Old 30-07-2003, 09:35 PM
saki

Default Your best and worst rose?

elfa wrote in
:

This has probably been asked before but I haven't seen it.

Anyone care to post their single BEST performing (not favorite) rose.
The one that consistantly produces blossoms with the least amount of
hassle. The one that you would recommend in good conscience to a
first timer who didn't care about color but just wanted a steady
performer without having to 'baby' it.

Well, if the first-timer is willing to put up with a small shrub that
sports a single rose, I'd say Papa Hemeray, a China from Ashdown, looks
something like Marjorie Fair, red to crimson with a white eye. This has
been in constant bloom for me since February. My location BTW is Southern
California, USDA 10.

Runner-up would be International Herald Tribune, almost as floriferous with
a color more akin to red-violet. Neither rose has the classic HT form,
however, nor fragrance, but they'd be beautiful in a border. Another option
is Gruss an Aachen, an older (1909) floribunda, delicate shell-pink, OGR-
style fragrance and form on a petite bush.

How about the one rose you have that makes you want to get your money
back. The embarassment to your rose garden.

Haven't encountered one in this category yet, thankfully!

----

Old 30-07-2003, 10:07 PM
Unique Too

elfa writes:

Anyone care to post their single BEST performing (not favorite) rose. The
one
that consistantly produces blossoms with the least amount of hassle. The one
that you would recommend in good conscience to a first timer who didn't care
about color but just wanted a steady performer without having to 'baby' it.

Usually the question is; "What is your favorite rose?" You've worded this
differently and I had to think about it first. I believe Belinda's Dream is
the rose I would suggest to a newcomer and it fits the part of "consistantly
produces blossoms with the least amount of hassle." It's rarely without blooms
and has a great fragrance. The flower shape is similar to an HT so to many
people it fits the description of "a rose." Although not long lasting in a
vase the flowers can be cut and brought inside. It is blackspot resistant and
has a pleasing plant shape. The only negative I can think of is the balling
during your regular summer showers. And not all blooms are affected, only
those at a certain stage during a rainstorm. Overall, it is a great rose for
this area.

How about the one rose you have that makes you want to get your money back.
The
embarassment to your rose garden.

This took even longer to answer. I think there is only one answer, but for two
very different reasons for each part of the question.
The simple answer is none.
I don't think I could say I want my money back about any rose I've ever bought.
Sure there are many that have been discarded and a couple that didn't survive.
But from each of them I learned something. From the hybrid teas I discovered
I really don't care the growth of the plants. Nor am I willing to put up with
all the blackspot even when they are regularly sprayed. From the cheap
miniatures I got from the box stored I discovered, minis really don't inspire
me, I much prefer larger plants and flowers. The bareroot Antique '89 that
never came alive, taught me to be very careful of the potting mix I use and to
make certain the drainage in pots is adequate. And on it goes. Really there
aren't any I want my money back.
To answer the second part of the question. There aren't any embarassments in
the garden. Really. There have been many occasions that I couldn't answer
that way, but at the present I can. Space is so limited that the ones I
wouldn't want to share with others are gone. All of them. Finally.
Now if you want a list of the roses that were embarassing, that could get
rather long. Rather quickly I can come up with thise: Moonstone, Dr Huey, Angel
Face, Barbara Worll, and First Edition.
Interesting questions, Elfa. It's good for us to think of our roses in these
terms and be reminded of the good and bad.

Julie

Old 30-07-2003, 10:16 PM
dave weil

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:52:09 GMT, "Theo Asir"
wrote:

This constantly changes but right
now we are going through a serious
drought phase. Driest July on record
w/ about 1/16th inch of rain so far.

Best performing roses right now.
- Prairie Princess absolute heat tolerant bloom machine.
- Felicia Get more perfumed in hot sun.

I sure am glad to see this rose mentioned. Mine has been totally
decimated by the ole Japanese Beetles, but it's coming back now and I
fully expect a great August and September.

A caveat though - here, it gets blackspot at the mere mention of the
word.

- Tamora 3' bloom machine. Heat tolerant.

Worst

- Compte de chambord spiney mass of canes not a bloom in sight.
- George vancouver wilting wilting wilting despite all the watering.
- Ambridge rose Only rose w/ blackspot in this dry spell!

My best? I have to note this caveat - this rose is only 2 months old
(in the ground).

Belami.

Here's a pictu

http://www3.pbase.com/image/19804079

I know that I'm pretty new to this rose thing and all, and that this
might not be the kind of extraordinary performance that some of you
might be used to, but frankly, I haven't had *any* HT that has come
close to thowing the kind of blooms that this one has in its first
season. There are 29 partially opened to fully opened blooms on the
three bushes and another 7 buds yet to open. There are probably 3
blooms that are ready to be trimmed because they are over-the-hill.
That's almost 40 buds and/or blooms on the 3 plants at the same time.

When this thing grows into the 5- 7 ft. bush that I expect that it
will, I think that I'll have hundreds of blooms for my vases...

To give you some perspective, these three plants were bare root plants
sitting in a box on my porch on Memorial Day of this year.

They get full sun all day and they are growing in my amazing native
soil. Still...

Here's what they looked like on 6.02.03:

http://www.pbase.com/image/19804228

My worst performing rose?

This unknown white thing. Boring, boring, boring. If only it were the
Europeana that it was billed to be.

http://www3.pbase.com/image/19804805

Old 30-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Theo Asir

A caveat though - here, it gets blackspot at the mere mention of the
word.

Hmm! mine has stayed clean
even as Abe Darby next door has
suffered repeated BS attacks.

Maybe its time to kick up the BS
protection up a notch.

Belami.

Here's a pictu

http://www3.pbase.com/image/19804079

I know that I'm pretty new to this rose thing and all, and that this
might not be the kind of extraordinary performance that some of you
might be used to, but frankly, I haven't had *any* HT that has come
close to thowing the kind of blooms that this one has in its first
season. There are 29 partially opened to fully opened blooms on the
three bushes and another 7 buds yet to open. There are probably 3
blooms that are ready to be trimmed because they are over-the-hill.
That's almost 40 buds and/or blooms on the 3 plants at the same time.

It does look amazingly healthy.
Is it naturally resistant to disease
or is much chemical warefare going one?

When this thing grows into the 5- 7 ft. bush that I expect that it
will, I think that I'll have hundreds of blooms for my vases...

To give you some perspective, these three plants were bare root plants
sitting in a box on my porch on Memorial Day of this year.

They get full sun all day and they are growing in my amazing native
soil. Still...

Here's what they looked like on 6.02.03:

http://www.pbase.com/image/19804228

My worst performing rose?

This unknown white thing. Boring, boring, boring. If only it were the
Europeana that it was billed to be.

http://www3.pbase.com/image/19804805

Dave that looks amazingly link the rose Fabulous.
It was a seedling of Iceberg that was supposed
to be an improvement. It was nothing
of the kind in my garden and soon found the
garbage pile.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 30-07-2003, 11:12 PM
dave weil

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:25:33 GMT, "Theo Asir"
wrote:

[...]

So far, there has been absolutely *no* spraying of any kind. But it's
a young thing. I don't think that the nasty bacteria and fungi have
realized that I have a new rose bed. Of course, this bed is pretty far
from any other plants...

I'm just amazed how well these plants have done. I hope that they
continue to do that well...

When this thing grows into the 5- 7 ft. bush that I expect that it
will, I think that I'll have hundreds of blooms for my vases...

To give you some perspective, these three plants were bare root plants
sitting in a box on my porch on Memorial Day of this year.

They get full sun all day and they are growing in my amazing native
soil. Still...

Here's what they looked like on 6.02.03:

http://www.pbase.com/image/19804228

My worst performing rose?

This unknown white thing. Boring, boring, boring. If only it were the
Europeana that it was billed to be.

http://www3.pbase.com/image/19804805

Dave that looks amazingly link the rose Fabulous.
It was a seedling of Iceberg that was supposed
to be an improvement. It was nothing
of the kind in my garden and soon found the
garbage pile.

Hmmm, I'll have to look that up...

Well, I've looked that up and it could very well be that rose.

What a dog! Maybe it will get better next year though. I'll transplant
this sucker to a better, more "full sun" location later this fall and
see it does. After all, I don't have any white roses. And i paid $3.99
for it at Krogers!
Old 30-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Shiva

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:04:08 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

My best? I have to note this caveat - this rose is only 2 months old
(in the ground).

Belami.

You are not the first I've heard rave about this newcomer.

Here's a pictu

http://www3.pbase.com/image/19804079

Hmmm. I thought Belami was a blend. Yours sure looks p-p-p-PINK! Also,
I have an aversion to quilled petals. Strange, I know. But I just
don't like the look.

I know that I'm pretty new to this rose thing and all, and that this
might not be the kind of extraordinary performance that some of you
might be used to, but frankly, I haven't had *any* HT that has come
close to thowing the kind of blooms that this one has in its first
season. There are 29 partially opened to fully opened blooms on the
three bushes and another 7 buds yet to open.

I would call that truly amazing. None of my bare root hts has
performed that well the first year.

P.S. Get another Europeana! I am getting several. Great rose, a fav of
the voles. I'm like Charlie Brown always falling for that football
Lucy holds for him. But for Europeana, it's worth it.
Old 31-07-2003, 12:02 AM
dave weil

wrote:

My best? I have to note this caveat - this rose is only 2 months old
(in the ground).

Belami.

You are not the first I've heard rave about this newcomer.

Here's a pictu

http://www3.pbase.com/image/19804079

Hmmm. I thought Belami was a blend. Yours sure looks p-p-p-PINK! Also,
I have an aversion to quilled petals. Strange, I know. But I just
don't like the look.

Ohhh, this isn't a Shiva rose, that's fer sure. It's p-p-p--PINK.
Sure, it fades to a creamy whitish-pink and all that. But it's PINK.
Not salmon, not yellow-centered, not orange-tinted. PINK. It's as pink
as pink can be. It's Pinky and the Brain. It's Pink, the singer. It's
pinker than pink.

I know that I'm pretty new to this rose thing and all, and that this
might not be the kind of extraordinary performance that some of you
might be used to, but frankly, I haven't had *any* HT that has come
close to thowing the kind of blooms that this one has in its first
season. There are 29 partially opened to fully opened blooms on the
three bushes and another 7 buds yet to open.

I would call that truly amazing. None of my bare root hts has
performed that well the first year.

I've been pretty astounded. My other Belami didn't do that well, but
it wasn't in full sun all day. It was sandwiched between a rapidly
growing Felicia and my house. That one is doing pretty well now that
I've transplanted it next to my side porch. It's still a little leggy,
but it's thrown some really nice blooms this year...

Amazingly, as I write this, three more blooms have gone
"over-the-hill" since i wrote my earlier post early this afternoon.
However, this shouldn't be interpreted as not long-lived. The
fully-opened blooms have been around about a week...

P.S. Get another Europeana! I am getting several. Great rose, a fav of
the voles. I'm like Charlie Brown always falling for that football
Lucy holds for him. But for Europeana, it's worth it.

I'm sure I will. I just won't get it as one of those plastic-wrapped
$3.00 semi-bare-rooted, moss packed supermarket delights with a fuzzy
pic of the bloom on the wrapper.

....don't say it...why did I get them in the first place? Impulse buy,
babee!
Old 31-07-2003, 05:34 AM
Cass

In article , elfa
wrote:

This has probably been asked before but I haven't seen it.

Anyone care to post their single BEST performing (not favorite) rose. The one
that consistantly produces blossoms with the least amount of hassle. The one
that you would recommend in good conscience to a first timer who didn't care
about color but just wanted a steady performer without having to 'baby' it.

Lavender Dream

How about the one rose you have that makes you want to get your money back.
The embarassment to your rose garden.

Only one? Well the other lousy ones have at least produced *one* bloom
worth looking at this year, so the biggest loser has to be Clotilde
Soupert.
Old 31-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Rosa Rosam

The fact Trudie is the worst in my garden doesn't mean much you know.
could be me, the place (zone 10), on what it's grafted etc..
So maybe I'll train again one day.
maybe, hey.
Jocelen
www.rosarosam.com

"Mark. Gooley" wrote in message

"Rosa Rosam" wrote in message:
Worst : Gertrude Jekkyl / Dresden Doll / Tequila Sunrise are on the

goners
list.

Interesting. I bought my Mom a Gertrude Jekyll about a decade ago
and for the first few years it was rudely healthy and bloomed heavily.
Eventually she killed it by transplanting it. That was zone 5a, in
Illinois.
Other people have made similar claims of GJ being bulletproof.

I wonder how it would do here in 8b in Florida. I'll try for an own-root.

Mark.

Old 31-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Unique Too

Cass writes:

How about the one rose you have that makes you want to get your money back.

The embarassment to your rose garden.

Only one? Well the other lousy ones have at least produced *one* bloom
worth looking at this year, so the biggest loser has to be Clotilde
Soupert.

Funny how different roses perform in different locations. Clotilde is one of
my best roses. I like most everything about this rose. It doesn't even
blackspot. The only negative is it must be deadheaded because the faded
blooms look awful. Another negative that can be a positive, it's small. I
like that I can tuck it in a small space, but wish the blooms were easier to
see and smell. I've always heard it will ball in wet weather, but that hasn't
been much of a problem with mine and it's not due to lack of rain.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:57 AM
Cass

Unique Too wrote:

Cass writes:

How about the one rose you have that makes you want to get your money back.

The embarassment to your rose garden.

Only one? ... Clotilde Soupert.

Funny how different roses perform in different locations. Clotilde is one of
my best roses. I like most everything about this rose. It doesn't even
blackspot. The only negative is it must be deadheaded because the faded
blooms look awful. Another negative that can be a positive, it's small. I
like that I can tuck it in a small space, but wish the blooms were easier to
see and smell. I've always heard it will ball in wet weather, but that hasn't
been much of a problem with mine and it's not due to lack of rain.

Don't get me wrong. I love Clotilde, but Clotilde doesn't love me. I
think I got two blooms this year. I'm going to pot her up and move her
to a good home in the country, away from coast.

I bet you can grow Mme. Driout too? She ties Clotilde with one bloom
this year. Magenta makes it a trio of losers.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Shiva

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:02:34 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:40:20 GMT, (Shiva) wrote:

Ohhh, this isn't a Shiva rose, that's fer sure. It's p-p-p--PINK.
Sure, it fades to a creamy whitish-pink and all that. But it's PINK.
Not salmon, not yellow-centered, not orange-tinted. PINK. It's as pink
as pink can be. It's Pinky and the Brain. It's Pink, the singer. It's
pinker than pink.

Oooo *flinching* Thanks.

I've been pretty astounded. My other Belami didn't do that well, but
it wasn't in full sun all day.

Man, with all the problems roses can have under the best
circumstances, I cannot imagine starting them out without full sun. If
I couldn't cut trees or something to create more sunlight, I would
just have to grow something else.

It was sandwiched between a rapidly
growing Felicia and my house.

You didn't know how big Felicia was going to get, did you?

P.S. Get another Europeana! I am getting several. Great rose, a fav of
the voles. I'm like Charlie Brown always falling for that football
Lucy holds for him. But for Europeana, it's worth it.

I'm sure I will. I just won't get it as one of those plastic-wrapped
$3.00 semi-bare-rooted, moss packed supermarket delights with a fuzzy
pic of the bloom on the wrapper.

My first Europeana was the best, a bare root from Edmunds. Lots of
vigor, only problem was mildew in the fall. IF you don't protect it
with fungicide. For 2004 I am ordering all potted ownroots and
reserving some funds for potted grafted roses. No more bare roots,
they are too much trouble for when it turns out so many die, as they
did this year.

...don't say it...why did I get them in the first place? Impulse buy,
babee!

Hey, I do it all the time. The two Circus I got at one of the 'Marts
are still in pots, but going big guns! I think cheapie roses are fine
as long as they are potted and BLOOMING!

Old 01-08-2003, 06:12 PM
dave weil

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:17:48 GMT, (Shiva) wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:02:34 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:40:20 GMT,
(Shiva) wrote:

Ohhh, this isn't a Shiva rose, that's fer sure. It's p-p-p--PINK.
Sure, it fades to a creamy whitish-pink and all that. But it's PINK.
Not salmon, not yellow-centered, not orange-tinted. PINK. It's as pink
as pink can be. It's Pinky and the Brain. It's Pink, the singer. It's
pinker than pink.

Oooo *flinching* Thanks.

Didn't mean to hurt you g

I've been pretty astounded. My other Belami didn't do that well, but
it wasn't in full sun all day.

Man, with all the problems roses can have under the best
circumstances, I cannot imagine starting them out without full sun. If
I couldn't cut trees or something to create more sunlight, I would
just have to grow something else.

I would have had to move my house g.

It got full sun until about 1 pm. The Felicia gets full sun for an
extra 1/2 hr or two due to its size.

It was sandwiched between a rapidly
growing Felicia and my house.

You didn't know how big Felicia was going to get, did you?

I really didn't have an idea of the shape. All I know is that they are
both listed at about 6 feet, but, at the time that I bought them (as I
was just getting into roses), I didn't realize that a 6 foot HT is
different than a bushy 6 foot arching antique rose.

If I had known, I would have put the Belami in front of the Felicia,
but this still wouldn't have been great because it turns out that the
Felicia is about the perfect size for that little plot of ground and
there isn't a lot of room for much else (my Joseph's Coat is getting
moved this fall, because it's now under a canopy of a rapidly growing
tree that adjoins this bed). The Grootendorst doesn't matter very
much, because it was always intended to simply be a backdrop and BOY
is it ugly.

The moved Belami is growing pretty nicely by the porch now, although
it's a little crowded by the zinnias that popped up from previous
plantings.

P.S. Get another Europeana! I am getting several. Great rose, a fav of
the voles. I'm like Charlie Brown always falling for that football
Lucy holds for him. But for Europeana, it's worth it.

I'm sure I will. I just won't get it as one of those plastic-wrapped
$3.00 semi-bare-rooted, moss packed supermarket delights with a fuzzy
pic of the bloom on the wrapper.

My first Europeana was the best, a bare root from Edmunds. Lots of
vigor, only problem was mildew in the fall. IF you don't protect it
with fungicide. For 2004 I am ordering all potted ownroots and
reserving some funds for potted grafted roses. No more bare roots,
they are too much trouble for when it turns out so many die, as they
did this year.

My original came from Edmunds as well, but it had the bad luck of
gettng crown gall. Boy, was it pretty for the year that I had it
though.

...don't say it...why did I get them in the first place? Impulse buy,
babee!

Hey, I do it all the time. The two Circus I got at one of the 'Marts
are still in pots, but going big guns! I think cheapie roses are fine
as long as they are potted and BLOOMING!

Yeah, pics from this particular company don't look anything like the
blooms! guffaw! So far, of the three plants that I have bought this
way, I'm 0 for 3. And two of them are pretty wimpy looking plants
(from a bloom standpoint).
Old 01-08-2003, 07:23 PM
JimS.

s.com...
wrote:
I'm sure I will. I just won't get it as one of those plastic-wrapped
$3.00 semi-bare-rooted, moss packed supermarket delights with a fuzzy
pic of the bloom on the wrapper.

...don't say it...why did I get them in the first place? Impulse buy,
babee!

Hey, I do it all the time. The two Circus I got at one of the 'Marts
are still in pots, but going big guns! I think cheapie roses are fine
as long as they are potted and BLOOMING!

The best thing about cheapie bagged roses--- if they **** you off (by not
growing, by spotting, by whatever...) it's that much easier to 86 'em to
make room for something else! Believe me, I'll be doing some of that next
year. When space gets tough....the junk gets going! Mine will all get
their lecture in late winter next year. The ones that don't shape
up...well, you know.....

JimS.
Seattle