sure hope it
isn't mutating.

Jim

Old 24-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Cass

In article dDSTa.136485$Ph3.17324@sccrnsc04, James Curts
wrote:

"Cass" wrote in message
.. .
In article %CzTa.128064$Ph3.16765@sccrnsc04, James Curts
wrote:

"Cass" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The red rose for which I've posted pictures has those tiny white
stripes. Sounds like they are pretty similar. The name of my rose might
be Thor, though there is some question about the identification. It
came as an unidentified rose and causes a stir where ever it goes.
Short, stuffy stems, but still, it's wonderful in the vase and lasts
forever.

--
Cass